Curt Gowdy passes..

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Great voice of so many great sporting events.

I will never forget his call of Super Bowl III when the Jets upset the Colts

RIP.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/02/20/Sports/gowdy_curt_died060220.html

Broadcaster Curt Gowdy dead at 86
WebPosted Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:48:11 EST
CBC Sports

Long-time sports broadcaster Curt Gowdy has died at the age of 86.

The sad announcement came Monday from a Boston Red Sox spokesman, who said Gowdy passed away in Palm Beach, Florida, after a battle with leukemia.

Gowdy, best known as the voice of the Boston Red Sox, was born in 1919 and made his broadcasting debut in 1944 at a high school football game in Cheyenne, Wyoming, his home state.

He went on to call baseball and basketball games in Oklahoma City and developed a distinctive play-by-play style that would characterize his entire career. His manner on air was always full of warmth, good humour and enthusiasm.

In 1949, the call came to join Mel Allen in calling New York Yankees games. Two years later he joined the Red Sox as lead announcer, a position he held for the next 15 years.

He left the post in 1966 for a 10-year run as Game of the Week announcer for NBC.

The tributes came in fast and furious for Gowdy on Monday, following news of his passing.

"He's certainly the greatest play-by-play person up to this point that NBC sports has ever had," NBC Universal Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said. "He literally carried the sports division at NBC for so many years on his back. ... He was a remarkable talent and he was an even more remarkable human being."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig called Gowdy "one of the legendary broadcasters of our game."

"His distinct voice was a comfort to a generation of baseball fans in New England and throughout the country," he said.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, called Gowdy a "pioneer in our business and set the highest of standards for everyone in sports broadcasting."

"His many contributions to ABC, as host of American Sportsman and other ABC Sports' programs, are indelible," he said.

Red Sox player John Pesky, speaking from Red Sox training camp in Fort Myers, remembered Pesky as "a peach of a guy." Pesky said Gowdy was always in the clubhouse before games and always eager to talk.

"He was really easy to speak to," he added.

Gowdy's credits are seemingly endless and include, most notably, Major League Baseball and college basketball. Over his career he called 13 World Series, 16 baseball all-star games, nine Super Bowls, 14 Rose Bowls, eight Olympic Games and 24 NCAA Final Fours.

He also hosted ABC's long-running American Sportsman series.

Gowdy received a number of major awards, including the George Foster Peabody Award, the Ford C. Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Pete Rozelle Award from the Professional Football Hall of Fame, and a lifetime-achievement Emmy Award in 1992.

He was selected to the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame in 1995.

The broadcaster owned several radio stations in Massachusetts and Wyoming.

with files from Associated Press

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
:D

Yeah...well, it took me longer to post my thread because my article is longer than yours.

That's the ONLY thing of yours longer than mine... ;)