News: CW: Aikman's thoughts on if Kellen Moore is Cowboys HC-in-waiting

kevm3

Reaction score
That's the exact problem with this organization. Our GM is the Jones boys and they want to take the approach of, "I put my buddy in there or I groomed the next boy genius, so see! I was the cause of all this success!" Instead of us looking for the most qualified coach, wherever he may be, we are stuck with guys that can strike up a buddy relationship with Jerry or can play themselves as adopted son.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That's the exact problem with this organization. Our GM is the Jones boys and they want to take the approach of, "I put my buddy in there or I groomed the next boy genius, so see! I was the cause of all this success!" Instead of us looking for the most qualified coach, wherever he may be, we are stuck with guys that can strike up a buddy relationship with Jerry or can play themselves as adopted son.

Feels like JG all over again. Dump the HC, and hire the OC who has no business sticking around as the new HC and wait another 10 years to find out he was the wrong choice and totally inadequate and unqualified. Mediocre at best. History repeating itself. Yeah, that Jones' way of thinking alright.

Cmac

Reaction score
Hoping something into existence doesn't always work. We've seen the HC in waiting act before.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Will Boy Genius sabotage the Big Blue M&M like Redball Express did Winnie the Pooh/Son of a Bum?

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t know if Moore is HC in waiting but I bet he gets HC job offers in the next few years
Contrary to popular opinion here, I think around the league he is well respected

Plankton

Reaction score
Ehhh that's a bit harsh. Just because he isn't as good as Romo doesn't make him bad. Joe Buck is the terrible one.

giphy.gif

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's going to be another 25 years before we see a Super Bowl. :(

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you don't have a coveted asst labeled head coach then you have a crap staff.
No one was calling Scott Linehan or Rod M head-coaches in waiting and Kris Richard only had the tag for about 6 months.
But Bowles, Eberflus, Zimmer when he was here? All had that tag.

Again no sense continually going down Aikman rabbit hole. He can likely get a GM chance if he wants but outside Dallas is best for all involved.
He turns the Chargers or Raiders into winners then I would be willing to money whip as GM after 3-5 years.
But right now teams around the league would favor Will McClay over Troy by a wide margin and with good reason.

If HOU could have stolen Will McClay away last time they tried then they would have never traded Hopkins for a bag of beans and be in this position with Watson.
That's why you get proven GMs and not just anoint guys you like.