News: CW: Geriatric Cowboys continue calling on veteran FA, hoping they're fine wine

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
At this point, I have no problem with them trying every body to see if they are able. It's the only way we have left to improve the depth (outside of a trade), a bunch of shots in the dark. Keep throwing the dull, broken darts and hope one of them sticks.

Reaction score
After all these years of bad scouting/gm decisions I'm curious if the Cowboys have even considered trying to correct their inability to find pro bowl caliber DTs. I don't like suggesting that someone should lose their job but something has to change!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We wouldn't have this problem if we didn't draft so well Lamb Micah Dak diggs bland Smith etc, we're going to be cash strapped for years, this will be the only way to go low budget guys

CowboysRule

Reaction score
:facepalm:

You really just set yourself up with these statements...
What did he say that was wrong though? We have drafted some really good players over the past couple years (and some really bad ones as well) and they will want to be paid when the time comes. It makes it harder to sign FA when you are trying to keep the guys you drafted around. Of course, the comments will be negative either way. Either we let someone go for nothing or Jerry overpaid for them. He can't win with the fans.

LittleD

Reaction score
What did he say that was wrong though? We have drafted some really good players over the past couple years (and some really bad ones as well) and they will want to be paid when the time comes. It makes it harder to sign FA when you are trying to keep the guys you drafted around. Of course, the comments will be negative either way. Either we let someone go for nothing or Jerry overpaid for them. He can't win with the fans.
Nothing...Dallas is just playing the vested veteran cards they have. They are testing, measuring and weighing several veterans to see if they want to sign them in week 2 of the season so that their contracts are not guaranteed for the season. When you pay your top 10 players most of the cap, this is what good teams do to compete during a long season.

foofighters

Reaction score
"We wouldn't have this problem if we didn't draft so well."

It's the cost of doing business. It's called managing your resources. Every team has to let someone go by paying another. So now Coogles has a problem with Jerry and Co drafting well? Geez.

What's the alternative? We draft poorly and have money to spend but then what's Jerry's history in FA? Come on...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have zero issue with the Cowboys churning the bottom of the roster at weak positions right now, it's absolutely what they should be doing in their current position. The issue is had they gone out and spent just a little bit of money, pursued some of those 3rd/4th tier free agents they wouldn't have to scrape the bottom of the barrell in hoping to find a rare hidden gem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This reads like a very emotional article.

Based on their circumstances, the Cowboys don’t have much choice but to shop in the bargain bin. Roll the dice and see if a cheap veteran free agent still has something left.

Teams do this all the time, especially those with cap constraints.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Quick, send USA a list of next year's top players so they can get in line with the election and start crying for next year Cowboys. Dallas still has to work in two more very top shelf costing players.

Creeper

Reaction score
First, I see nothing wrong with giving any player a look to see what he has left. If he is better than what they have the upgrade.

I also don't see a problem signing older guys to pair with younger guys. Unfortunately, at DT our young guy is Mazi and honestly, in his case it might just be a question of ability. I don't know that Joseph or Phillips can help him.

I would try to go younger at RB which is a position where durability becomes an issue earlier in a player's career.
But, is 29 old now? 35 is definitely old, but 29 seems like it is still prime years territory.