News: CW: Geriatric Cowboys continue calling on veteran FA, hoping they're fine wine

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This reads like a very emotional article.

Based on their circumstances, the Cowboys don’t have much choice but to shop in the bargain bin. Roll the dice and see if a cheap veteran free agent still has something left.

Teams do this all the time, especially those with cap constraints.
Most of those teams haven't gone the entire 21st Century so far without making it to at least one conference title game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would try to go younger at RB which is a position where durability becomes an issue earlier in a player's career.
But, is 29 old now? 35 is definitely old, but 29 seems like it is still prime years territory.
In running back years 29 is ancient with the exception of a select few. Zeke is 29 and certainly not in his prime. Todd Gurley is 29 and been retired for a few years now. Austin Ekeler is 29 and coming off a by far career worst 3.5ypc. If an RB hits 30 and free agency they are basically retired unless you were a top guy. Its just so incredibly difficult to stay healthy at that position.

slick325

Reaction score
Stephen says that all fair weather fans can go pound sand.
I couldn't hear it because it wasn't directed to me. I've been a fan since Tony Dorsett's rookie season. Nothing fairweather about me. So, talk that nonsense to someone else.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
"We wouldn't have this problem if we didn't draft so well."

It's the cost of doing business. It's called managing your resources. Every team has to let someone go by paying another. So now Coogles has a problem with Jerry and Co drafting well? Geez.

What's the alternative? We draft poorly and have money to spend but then what's Jerry's history in FA? Come on...
Or they could, ya know… trade some of these guys before they walk in FA and net more draft capital

blueblood70

Reaction score
First, I see nothing wrong with giving any player a look to see what he has left. If he is better than what they have the upgrade.

I also don't see a problem signing older guys to pair with younger guys. Unfortunately, at DT our young guy is Mazi and honestly, in his case it might just be a question of ability. I don't know that Joseph or Phillips can help him.

I would try to go younger at RB which is a position where durability becomes an issue earlier in a player's career.
But, is 29 old now? 35 is definitely old, but 29 seems like it is still prime years territory.
It's true and I think the ironic thing is here is I don't think anybody here around the NFL or they're talking about the Cowboys like this failed to mention that these same players are making their rounds around the NFL and they're on other teams rosters these are not guys that have been retired for years and we brought them from working at Home Depot this is literally players who are also been pieces in depth around the league I mean last year Dalvin cop what's on The Jets but he had a bad shoulder apparently and I can believe that he also was behind a really good running back but he also was released and then picked up by a playoff team in the Ravens who saw something in him and now he feels like he's in good shape he's rehab he's ready to go it's not a big deal and I hope that we don't have to see him but the Cowboys are bringing players over here that were on other teams rosters the last few years they are not the only team that does this when you're building out three team roster all teams have players like this that just change teams..

These are low risk players if they don't workout it's really just hey let's fill in some holes this year and they can look to the draft next year to get the players they didn't get in the draft this year they will get a running back they may even get another pass rusher early they're going to fill in the blanks you can't fix it in one year so you need gap fillers these are depth equal to what I refer to as gap fillers...

The NFL naturally turns over at least 17% of their players every year on each roster in more than some cases you have to have players like this available to give you some rotational depth that's it there's nothing to see here it's not a big deal these players on our on other people's team this is not a Jerry Jones or a Dallas cowboy thing this is the NFL this is what all teams are doing..

Don't you find it ironic that most of the Dallas cowboy cast off the people we cut the people we let go weather is for Asia because it didn't work out they're making their rounds around other teams rosters literally almost all of them have been picked up after we cut them ,including guys like Jaylon Smith, I mean all these guys are supposed to be washed, not good enough to play, but they end up on other people's rosters isn't that ironic?!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Or they could, ya know… trade some of these guys before they walk in FA and net more draft capital
Has Jerry contacted Emmitt yet to see if he’s “in the best shape of his life” and ready for a comeback, lol!
Oh yes keep them coming the knee jerk reactions and ridiculous statements made by people who do know that dalvin cook was on the team last year regardless of an injury regardless of his production or lack thereof he was not only picked up by The Jets he was picked up by the Ravens after that and a bunch of these other players it's really ironic that all these players were on rosters last year the other team somehow had them on their team all this bottom of the roster journey is done by all teams all these guys are still active in the NFL and they've been playing they were not brought off the street they were not retired they were not working at Home Depot... So yes make fun and mock except for most of us realize that's reality NFL and building your roster and filling gaps all teams do it every single team in the NFL has these players on their team how do I know it cause a bunch of EX-players are still playing on other people's teams ones that we thought were washed up and couldn't play...

By the way one of the ones that I noticed recently and I thought maybe I had the wrong player of similar name I remember when Malik Collins was here he was talked about a whole lot like Neville gallimore they said he couldn't play he was average he was below average he was a Jag we should cut him get rid of him what does he do go make himself a nice career and now got highly paid and it's on what team yes the San Francisco 49ers seems so long ago that we were making fun of this guy here as if he couldn't play that's why I say Neville gallimore that is who would be the cop on the type of things being said about a defensive tackle that we got rid of...ironic huh?