News: CW: Grading Cowboys' offseason moves at midway point of 2022 season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree it would have been very hard to keep him away from the Rams, but would like to have at least seen some effort. I think the Cowboys were on the short list, but he said the Cowboys never really showed much interest.
He asked a lot of jack initially and Dallas was absolutely out at those prices.
He fell back some but ended up in LA on what is really a 3-year 29M deal.
Dallas got Barr for deal that only hits 3M with incentives met.

Wagner is a better player but he wasn't a better deal.
And I know fans hate this comes back to cap space but Dalals isn't in a 1- or 2-year window. They are building a monster here.
They are starting a ton of guys with 3 years' experience or less.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. Not sure how he gets an A-?

The kid has been so good that it seems to be taken for granted.
I notice the YouTubers (Cavanaugh/Voch try to say stuff like he is just ok. They wanted a 40 year old to block the quarterbacks blind side.:facepalm:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I stated from the beginning that there were multiple embarrassing grades. But apparently you see what you want to see.
I asked which grades and you pointed to one so I responded based on that.

Again his team is 6-2 and spent 5 games without QB1. Anyone would say that is an A situation.
With QB1 back they have went 2-0 and wont hose games by 18 and 20 points.

Not even the Mad Hater could assign poor grades to this team or front office right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I notice the YouTubers (Cavanaugh/Voch try to say stuff like he is just ok. They wanted a 40 year old to block the quarterbacks blind side.:facepalm:

If I’m being honest, so did I. I felt Peters was the better option initially given his experience. But I can admit that I was wrong and not have to try to minimize how well Tyler Smith is going out there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I asked which grades and you pointed to one so I responded based on that.

Again his team is 6-2 and spent 5 games without QB1. Anyone would say that is an A situation.

Sure. If that were the one grade we were handing out? Yes. Overall, I’d say it’s an A situation to be 6-2 given the circumstances. But that’s not what Drummond did.

With QB1 back they have went 2-0 and wont hose games by 18 and 20 points.

Not even the Mad Hater could assign poor grades to this team or front office right now.

When he breaks them down individually, I respond individually.

But I’ll gladly talk about the whole picture. What they’ve done right and what they’ve done wrong.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Some grades are a bit generous, but the Cowboys did have one heck of an offseason. Well done McClay.

BTW, as somebody else mentioned, the article didn't even feature our best free agent signing: Dante Fowler - A. He was our arguably best defensive player last week against the Bears.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If I’m being honest, so did I. I felt Peters was the better option initially given his experience. But I can admit that I was wrong and not have to try to minimize how well Tyler Smith is going out there.
The problem is you can’t depend on hurt or old players. I have a feeling they might do something stupid a month from.:facepalm: Hopefully I am wrong about Tyron.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is you can’t depend on hurt or old players. I have a feeling they might do something stupid a month from.:facepalm: Hopefully I am wrong about Tyron.

At least we can take a measure of comfort in knowing that Tyler Smith can play left tackle if need be.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm having flashbacks to last year, when folks spent the second half of the season debating how much credit the front office deserved...and then the playoffs happened.

Three playoff wins in 27 years. Good thing we have a real front office.
You are definitely entitled to feel that way but then if that is the case Bye week minutia isn't gonna be your thing.
Can only grade based on what has actually happened thus far.
And you had them at an F or D in the off-season then it's also OK to admit "up to this point" you were very, very wrong.

JustChip

Reaction score
How is Ridgeway anything but an F?
He was a 5th round pick (2nd from last - an eyelash from being a 6th round pick) that made the roster. He got caught in roster machinations trying to get him to the Practice Squad and signed by another NFL to their roster. Not sure how much he’s played in their games, but that tain’t bad for pick #178.

Proof

Reaction score
He was a 5th round pick (2nd from last - an eyelash from being a 6th round pick) that made the roster. He got caught in roster machinations trying to get him to the Practice Squad and signed by another NFL to their roster. Not sure how much he’s played in their games, but that tain’t bad for pick #178.

fair enough. I’d argue that we have 5th 6th and UDFAs on the active roster contributing, and we just cut a DT but I’m not passionate about it