News: CW: Parsons No. 16 in NFL Top 100, highest ranking LB, Cowboys player

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Parsons did far more than get sacks.

He was terrific playing the run.

He often shutdown passes in the flat to RBs.
- He covered RB Aaron Jones on those better than any LB that I've seen.

Parsons even covered starting WRs, including on a go-route.

He changed the entire defense. The fact that QBs have no idea what he will do from snap to snap is an incredible asset.

Everyone in the building knew Cupp was getting the ball and he was still open. He won the Bucs game, the 9ers game, and the super bowl for LA

Parsons had a strong LB season, the best Dallas has had in awhile. Cooper Kupp had one of the single greatest WR seasons we’ve ever seen

stilltheguru

Reaction score
So you favor him playing a more traditional linebacker role?
I'm saying when he's doing his linebacker duties he needs to be more of a playmaker besides predictable blitzes. He said he wants to be Aaron Donald so I hold him to that standard.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm saying when he's doing his linebacker duties he needs to be more of a playmaker besides predictable blitzes. He said he wants to be Aaron Donald so I hold him to that standard.
I'm confused, but this is probably a good place to stop.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am quite confident several in their top 10, won't be there at the end of the season. I don't know where Micah rates and I would want to see him do it for a second year when everyone has had a year to scheme against him. But if he is close to what he was last year, he is pretty close to being top 10 in my book.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Love Parsons but he clearly got a Cowboys bump. No way he should rank above 3-time All-Pro LB Shaq (formerly Darius) Leonard from the Colts nor Justin Jefferson at this point. But these lists are never perfect. Brady at #1 is proof of that.
The dude should have had 10 more sacks for all of the holds that were not called. Stud.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Already covered but sacks aren't the end all, be all. You might have even said that yourself around here previously. Last year Leonard had 4 INTs, 8 passes defended, and forced a league-high 8 fumbles. Parsons had 0, 3, and 3 by comparison. Sacks are great but stopping a scoring drive and giving your offense the ball, sometimes deep in enemy territory is greater in my opinion

But my major point is Leonard has been doing it for longer and has more accolades to his credit. It would be like ranking Ja'Marr Chase above Tyreek Hill because Chase had more receiving yards than Hill last year. But they didn't. Again, Cowboys bump for Parsons. It is what it is.
chase had 9 drops so easy to see why he would be lower..
Parsosn had far more then ju7st beig sack guy, exceptional stopping the run, covering rbs in the flats, just a disruptor,hes special no doubt.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Do you think a LB getting 13 sacks is bigger than a WR getting 1900 yards?

Yes, if the LB is rushing the passer only a fraction of the time and leads the league by a wide margin in Pressures Above Expectations.

“The player on this list who, in my opinion, stands out the most will surprise absolutely nobody. With 22 pressures above expectation, Cowboys rookie Micah Parsons easily led the league with a pressure rate 9% above expectation. The aforementioned Allen, Watt, and Jones tie for second at 6% above expectation, which gives a bit of context for just how far out in front Parsons really was.

On just 238 qualifying pass rush snaps, Parsons created more extra pressures than all but one player in the NFL. He was deployed countless different ways (actually, we can count them, but that’s for a different article), and he really was an alien in terms of how effective he could be in situations that the offense didn’t seem to have an answer for.”

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/pressures-above-expectation-2021-donald-watt-parsons/

uvaballa

Reaction score
Love Parsons but he clearly got a Cowboys bump. No way he should rank above 3-time All-Pro LB Shaq (formerly Darius) Leonard from the Colts nor Justin Jefferson at this point. But these lists are never perfect. Brady at #1 is proof of that.
Isn't the list voted on by the players? Doubt being a Cowboy helps with that at all.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He is better than both of those players.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Again, Cowboys bump for Parsons. It is what it is.

'Cowboys bump.' You think the players around the league who vote on this stuff rate Cowboys players higher than they would if they played on another team? Seems highly doubtful. We're not talking about casual fans, who might be dazzled by the brand.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Isn't the list voted on by the players? Doubt being a Cowboy helps with that at all.
'Cowboys bump.' You think the players around the league who vote on this stuff rate Cowboys players higher than they would if they played on another team? Seems highly doubtful. We're not talking about casual fans, who might be dazzled by the brand.

It's visibility just the same as with fans. When we're on primetime, other teams aren't so those players watch the games too. There are more of our games to watch. And don't think for a minute that a player looking to push their own brand wouldn't want to come here to get more visibility than they'd get in Cincinnati, for example.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Too low.

Based on 2021 should be:

1. Brady
2. Donald
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Parsons

I don't know how Kupp isn't in you Top 5, or TJ Watt. Kupp had the Triple Crown, which has only been done 4 times since 1990, and 5 times since 1966. It's basically a once-a-decade achievement at this point in time. Watt had 22.5 sacks, which is 9 more than Parsons.

I'm sure there are others out there who had great 2021 seasons. Stafford, Adams, Chase, Taylor...lots of guys with absolutely great years.

Parsons had a great year, but it was really only impressive because he did what he did as a LB playing multiple positions. I have no problem with 16th.