D hasn't been as bad as you think

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
You can shoot me down.. and that is ok but D hasn't been as manifestly bad as most are claiming. Do we miss waaaay too many tackles.. yes. Is our run defence on the outside porous.. yes. Do we kill ourselves with dumb penalties.. yes.

BUT.. our defence has and is improving. No doubt we are missing LVE out there and our pass rush hasn't been effective. I hate our 'all hats to the ball' over pursuit BUT the D is still putting up some decent stats. They got a couple of turnovers against the Bears.. they kept them to field goals after some good drives.. and generally did the best they could.

The real problem is our offence. When your offence puts up ZERO points after the first drive until the fourth quarter.. then your D is always going to look bad. They get gassed.. they get down. We had opportunities to go ahead by 2 scores TWICE in the first half and whiffed on both. That gets any D down. The missed FG which means we are playing catch up doesn't help either.

When we get behind we go pass happy which is a disaster for two reasons.. first Dak is crap (been saying that since he stole romos job.. glad others are finally seeing the obvious) and our passing offence is crap unless it is junk time or the opposition is stacked very very heavily against the run. Second reason is we are on the field for shorter amounts of time - ie our defence gets exposed more.

Yes the defence can improve but I don't think they are the main problem.. Dak and our passing offence is where the issues start and, of course, the woeful coaching staff (particularly clapper). Change the HC and QB and this team could be very dangerous.

Turnovers = bad
DT's outside MCollins = bad
LB's don't make plays, LVE & JSmith not Pro Bowlers

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The defense made Mitchell Trubisky look like an all pro QB. The same QB who has been arguably the worst QB in the league this year. Every QB who has played them recently has had career games and you think the defense is doing their job? Not buying yet. The offense has had their problems the last few weeks for sure but that doesn’t give the defense a pass.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
That's what happens when your offense goes 3 and OUT till its Garbage time(also known as Dak time).....no defense can hold forever!

Dude, your “I hate Dak” is getting more an more ridiculous. The Cowboys scored on their opening drive and then, yes, one of the better defenses in the NFL stopped them period. And, yes, Dak didn’t play well. But, to seriously act as if the D only fell apart AGAIN because of the offense is pure stupidity. How many times do we have to watch this D let every underachieving QB look like a HOF? Trubisky looked TERRIBLE ALL YEAR until he played Detroit and Dallas. Jeff Driskel was lighting this same D up, as was a RB that Dallas has on the practice squad the year before. When the Vikings jumped out to a 14-0 lead, where there any turnovers on offense that gave Minny short fields? No. I could go on and on.....just like you say the offense feasted on poor teams, so did the D (except in the NO game).

We get it....many of you will never accept Dak. Fine, you have that right. But, stop acting like this D is worth anything right now.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
D hasn't been as bad as you think.
In the first half of the season, the defense ranked 5th in TD allowed per drive. It was giving up yards and not forcing turnovers, but it kept teams out of the end zone.

But lately the defense has been awful. It ranks 30th since week 10 in TD allowed per drive and 23rd in yards allowed.

Even when the offense was scoring a lot of points (vs Min, at Det), the defense still ranked 26th in TD allowed and 20th in yards allowed

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can shoot me down.. and that is ok but D hasn't been as manifestly bad as most are claiming. Do we miss waaaay too many tackles.. yes. Is our run defence on the outside porous.. yes. Do we kill ourselves with dumb penalties.. yes.

BUT.. our defence has and is improving. No doubt we are missing LVE out there and our pass rush hasn't been effective. I hate our 'all hats to the ball' over pursuit BUT the D is still putting up some decent stats. They got a couple of turnovers against the Bears.. they kept them to field goals after some good drives.. and generally did the best they could.

The real problem is our offence. When your offence puts up ZERO points after the first drive until the fourth quarter.. then your D is always going to look bad. They get gassed.. they get down. We had opportunities to go ahead by 2 scores TWICE in the first half and whiffed on both. That gets any D down. The missed FG which means we are playing catch up doesn't help either.

When we get behind we go pass happy which is a disaster for two reasons.. first Dak is crap (been saying that since he stole romos job.. glad others are finally seeing the obvious) and our passing offence is crap unless it is junk time or the opposition is stacked very very heavily against the run. Second reason is we are on the field for shorter amounts of time - ie our defence gets exposed more.

Yes the defence can improve but I don't think they are the main problem.. Dak and our passing offence is where the issues start and, of course, the woeful coaching staff (particularly clapper). Change the HC and QB and this team could be very dangerous.

Oh please, the bears had the 28th overall ranked offense, 28th pass, 28th run and the bears marched up and down the field on this defense. Against the bears 3 times on 3rd downs the defense committed penalties that gave then 1st downs and each time they went on to score TD's. Just 10 minutes ago I heard Jimmy Johnson say that their defense has really let the Cowboys down this season and is the reason for their woes. The games they played well this season have been very few, missed tackles, wide open receivers, QB's getting 20 yard runs, one untouched for a TD. No the defense hasn't been good. I still hope they will play good, but they haven't for a while.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Oh please, the bears had the 28th overall ranked offense, 28th pass, 28th run and the bears marched up and down the field on this defense. Against the bears 3 times on 3rd downs the defense committed penalties that gave then 1st downs and each time they went on to score TD's. Just 10 minutes ago I heard Jimmy Johnson say that their defense has really let the Cowboys down this season and is the reason for their woes. The games they played well this season have been very few, missed tackles, wide open receivers, QB's getting 20 yard runs, one untouched for a TD. No the defense hasn't been good. I still hope they will play good, but they haven't for a while.

Just stop posting knowledge okay. Didn’t you know that quite a few posters on here know WAY MORE than the Jimmy Johnson’s/Troy Aikman’s of the world?

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Please. Huge drop off between this year and last. Rod’s early try hard defenses were better. This defense could not force a punt for 7 quarters vs Chicago and Buffalo. That’s bad. They are are primary reason for this season’s tailspin. Other than Lewis and maybe Collins every player is having a down year. They suck.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That is not saying very much.

Ah. There it is. The cover all statement of "hate". Don't like what someone says and have no intellectual retort?

"Hater!". Just the absolute worst. I could say you were just some mindless shill for him, but notice I am not cheapening my argument that way.

So if is all Marinelli, tell me again what Richard has done to earn such doglike devotion?

Yell a lot? Look animated? Certainly can't be getting the most out of this secondary and getting turnovers.

Well no, because Pete Carroll got rid of him.

like the Lions owner fired Marinelli after his 0-16 gem?

you hate KRichard because you blame him for Marinelli and his busted scheme.

ive warned people for years about Marinelli.

now that the bills due on his busted scheme, you want to blame someone else.

how about our Safeties coach? Or the LB coach. Or Lett...

#KRichardHate

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
like the Lions owner fired Marinelli after his 0-16 gem?
Wait, what? Not even close. Carroll moved on from Richard because he saw he was not the solution to run his defense. It didn't take abject failure for him to move on. Your logic is borderline mentally deficient.

you hate KRichard because you blame him for Marinelli and his busted scheme.
Where did I say that? I hold Richard accountable for his own responsibilities, which he has failed at.

He needs to go right along with him. Clean sweep.
ive warned people for years about Marinelli.

Wait, so you are the only one who saw this coming? LOL

now that the bills due on his busted scheme, you want to blame someone else.

how about our Safeties coach? Or the LB coach. Or Lett...

#KRichardHate

About the only thing you have said is that Marinelli needs to go. You have yet to come up with one single point that suggests Richard shouldn't go right along with him. I am guessing it is because you can't.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

the Bears marched down the field every time they had the ball until i turned the game off late in the 3rd, every time
going strictly by the Bears game anyone who watched that and thinks its Dak that is the problem over the D has to have some anti-Dak bias, really, and I am not one of these Dak boosters who have been saying that for a year or more. But in the Bear game (if not more) it is the D that caused all the problems, hands down

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak and our passing offense are actually #1 in the league.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
You can shoot me down..

BUT.. our defence has and is improving.
Change the HC and QB and this team could be very dangerous.

Yes pls we will take your offer ... boom
Lol.

Defence ? Is improving ?:banghead:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Romo wishes he had a defense half as good as this one. Or oline or rb lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude, your “I hate Dak” is getting more an more ridiculous. The Cowboys scored on their opening drive and then, yes, one of the better defenses in the NFL stopped them period. And, yes, Dak didn’t play well. But, to seriously act as if the D only fell apart AGAIN because of the offense is pure stupidity. How many times do we have to watch this D let every underachieving QB look like a HOF? Trubisky looked TERRIBLE ALL YEAR until he played Detroit and Dallas. Jeff Driskel was lighting this same D up, as was a RB that Dallas has on the practice squad the year before. When the Vikings jumped out to a 14-0 lead, where there any turnovers on offense that gave Minny short fields? No. I could go on and on.....just like you say the offense feasted on poor teams, so did the D (except in the NO game).

We get it....many of you will never accept Dak. Fine, you have that right. But, stop acting like this D is worth anything right now.
The majority of posters ignore him.