D.Law trade with Indi /Mock Draft

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Not advocating a draft day trade but it’s possible. I think the FO is looking at D Law’s injury history and the $ and potential production over the next 3 - 5 years. The analytics may not be that great for 20 million a year (60 million guaranteed/126 million). They would have locked him up already if they were. D Law can find a team that will take the risk of 2 back surgeries that have the money and are close enough. Dallas saves some major cap space for Zek, Cooper and Dak.

This scenario is a draft day trade with the Colts because they have the money and a familar defense that needs a DE to get to the next level. They give up their 1st (#26) and 2nd (#34) for DLaw.

Using McShay’s 1st round for who is available:

1st #26 - Brian Burns DE Florida State -
DE with elite speed and athleticism. Taco will get his shot at DE and Burns can come in for either side in pass rushing situations and be part of the rotation in year one. RG will need to show up this year to prove he is worth extending.

2nd #34. Marquise Brown WR/slot. -
they need explosive players on offense and this is an upgrade in the slot. Hopefully Moore can figure out how to use him well.

2nd #59. Elgton Jenkins C -
Im not sure what Fred beard will be. This guy can play center/guard and is underrated. Amazing blocker that fits the OL scheme. You could play him at guard and have him back up center. It may be even better to have him at center and move Fred beard to guard with his recent shoulder problem. He played guard in college. Let Connor compete at RT. Collins is in his last year. OL was a major weakness last season that needs to be taken care of.

3rd #90. Darius Slayton WR - 6’2 190 40: 4.35.
This is a guy that will fly up boards after the combine. His qB at Auburn limited his production. Averaged 19 ypc. The potential to be a true #2. No real downside to him.

4th #122 Jace Sternberger TE -
underrated. Can get down the seams and block well. Quick and tough. 10 TDs in the Sec.

5th #153.
Trey Pipkins OT - small school. 6’6 310 can play LT or RT. Nice developmental player.

No 6th rounder

7th. Darwin THompson RB -
this guy is a 3 down back despite being 5’8. Shifty and quick. Tough.

Free Agency:
Would be happy with either of these guys for 5-7 million a year.

DT Malcolm Brown - finished his last year with the Patriots. An ideal 1tech for this scheme. 200 yards against the Rams is a wake up call that Dallas needs more strength at the point of attack.

DT Grady Jarret DT - ideal 3tech for this D.

Limitations:
No DT, Safety or OLB here. Demarcus Christmas DT is possible at #59 but I don’t think it is justifiable. A DT could fall to #26 like Christian Wilkins but not in McShay’s recent draft.
Juan Thornhill could be there at #34. I don’t think he is that much better than Heath. Heath ran down Saquqa n Barkely and is servicable for another year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not advocating a draft day trade but it’s possible. I think the FO is looking at D Law’s injury history and the $ and potential production over the next 3 - 5 years. The analytics may not be that great for 20 million a year (60 million guaranteed/126 million). They would have locked him up already if they were. D Law can find a team that will take the risk of 2 back surgeries that have the money and are close enough. Dallas saves some major cap space for Zek, Cooper and Dak.

This scenario is a draft day trade with the Colts because they have the money and a familar defense that needs a DE to get to the next level. They give up their 1st (#26) and 2nd (#34) for DLaw.

DE with elite speed and athleticism. Taco will get his shot at DE and Burns can come in for either side in pass rushing situations and be part of the rotation in year one. RG will need to show up this year to prove he is worth extending.

they need explosive players on offense and this is an upgrade in the slot. Hopefully Moore can figure out how to use him well.

Im not sure what Fred beard will be. This guy can play center/guard and is underrated. Amazing blocker that fits the OL scheme. You could play him at guard and have him back up center. It may be even better to have him at center and move Fred beard to guard with his recent shoulder problem. He played guard in college. Let Connor compete at RT. Collins is in his last year. OL was a major weakness last season that needs to be taken care of.

This is a guy that will fly up boards after the combine. His qB at Auburn limited his production. Averaged 19 ypc. The potential to be a true #2. No real downside to him.

underrated. Can get down the seams and block well. Quick and tough. 10 TDs in the Sec.

5th #153.
Trey Pipkins OT - small school. 6’6 310 can play LT or RT. Nice developmental player.

No 6th rounder

Free Agency:

DT Malcolm Brown - finished his last year with the Patriots. An ideal 1tech for this scheme. 200 yards against the Rams is a wake up call that Dallas needs more strength at the point of attack.

Limitations:
No DT, Safety or OLB here. Demarcus Christmas DT is possible at #59 but I don’t think it is justifiable. A DT could fall to #26 like Christian Wilkins but not in McShay’s recent draft.
Juan Thornhill could be there at #34. I don’t think he is that much better than Heath. Heath ran down Saquqa n Barkely and is servicable for another year.

I don’t hate it. I doubt they give up their 2nd too. A 1st should get it done if Dallas is willing.

Tank would be a huge loss but he is constantly injured and having to play through it and I think he only has 2 or 3 good years left in him.

A Rookie DE really isn’t going to help us. It takes D Ends years to start producing. Even Tank took years.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I like the thought process and have considered a similar move myself.
Mine involves a trade with Cle because Cle also has a lot of cap room and could use another DE to pair with Myles Garrett.

Instead of Draft picks I would consider a Dlaw for Ogbah and Jabril Peppers trade. We had interest in Ogbah during that draft and we need a SS.

The trade would have to include the players involved agreeing to extensions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

5th #153.

No 6th rounder

Free Agency:

Limitations:

I applaud the effort.

I agree in theory about trading DLaw considering the risk with his past 2 back surgeries and the fact that he is not the freak athlete type pass rusher that normally gets the mega-contract.

The issue is that the Amari Cooper trade shows that Cowboys thought process to be leaning more towards a win now approach. A pass rusher in the late 1st is a crap-shoot (see Taco), especially as a rookie.

I would be shocked if the Cowboys used a 2nd on a small WR. Will he measure at above/below 5'10" ? Not many sub 5-10 WRs get drafted that early.

OG might be the deepest position on the current roster. Not the most overall talented position but maybe the deepest.
Connor Williams or possibly La'el
Sua-Filo
Looney
Ehinger
Marcus Martin (if re-signed).

Meanwhile OT might have the least depth.

2nd WR
The Cowboys do love WRs so I won't rule out drafting 2 early; however, it's a very low probability.

I personally wouldn't draft 2 WRs early. Side Note: I think C.Wilson will be a solid NFL WR. He was ahead of Gallup in training camp before the injury.

A free agent DT with size would be nice but I doubt they sign an expensive one. Maybe a guy like Shelton that should be fairly low cost.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

5th #153.

No 6th rounder

Free Agency:

Limitations:
It’s not possible.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If I am trading DLaw, I am signing Clowney or Ansah. Certainly not going to rely on a late first rounder to fill the void.
Hockenson and Clowney for DLaw sounds like a good trade.

The Realist

Reaction score

5th #153.

No 6th rounder

Free Agency:

Limitations:

Why do we need to draft a C and two WR’s high?

Sydla

Reaction score
I am totally puzzled by the people that are drafting 2 WRs in our Top 4-5 picks.

We used two draft picks on WRs last year. We flipped out #1 for another WR. And now we want to use more picks on WRs?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I am totally puzzled by the people that are drafting 2 WRs in our Top 4-5 picks.

We used two draft picks on WRs last year. We flipped out #1 for another WR. And now we want to use more picks on WRs?

If we cut ties with Beas, I can understand wanting to create competition at our #3 spot but I also don’t think it should be addressed early.

Sydla

Reaction score
If we cut ties with Beas, I can understand wanting to create competition at our #3 spot but I also don’t think it should be addressed early.

Rookie WRs rarely make big impacts.

If you want to fix the WR spot, go out and get a vet to slot in the as the #3 WR.

tm1119

Reaction score
Replacing DLaw with Taco and a rookie makes the entire D significantly worse. Going cheap at DE but spending big $ at DT is an extreme overreaction to 1 game

Last edited:

fansince68

Reaction score

Specials Teams draft? Loading up on gunners for kick off and punt coverage.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Rookie WRs rarely make big impacts.

If you want to fix the WR spot, go out and get a vet to slot in the as the #3 WR.

My preference is to resign Austin.

He gave us some real juice in the return game and I think he can be dynamic on O if healthy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Specials Teams draft? Loading up on gunners for kick off and punt coverage.

Special teams draft is for loaded teams. Cowboys aren't a loaded team. Multiple needs - OT, S, DT.

JJ's not letting Tank go, he's JJ's "war daddy", to trade him away is nowhere in JJ's mind...