Daily Rumor Mill Payton Mention

JonCJG

Reaction score
Sorry if repost.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SAINTS KEEPING THEIR OPTIONS OPEN?

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com was first to report that the Saints will hire Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton as the franchise's fourteenth head coach.

Some league insiders believe that, a year from now, the team could be hiring head coach #15.

There's a theory making the rounds in league circles that owner Tom Benson will go through the motions for 2006 in Louisiana, and then sell the team to L.A. interests for close to a cool billion.

And, as the theory goes, the new owners will then offer the G.M./coaching gig to USC coach Pete Carroll.

Of course, this means that the new owners will be required to deal with the current coach's contract -- which in Payton's case comes with a relatively modest "thanks for giving me another chance to be a coach after I pissed away my shot in Oakland" compensation package.

In the interim, Payton can be counted on to keep his mouth shut while Benson gradually implements his likely plan to pull the franchise out of Louisiana, for good. After being pooped on by guys like Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells, Benson's a breeze.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
not if they win a Super Bowl.

:laugh1: :laugh2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2: :laugh1: :laugh2:
i know.
thats funny.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Well, if you can get a Billion for the saints, The Cowboys market value just shot through the roof.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If the aint's are worth $1billion, then the Boys are worth $2 Billion.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
It's not so much the worth of the Saints. The 1 Billion speaks more to the appetite of the NFL and the LA area to get a pro team back.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Bob McNair and the city of Houston dropped a billion to get the Texans. It's not out of the realm of possibilities. McNair put a cool 700mil of his own cash on the table and the city built Reliant Stadium for about 400mil.

TheHustler

Reaction score
In 98 Red McCombs bought the Vikings for $250 million and sold it last year for ~$600 million.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
123456 said:
]And, as the theory goes, the new owners will then offer the G.M./coaching gig to USC coach Pete Carroll.[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Of course, this means that the new owners will be required to deal with the current coach's contract -- which in Payton's case comes with a relatively modest "thanks for giving me another chance to be a coach after I pissed away my shot in Oakland" compensation package.

And then Jones will swoop in and hire Payton to be BP's replacement.