Dak/Amari problem could have been avoided

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
By simply not paying Zeke.

Zeke was third in line for a contract, but Jerry gave in to the pouting brat.

If the Cowboys had just done what the Chargers did with Melvin Gordon, Zeke would be here (still on a rookie deal), and we’d be able to shell out $35 million for Dak and $20 million for Amari. Or franchise tag either/or, if negotiations weren’t going well.

But nooooooo, we had to overpay for the most replaceable position in football and back ourselves into a corner. It’s really coming back to bite us now.

Even if Zeke had held out and not come back, who cares? Anyone who says Pollard wouldn’t have similar production #s is a liar.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

If the Cowboys had just done what the Chargers did with Melvin Gordon, Zeke would be here (still on a rookie deal), and we’d be able to shell out $35 million for Dak and $20 million for Amari. Or franchise tag either/or, if negotiations weren’t going well.

But nooooooo, we had to overpay for the most replaceable position in football and back ourselves into a corner. It’s really coming back to bite us now.

Even if Zeke had held out and not come back, who cares? Anyone who says Pollard wouldn’t have similar production #s is a liar.

The Zeke move was desperation. And that's after they also knew he was a fat lard on the decline.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score

I said this months ago at the time. Let Zeke sit. They caved, paid him top dollar, only to morph into a passing team. Now they will have to franchise Dak and will lose Cooper to a rival. bad, bad, bad,

Skillit

Reaction score
A lot of proof that the offense ran through Zeke.

Now that the line is avg.....Zeke is avg, and the team is avg.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
the zeke situation is starting to look worse by the day. I knew he was going to get paid so I never really thought to hard on it one way or the other. But as we speak, if we could cut zeke and pay him nothing I would do it and I think the team would do it too. What a difference a few months make. And I wish it wasn’t the case.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
It's called an implosion move. The Dak/Amari situation doesn't matter anyways. They are not enough to save this team anyways. Even so, their attitudes are equal to that of Zeke and everyone else in that locker room, which is: "Who cares about winning as long as we're getting the money, the girls, and the fame?"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

This is true but what do I know. I was told, absolutely nothing back when this discussion was going on. The money never ends, I don't understand the modern NFL.

Proof

Reaction score

Zeke's timing was really miserable and selfish. It's disappointing and made me sour on him

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Anyone who claims to know what Pollard's production would be is the liar. No one knows.

That said, I agree re: Jerry caving. I expected he would and so did Zeke's agent. No way was Jerry going to invest the 4th overall pick in a RB (another mistake) then have him sit out. Jerry remembers the heat he got when Emmitt missed two games and wasn't going to go through that again.

One thing about Amari, though. He hasn't shown any interest in an extension. Yes, he could be franchised but he could also refuse to sign it and you have another impasse. Dak wants paid, which will be a bigger cap hit than Zeke and Amari combined. Not sure that's such a good idea either.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Paying zeke or not has zero affect on these 2. We have 2 tags available for use, the franchize and transition tags can and will be used. Zeke's money will not affect their ability to pay the others as they slatted all of this money out months ago. it will affect the ability to pay other guys but these 3 were pencilled in last year.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@jwooten15 How do you know there is a problem? I see Dak, Amari, and Jerry every week on TV and they don't seem to be too worried. Dak and Amari aren't complaining about a new contract. Dak has been nothing but the consummate professional team first player in my opinion. Amari seems to be just cool with whatever the contract stuff is.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

I don't think the Zeke contract getting done prevented them from paying Cooper and Dak. Bigger dollars for each of them and the Cowboys were trying to figure out the market price.

However, I don't think they should have caved on the Zeke situation so fast. We would probably be in the same spot record wise either way, maybe even better with a fresh Zeke and a faster Pollard. But Jones felt pressured thinking this team would be one of the top teams with Zeke.

For the Zeke bashers he's 6th in total yards from scrimmage and averages 4.4 a carry. Far from a ****** year, but I get the concerns with the lack of big plays. He does look a half step slower, but have to expect him to be more of a power runner than a home run hitter. Will he be worth the contract? Time will tell, but he's likely be to be a productive player over his contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's easy to say, but suppose Jerry hadn't made a deal with Zeke, and Zeke sat out the season, and the season went to hell (which is likely given that it is even going to hell with him), then what we would be saying now is that Jerry was an idiot for letting Zeke sit out, and that is the reason a talented team is going nowhere.

dstew60105

Reaction score

Dallas has enough money to pay all three. 70M available next year before any restructures. Could get to 100M if needed. Money isn't the issue.