Dak/Amari problem could have been avoided

Qcard

Reaction score
By simply not paying Zeke.

Zeke was third in line for a contract, but Jerry gave in to the pouting brat.

If the Cowboys had just done what the Chargers did with Melvin Gordon, Zeke would be here (still on a rookie deal), and we’d be able to shell out $35 million for Dak and $20 million for Amari. Or franchise tag either/or, if negotiations weren’t going well.

But nooooooo, we had to overpay for the most replaceable position in football and back ourselves into a corner. It’s really coming back to bite us now.

Even if Zeke had held out and not come back, who cares? Anyone who says Pollard wouldn’t have similar production #s is a liar.
You assume we go 3-0 without Zeke??

Jerry Jones and Cowboys would have been villified if we lost A game without Zeke.

Zeke saw the off-season playbook, Pollard selection and realize this was the only chance to get his $$$. I was against the signing because of Zeke's off field issues but it was a great move to hold out by Zeke.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

If the Cowboys had just done what the Chargers did with Melvin Gordon, Zeke would be here (still on a rookie deal), and we’d be able to shell out $35 million for Dak and $20 million for Amari. Or franchise tag either/or, if negotiations weren’t going well.

But nooooooo, we had to overpay for the most replaceable position in football and back ourselves into a corner. It’s really coming back to bite us now.

Even if Zeke had held out and not come back, who cares? Anyone who says Pollard wouldn’t have similar production #s is a liar.
BIG FACTS........

GREAT POST.....

MANY OF US FELT THE ZEKE SIGNING WAS SIMPLE DESPERATION........

Pollard was showing out in the preseason and we had picked up Morris for insurance. We were straight from the trained perspective.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't trade a #1 draft pick unless you know you can sign that player long term. Nobody's fault but Jerry's.
The Cowboys couldn't negotiate with Cooper before the trade because he wasn't their's to negotiate with. With those kinds of trades a team simply has to make a choice/take a leap of faith, and have confidence they can make a longer term deal.

Flamma

Reaction score

In hindsight, yes. But Zeke is a lot better than Pollard. I also had no way of knowing the Cowboys would resort to a **** run game that takes no advantage of Zeke's skillset. So there's that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I like Zeke, but I have to agree. I was on the other side of the fence at the start of the year, I admit, but I've changed my opinion.

I don't think Pollard would have been a long term solution, but Dallas could have found a quality back in the second or third round in 2020 that would be here for four years and not cost $90 million.

The Cowboys are going to keep Dak and Amari both (I think), but they will have next to no cap room to add free agents. Again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Zeke had to come back eventually to get an accrued season.

Though I wonder. Can a player sit out *after* playing enough games to get an accrued season? I don't see why not.

That sounds like the best way to play a holdout to me. Go to camp. Play the start of the season. Then sit out. You put out better tape, and have no time pressure. You're done til free agency. Fans are probably more on your side too. "Pay da man."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zeke's timing was really miserable and selfish. It's disappointing and made me sour on him

Bidness. Jerry didn't get it done in the offseason and didn't sign an alternative. It's all on Jerry. He didn't have to sign Zeke. 31 other teams didn't have Zeke signed and still managed to show up for the season.

Proof

Reaction score
Bidness. Jerry didn't get it done in the offseason and didn't sign an alternative. It's all on Jerry. He didn't have to sign Zeke. 31 other teams didn't have Zeke signed and still managed to show up for the season.

He shouldn’t have had to get it done in the offseason considering zeke still had a couple years remaining. Not with tank, Dak and Amari looming. I just found it distasteful and the timing especially egregious considering he’d just gotten in trouble again.
I’m all for players getting their money, and even holding out, but it couldn’t have been a worse scenario as fans

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He shouldn’t have had to get it done in the offseason considering zeke still had a couple years remaining.

Between rookie contracts and free agency, the NFL pay structure is hosing RBs relative to other players. Everyone openly talks about throwing RBs on the ash heap once their rookie contract is done. A RB who has enough leverage should hold out. Bidness.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Proof

Reaction score
Between rookie contracts and free agency, the NFL pay structure is hosing RBs relative to other players. Everyone openly talks about throwing RBs on the ash heap once their rookie contract is done. A RB who has enough leverage should hold out. Bidness.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

there’s room to hate both, and I do. I already acknowledged the boys did it to themselves due to how they handled Demarco. It doesn’t make it any easier to swallow. I understand the why and still disappointed.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dak, Cooper, and Jones can all be resigned. They'd take up about 65 million of the 90 million available.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys couldn't negotiate with Cooper before the trade because he wasn't their's to negotiate with. With those kinds of trades a team simply has to make a choice/take a leap of faith, and have confidence they can make a longer term deal.

The Cowboys could have gotten permission from the Raiders to negotiate with Cooper.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And this why Jerry is so pissed about this team. He gave into Zeke probably against his better judgement on the assumption that this was the year the cowboys would break through.

John813

Reaction score
Cowboys were going to keep all three, not sure why Zeke signing first caused an issue?

Dak and Cooper didn't sign cause they didn't like the initial offers given to them and they wanted to "prove their worth".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They Cowboys are going to sign them when they think it's the best time and for the most team friend deal the team can negotiate. The Zeke contract did not change that. It might affect some players below Dak/Cooper but not them.

Just because you get a really good deal on a car for yourself does not mean you'll just show up and pay sticker price for your wife's car.