Dak and Romo very similar career progressions

blueblood70

Reaction score
Discounting 2 years Romo sat (call this the difference between Dak playing in the SEC), it took 8 years for Romo to become the best version of himself (2014). Dak has been playing for 8 years and is currenly playing as the best version of himself.
i mean i agree with the original poster's sentiment.

to add to it, Prescott had seasons like this before

2018 3-5 turnaround to 10-6 ,

2021 37 tds 10 ints 4800 yards 12 wins

,2022 long stretch last year after he got back off broken hand had our O humming,

and now this year, only changes is he's had to do more with less this year, OL and Run game is inconsistent, D is struggling, had to go back to using his legs climbing her pocket keeping his eyes downfield....

let's be clear here Prescott's always been a very good quarterback that played great and had elite stretches...you all act like hes just now peaking or playing his best, hes done this before.

against the best teams where the rest of his team? that hasnt changed defense is losing games again not new , run game and OL shaky NOT NEW , play calls and clock management issues, NOT New

the problem with this fan base is blaming Dak for not being able to overcome these problems on his own against the best competition,

nothing changed this year the D basically were MOSTLY responsible for all 3 losses, daks bailed the offense out lacking a Run game and once again not doing well in the pass rush win rate category plus overcoming some paly calls and the refs..

Dak still needs help lie most Qbs only will he get it or the fan base turn on him again and blame him for the team deficiencies as usual? stay tuned..

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
i mean i agree with the original poster's sentiment.

to add to it, Prescott had seasons like this before

2018 3-5 turnaround to 10-6 ,

2021 37 tds 10 ints 4800 yards 12 wins

,2022 long stretch last year after he got back off broken hand had our O humming,

and now this year, only changes is he's had to do more with less this year, OL and Run game is inconsistent, D is struggling, had to go back to using his legs climbing her pocket keeping his eyes downfield....

let's be clear here Prescott's always been a very good quarterback that played great and had elite stretches...you all act like hes just now peaking or playing his best, hes done this before.

against the best teams where the rest of his team? that hasnt changed defense is losing games again not new , run game and OL shaky NOT NEW , play calls and clock management issues, NOT New

the problem with this fan base is blaming Dak for not being able to overcome these problems on his own against the best competition,

nothing changed this year the D basically were MOSTLY responsible for all 3 losses, daks bailed the offense out lacking a Run game and once again not doing well in the pass rush win rate category plus overcoming some paly calls and the refs..

Dak still needs help lie most Qbs only will he get it or the fan base turn on him again and blame him for the team deficiencies as usual? stay tuned..
I agree that he had some good seasons, it’s not like he came out of nowhere. And I want to preface this — we still have games to play and things could change, but we are close to the end of the season and he is a legit MVP candidate. For me, that’s the difference, because last time I remember this was his rookie year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree that he had some good seasons, it’s not like he came out of nowhere. And I want to preface this — we still have games to play and things could change, but we are close to the end of the season and he is a legit MVP candidate. For me, that’s the difference, because last time I remember this was his rookie year.
Actually the way he started 20/20 had he not broke his ankle we had no defense but he was playing out of his mind and he was being discussed as an MVP candidate... Unfortunately from Mike McCarthy 's first year's COVID shortened injury Riddle lost Prescott Prescott was on this same type of role as far as moving the offense... It is not new he literally should have been in more MVP considerations I mean literally 2020 coming off a broken ankle into 20/21/2021 still stands in my opinion as his best season outside of his rookie year but he's had these long stretches every year the only problem is fans jump off his bandwagon really fast when he can't beat the 49ers but they forget against the 49ers all the penalties the the shaky offensive line the shaky defense I mean is it his fault is in a rookie year that he had no defense against the Packers in the payoffs? nope,

was it Prescott fault in 2018 when they couldn't run the football shaky offensive line and the defense giving up over 276 yards on the ground to the Rams, NOPE

and we for sure can't blame Prescott in 2021 against the 49ers when you had the team at 14 penalties 11 of them on the offensive line again with the no run game and the defense in the first half I don't care about the low score they kept the 49ers at they literally allowed them close to 10 yards per carry on the ground the time of possession was being owned by the 49ers and playing behind the chains somehow that's Prescott's fault the whole he can't win in the playoff nonsense he can't beat the 49ers nonsense, NOPE

in last year yes in 2022 that might have been Prescott's worst production in the playoffs however when you look back at the game the offensive line couldn't block the offensive line couldn't open up holes there was no run game again and while the defense played really well they still gave up some junk yards and a couple long drives and there was some questionable play calls guys weren't getting open I mean I don't know how many more things that I could list before we get to Prescott still interceptions with somehow the Rams overcome interceptions by Matthew Stafford in the Super bowl he had 20 interceptions throughout the season I don't know how many fumbles that's just a way to rip on your quarterback that's been playing well since his rookie year and like most other players he's gonna have some down moments but blaming him for the lack of playoff success the same way we blame Romo you need to go back under a microscope and find out that our team even this year throughout the regular season is doing the same damn things that they've always done too many penalties the defense isn't playing well we're not good in the run game in many games they're not giving him enough time to throw guys are dropping balls the referees are getting involved this is just more of the same to me...

I guess my point is Prescott's never really been the problem.... Him being expected to be Superman when the rest of the team is letting him down is ridiculous that has always been ridiculous... Sure it'd be great if we had a quarterback that could win a game all by himself but that's just not how the NFL is set up and it's very rare that that happens if you come to a game without a run game and when the offensive line can't block and not only can they not block they can't block a four man line so that way the defense is now make you one-dimensional but are playing Max coverage on the back end and guys are not getting open they're running routes too close together the the play designs are bad...

I'm not a huge Prescott fan he's not my favorite Dallas cowboy of all time I don't have his jersey but it's the same old same old with fans jumping on and off his bandwagon this man has played very well since his rookie year he has not been the reason we can't win in the playoffs mostly like Romo got all the heat this is ridiculous the games against Philadelphia and the 49ers and the better competition the reason we're losing those games is because the team has become a let down in the spotlight...

So the only difference I see this year is against lesser competition Prescott winning those games where in the past he would lose when he doesn't have a run game and when his offensive line is shaky can't block long enough he has actually stepped up started using his legs again and yes he is better in the pocket this year than he's been in a very long time...​
But that's not gonna help against Philadelphia or the 49ers or we got some of these games coming up with teams like Detroit Buffalo and Miami that could take advantage of a bad defense and a shaky offensive line this stuff has to be fixed we need a run game and we need it before the playoffs..

And right now I love the way Mike McCarthy's been running this offense even in the Seattle game I actually don't question any of those decisions however the thing I don't like about him is he seems to be favoring Tony Pollard as a workhorse 3 down back and he should not Rico dowdle and hunter are not getting F reps.. So while Mike McCarthy in my opinion is a better game planner and in game adjustment from the OC as then Kellen Moore was but he's got as big a problem with the run game as more did... He's not seeing the forest through the trees literally you need to run the football more with Rico dowdle and a fullback in front of him in short yardage and at the goal line you need to give Tony Pollard more rest so he can become more explosive again..

They literally have turned Tony Pollard into an average back four yards per carry is not gonna cut it that's not what he was built for he's not scoring enough he doesn't have enough burst plays he's not explosive as he used to be and it has nothing to do with the injuries it has everything to do with the way he's being utilized...

The running back by committee is a smart move but somehow they went away from it and it started using Tony Pollard like he's Ezekiel Elliott and that's a huge mistake and now Prescott has to pay for it that's right the offensive line is not opening holes on a regular basis they're using the running backs wrong and I hate to question coaches but my opinion from a layman you know an amateur it's a big mistake not giving Rico more carries using hunter in an eye formation or at least getting reco and Pollard in the backfield at the same time they need to get more creative in the run game and again this is affecting Prescott in these bigger games...

One-dimensional football rarely works in big games against tough competition they know what's coming they know how to slow you down and they know that you're not gonna be able to survive throwing the football 45 * a game because you don't have a run game they know you're gonna make a mistake they know you're gonna force the ball or something's gonna be tipped and this is exactly what's happening...

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
2020 was mostly empty calorie stats. Dak is playing with more command and focus now than I've ever seen.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Both not high picks that relied on their athleticism.

Both brought sparks to the team when forced to start.

Both had criticism of early Playoff outs and choking big games.

Both led the league in interceptions their 7th year of starting.

Both turned the corner their 8th season. (Dak’s current year)

By season 9, Romo was leading the NFC in several categories and 3rd in MVP voting. Dak looks like he’s on track this year, season 8.

Romo’s body started giving up in season 10. But Dak is 3 years younger than Romo at same experience points since he started as a rookie.

You give these QBs enough time, maybe good things do happen. Hope this is finally the year, and hope Dak stays healthy.
Dak has had to suffer from.the same GM too,,, never able (or willing) to go the extra mile and build a complete team. After eons of a crappy OL Garrett finally got him to invest in one but that meant the defense got shorted. Now that Jerry is focusing on the defense the OL is slipping back into mediocrity.

plasticman

Reaction score
Not even close.

Dak started from day #1. There was no "development". There was no mentor starting each game while Dak held a clipboard and studied the NFL game. Tony Romo wasn't activated for a single game in his first season.

At the very same point in their career when Tony Romo threw his first regular season pass, Dak was a two time Pro Bowler that had been to the playoffs twice and had a 32-16 record as a starter.