Dak beginning of season compared to his hot stretch now

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Took all of the time at the Dak yard, mini camp, and training camp and some of the season to get the texas coast offense down, now we're cooking :(

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Trying to force him to be a quick release, dump off, ultra conservative pocket passing QB didn’t work. Now they’re letting him do what he does best, and minimizing his deficiencies.

But it’s not just that. Dak is playing a different brand of football right now. He looks confident, he’s throwing with great accuracy and anticipation, and is reading the field incredibly well.

He literally looks like a different player.

mardwin

Reaction score
This is a completely different QB, and I've been a big critic of Dak over the years. He is consistently challenging the secondary down the middle of the field that wasn't the case in the past. He's anticipating receivers getting open instead of waiting for them to be open. I don't know what has happened in the last few months but a light has lit up in Dak's brain.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The first three weeks of the season it was the design of the offense. Our starters had no preseason snaps, so it took a while to get the offense on track. A lot of short passing/underneath routes with little creativity. Cooks was a no-show the first few weeks of the season. Once he got involved and we took the handcuffs off Dak and opened up the offense he exploded.

Last edited:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I would love to understand what happened.
- Were the throws there and Dak just wasn't comfortable with the reads and timing yet?
- Did McCarthy fundamentally change the offense?

I know that there were some changes made to the offense. That said, the difference between the first few weeks and the last few has been epic.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Getting on the same page with MM says a lot
What does that mean? They were on the same page in weeks 1-5. Mike was calling plays like Dak was a Jr High QB. He was running the ball way too much, he was calling no passes down the field. It was possibly the most conservative offense, the most afraid offense Ive seen with a starting qb in 20 years.

As soon as Mike took off the training wheels after that butt whooping by SF, the offense took off. Not sure it had anything to do with "Getting on the same page with Mike."

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What does that mean? They were on the same page in weeks 1-5. Mike was calling plays like Dak was a Jr High QB. He was running the ball way too much, he was calling no passes down the field. It was possibly the most conservative offense, the most afraid offense Ive seen with a starting qb in 20 years.

As soon as Mike took off the training wheels after that butt whooping by SF, the offense took off. Not sure it had anything to do with "Getting on the same page with Mike."
Obviously, you don't get it.....

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is game script as much as anything, even though the offense was super conservative early in the season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is a completely different QB, and I've been a big critic of Dak over the years. He is consistently challenging the secondary down the middle of the field that wasn't the case in the past. He's anticipating receivers getting open instead of waiting for them to be open. I don't know what has happened in the last few months but a light has lit up in Dak's brain.
And why do you think that was so?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The offense is clearly better than it was at the start of the season, but I’m not so sure the defense is. Not a very good defensive performance last week against Seattle. Had we had the offense we started the season with last week we would’ve gotten beaten down. We’re struggling to get the QB on the ground in some games.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
The offense is clearly better than it was at the start of the season, but I’m not so sure the defense is. Not a very good defensive performance last week against Seattle. Had we had the offense we started the season with last week we would’ve gotten beaten down. We’re struggling to get the QB on the ground in some games.
yeah too bad we cant get both goin more often. Defense is lookin like 2013 where they cant stop a nosebleed

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yeah too bad we cant get both goin more often. Defense is lookin like 2013 where they cant stop a nosebleed
We’re able to get pressure, but we’re not getting home enough. We didn’t sack Gino Smith once last week. This is going be a real problem facing QBs like Josh Allen, and Tua. You allow them to stay alive long enough and they’ll find someone. Even though Jalen Hurts has been gimpy he’s still moving around pretty good. Allowing QBs to stay alive is how you get hit with big plays.