Dak Friendly Offense

School

Reaction score
It's tempting to say we ran a dink and dunk offense, but surprisingly, that wasn't really the case.

31 quarterbacks threw more of their passes behind the line of scrimmage than Dak in 2017.
26 threw more of their passes in the 1-5 yard range.
29 quarterbacks threw more of their passes To 5 yards.
(Stats courtesy of Cian)

So, how about creating more easy throws for him closer to the line of scrimmage, like most of the league's offenses do for their quarterbacks?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Since we know it doesn’t mean better coaching or scheme, based off the fact that Garrett is still here.
I would say that it means more consistent pass protection and a receiver who can get more consistent seperation and YAC. getting the o line back to its 2016 level of play would be huge.

Maybe more spread offense formations as well.

If they were smart it would mean more screen passes to Zeke. But we will see if that happens....

Agree here but I also think it means tweaking the offense/scheme relying LESS on a #1receiver or so-called superstar WR similar to Dez's role. This way he's focused on spreading the ball among ALL receivers. Not worry so much whether or not the team's so-called highest paid or superstar receiver gets X number of targets. IMO the Pats, Packers, and even the Eagles run similar systems. Rather than relying on a superstar, the offense asks ALL receivers to play at high-level coz during any given game could lead the team in targets/catches. In fact, I will go as far to say 2016 is similar to what we can expect from a Dak friendly offense. Dak focused more on finding open receivers than forcing passes Dez.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
8 foot receivers that run a 4.4:lmao:
Why do you have to exaggerate. 7 foot receivers that run 4.45 would be Dak friendly enough, but seriously most importantly Dak needs Garrett and Linehan to put together an offensive passing system that is not so basic and predictable. When DB’s pretty much know what are receivers are going to run it puts them and Dak at a big disadvantage. Dak friendly means NE like. Creative and not predictable with some pick plays, reverses, and double passes thrown in for good measure.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Timing routes

Norv Turner installed that kind of offense back in the day and Aikman flourished...he even said as much.

Not saying use it every pass play, because Dak can obviously run where Aikman could not.

However, it helps a ton on 3rd downs when there is a blitz or simply less than 2/3 seconds to throw, and Dak is still looking for the most open receiver with a rusher in his face.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
not sure why everyone is down on Dez since everybody was hurt and zek was out and didn't open up the field for Dez... lol

Section446

Reaction score
Did the Cowboys actually come out and call it a "Dak-friendly offense"? If so, they're basically telling the fan base that he's not good enough without special circumstances, which isn't totally untrue, but it's unfair to him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I was more interested in real interpretations.

But I guess I was wasting my time.

My response included real interpretations.

In all seriousness, beyond any potential playcalling changes I do think gettting the OL back to a dominant level is part of what they mean.

Listen, Dak sucked the second half of last season. But ya know what? So did the pass protection for the most part.

The offensive line got their butts handed to them in a bunch of games last year.

Fixing that should be top priority to making anything more friendly to any QB.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Did the Cowboys actually come out and call it a "Dak-friendly offense"? If so, they're basically telling the fan base that he's not good enough without special circumstances, which isn't totally untrue, but it's unfair to him.
Dak talks about Dak friendly. This “QB” friendly buzz phrase now used by the Cowboys started with Jerry talking about the offense becoming Romo friendly.

There is nothing special about the approach of tweaking an offense to fit the skills of your best players. It should be standard operating procedure.

Phrases like “spending Peyton Manning time” or finding a “war daddy” are just crap talk from a liquored up owner. There isn’t any “secret sauce” and slogans like “finish the fight” don’t accomplsih anything.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Running game gets yards on 1st down. So that means availability for our lead back.

Oline giving more time for intermediate passes to develop. So, that means, get a LG and a tackle.

Recievers getting separation. So, that means either incorporate some rub routes or more shallow crossing patterns, or, if using the same old routes, get receivers that can separate.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We have heard this several times from the power brokers.

So what do you think it means?
First and foremost, it means having a true #1 like an Alson Jeffery (yep.. shameless Gamecock plug) that just gets after it without any need for a binky.