Dak gets another Top 5 ranking

Yobwocs

Reaction score
These days it's really hard to find anyone who don't rank him from #5-7. Sure we weren't winning, but Quarterbacks have struggled even under good conditions - and with good receivers. (like Kirk Cousins has a really good supporting cast, but he's still middle of the pack)

Dak was ripping it in all of the games he actually played in last year. The only one he looked merely decent was against the #1 defense.... the Rams. I can totally see why he's Top 5. Everyone else but the Top 6 has looked horrible at times last year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/6/1/22445936/nfl-quarterbacks-ranked-2021-qb-rankings-starters

No. 5: Dak Prescott — Cowboys

It’s so weird to think of a Dallas Cowboys quarterback flying under the radar, but it feels like Prescott is the best quarterback people don’t really talk about when it comes to the NFL’s best passers. This is probably due (in part) to a year of Cowboys fans saying Dak wasn’t that good because he didn’t sign a low-ball offer, now needing to pivot into championing him again.

No. 4: Deshaun Watson — Texans
Honestly, I don’t know what Watson’s situation will be in 2021. There’s a pending league investigation into allegations of sexual assault, and that could mean he’s suspended for a significant amount of time. However, if we look purely at on-field play he remains one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, even on the league’s most dysfunctional roster.

No. 3: Tom Brady — Bucs
Brady is past the point where he’ll be a stat-stuffing God, but until someone else proves it he’s still the best pure winner at the position in football. With the support around him in Tampa Bay, there’s nothing preventing him from having another great season, perhaps even taking the Buccaneers back to the Super Bowl.

No. 2: Patrick Mahomes — Chiefs
It’s Pat Mahomes. Nuff said, really. Seriously though, crushing Super Bowl loss aside, the Chiefs have made moves to get Mahomes more protection, which feels like the only thing holding him back from throwing for 5,000 yards a season like it’s nothing.

No. 1: Aaron Rodgers — Packers
Rodgers is the reigning MVP, sure — but this is also a product of him doing so much with such little support. For Rodgers to actually be the top quarterback again in 2021 could depend on where he plays, but I have a feeling enough will be done to keep him in Green Bay and get him some help.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
On the contrary, it’s not hard at all to find people that rank dak outside of the top 7

just come to this site, you will find plenty of self loathing cowboys fans that don’t think he should even be top 15

he’s very good, people forget the early 2000s post aikman years

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
These days it's really hard to find anyone who don't rank him from #5-7. Sure we weren't winning, but Quarterbacks have struggled even under good conditions - and with good receivers. (like Kirk Cousins has a really good supporting cast, but he's still middle of the pack)

Dak was ripping it in all of the games he actually played in last year. The only one he looked merely decent was against the #1 defense.... the Rams. I can totally see why he's Top 5. Everyone else but the Top 6 has looked horrible at times last year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/6/1/22445936/nfl-quarterbacks-ranked-2021-qb-rankings-starters

No. 5: Dak Prescott — Cowboys

It’s so weird to think of a Dallas Cowboys quarterback flying under the radar, but it feels like Prescott is the best quarterback people don’t really talk about when it comes to the NFL’s best passers. This is probably due (in part) to a year of Cowboys fans saying Dak wasn’t that good because he didn’t sign a low-ball offer, now needing to pivot into championing him again.

No. 4: Deshaun Watson — Texans
Honestly, I don’t know what Watson’s situation will be in 2021. There’s a pending league investigation into allegations of sexual assault, and that could mean he’s suspended for a significant amount of time. However, if we look purely at on-field play he remains one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, even on the league’s most dysfunctional roster.

No. 3: Tom Brady — Bucs
Brady is past the point where he’ll be a stat-stuffing God, but until someone else proves it he’s still the best pure winner at the position in football. With the support around him in Tampa Bay, there’s nothing preventing him from having another great season, perhaps even taking the Buccaneers back to the Super Bowl.

No. 2: Patrick Mahomes — Chiefs
It’s Pat Mahomes. Nuff said, really. Seriously though, crushing Super Bowl loss aside, the Chiefs have made moves to get Mahomes more protection, which feels like the only thing holding him back from throwing for 5,000 yards a season like it’s nothing.

No. 1: Aaron Rodgers — Packers
Rodgers is the reigning MVP, sure — but this is also a product of him doing so much with such little support. For Rodgers to actually be the top quarterback again in 2021 could depend on where he plays, but I have a feeling enough will be done to keep him in Green Bay and get him some help.
It's so funny that you mention Kirk Cousins, because Kirk Cousins will consistently give you around 4,300 yards, around 30 TDs and around 10 INTs every single year.

Dak has put up those types of numbers ONCE, but Kirk is middle of the pack and Dak is top 5, ahead of guys like Allen and Wilson......

Yobwocs

Reaction score
It's so funny that you mention Kirk Cousins, because Kirk Cousins will consistently give you around 4,300 yards, around 30 TDs and around 10 INTs every single year.

Dak has put up those types of numbers ONCE, but Kirk is middle of the pack and Dak is top 5, ahead of guys like Allen and Wilson......

He's only passed for 30 TDs twice. He's played in 5 or more games in 7 different seasons. Not sure what makes you think he's consistently a 30 TD guy.

Also, Kirk has never lead his team to 13-3. And he's never passed for 4 interceptions in a year. Kirk's best 2 years were 2015 and 2019. Dak pwns him with 2016, and 2020 where he was gonna surpass 6000 yards and 40 TDs had he played the whole year!! Kirk never had stats that pop off the page like that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

The NFL is nothing more than a beauty contest with the sexiest player being King for a Day. Then somebody else gets hot and it changes. The media is at fault here. Gone are the days when a QB was universally acknowledged as the best. I remember when guys like Unitas and Jurgensen were the best by concensus. Never happen again.People are too concerned with analytics and subjectivity is no longer used.Its not really for the best. Things like leadership and.clutch play need to factor more than Ints and turnovers.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's only passed for 30 TDs twice. He's played in 5 or more games in 7 different seasons. Not sure what makes you think he's consistently a 30 TD guy.

Also, Kirk has never lead his team to 13-3. And he's never passed for 4 interceptions in a year. Kirk's best 2 years were 2015 and 2019. Dak pwns him with 2016, and 2020 where he was gonna surpass 6000 yards and 40 TDs had he played the whole year!! Kirk never had stats that pop off the page like that.

We still harkening back to 2016 to defend Dak? lol

Dak's career is on a similar trajectory as Cousins........ lots of yards and few playoff wins. Dak's got 1 30 TD season. Your projection that Dak was going to continue his 2020 pace over a whole season against good defenses is laughable. He piled up those stats against prevent/milk the clock defenses b/c we were losing. Dak was 1-3 in 2020.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
The NFL is nothing more than a beauty contest with the sexiest player being King for a Day. Then somebody else gets hot and it changes. The media is at fault here. Gone are the days when a QB was universally acknowledged as the best. I remember when guys like Unit as and Jurgensen were the best by concensus. Never happen again.

Ha.... nope! It's still the same. 5 or 6 quarterbacks usually gets thrown around as the best in the league consistently. Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady.... those were the same names 3 years ago and they're the same names today. And 5 years ago we were hearing Dak as a Top 5 QB too, so it's not like it's a surprise he's back in that group again.

Nice try, but WRONG.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I said AROUND 30 TDs every year. Which is correct.

What terrible numbers you are trying to reach for to try and say Dak is better. You're even using hypothetical stats to try and make your point lol

Yobwocs

Reaction score
We still harkening back to 2016 to defend Dak? lol

Dak's career is on a similar trajectory as Cousins........ lots of yards and few playoff wins. Dak's got 1 30 TD season. Your projection that Dak was going to continue his 2020 pace over a whole season against good defenses is laughable. He piled up those stats against prevent/milk the clock defenses b/c we were losing. Dak was 1-3 in 2020.

Well...... he's the one using Kirk's career numbers to suggest Dak is similar to Kirk. So I did the same.

And it's so dishonest you try to discredit him by suggesting the defenses were bad or we were losing. We were losing because our defense gives up a touchdown for every 2 possessions. It's not like it's his job to try to get back in the game. Funny you get to decide what counts or not.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Scary thing is 2 of these 5 will soon be on different teams. I'm really hoping none end up in the NFCE.

I'm really OK with Dak being on a top 5 list but lists are just lists. All I ask is he give my Cowboys more hardware. That's a simple enough. thing. I'm gonna be all Al Davis on this Dak post and say "Just win , baby!"

Also I think Kellen Moore helps Dak succeed at a higher level. But I can also say Andy Reid helps Mahomes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so its about yards and stats then? not about wins? seems like you changed your tune. Dak had 4900 in 2019 and well on his way to 5000 in 2020 before the injury....so are we now using passing yards and TDs as a measure of a QB? the constant shifting of the target is confusing :rolleyes:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

:hammer:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well...... he's the one using Kirk's career numbers to suggest Dak is similar to Kirk. So I did the same.

And it's so dishonest you try to discredit him by suggesting the defenses were bad or we were losing. We were losing because our defense gives up a touchdown for every 2 possessions. It's not like it's his job to try to get back in the game. Funny you get to decide what counts or not.

Its not dishonest. Its the truth. We were 1-3 and playing catchup every game. Blame the defense. Fine. But don't pretend Dak's numbers were put up against solid defenses in closely contested games. We saw many of those in 2019 and Dak was very mediocre in those games. Just the facts.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Russell Wilson and Josh Allen say hi!
No way Dak is better than those two.
Conversely, becoming possible Watson is in serious trouble this year.

Russell Wilson threw FOURTY TDs last year.

Russell Wilson won a very contentious NFC West with a 12-4 record.

Russell Wilson has won few than 10 games just once in his 9 year career.

Russell Wilson has never had a losing record or even gone .500.

Russell Wilson is one of the greatest playoff QBs of the last decade with 8 playoff wins in 9 years.

Russell Wilson is not on Dak’s level....

according to this article

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Its not dishonest. Its the truth. We were 1-3 and playing catchup every game. Blame the defense. Fine. But don't pretend Dak's numbers were put up against solid defenses in closely contested games. We saw many of those in 2019 and Dak was very mediocre in those games. Just the facts.
we were 2-3 with Dak....its how the NFL works. sorry but if you have issue with that then talk to NFL and ask them to change the rules

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
so its about yards and stats then? not about wins? seems like you changed your tune. Dak had 4900 in 2019 and well on his way to 5000 in 2020 before the injury....so are we now using passing yards and TDs as a measure of a QB? the constant shifting of the target is confusing :rolleyes:
What stats would you like to use? Rushing stats? Because I think you'll be surprised there also, but you probably think Dak just blows him away with rushing TDs, don't ya?

I mean, I'm just using the basic QB stats, but you're more then welcome to try and cherry pick some random stats that Dak is better at then Kirk. Because when it comes to the main stats used to judge a QB, Kirk is simply more consistent.

We can also talk about wins if you want, but I don't really know what kind of hill you have to stand on when comparing them. They both only have 1 playoff win.