Dak has made $2,723,393 salary for his first 4 years

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’ve been knowledgeable of the cap . When it was first implemented. I understand it much better than most. What would you like me to try to explain to you

Explain to me:

1) How much CAP space do we have available for 2021.
2) What are the Cowboys CAP issues over the next couple of years.
3) Which contracts do you propose to restructure (and therefore extend and given more guaranteed money) to create more space in 2021? Clue - Most commentators are saying that Coops and DLaw are more likely to be cut in 2022 rather than extended....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had a tiny salary and we still had the league's worst special teams. And almost set the record for worst kick return avg in league.history even.
25 years those inept special teams have kept us from Super bowl glory!!!:muttley:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what he's worth if you cant afford it.

It is virtually impossible for us to offer Dak a Franchise Tag in 2021 without creating holes throughout the roster.

Yeah, not really.

Cap dollars are so fluid, they can make it work. Dallas can't afford another franchise tag? Cut Crawford after this year, and they've covered the franchise tag difference between this year and next. When's the last time that a guy with 5.5 sacks as a career high created a significant hole? Reclamation project, George Selvie, had 7 sacks one year, and he didn't have a $10M cap hit.

The team can make it work. Teams can always make it work so long as they are either: A) diligent and use restructuring on a very, very, limited basis; or B) be entirely stupid and operate like Dallas did for much of the time period between about 2007 and 2014.

With restructuring as an option, how can $6M ever be a deterrent? I think restructuring is stupid (have for a long time), but saying, "virtually impossible", is flat-out wrong.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yeah, not really.

Cap dollars are so fluid, they can make it work. Dallas can't afford another franchise tag? Cut Crawford after this year, and they've covered the franchise tag difference between this year and next. When's the last time that a guy with 5.5 sacks as a career high created a significant hole? Reclamation project, George Selvie, had 7 sacks one year, and he didn't have a $10M cap hit.

The team can make it work. Teams can always make it work so long as they are either: A) diligent and use restructuring on a very, very, limited basis; or B) be entirely stupid and operate like Dallas did for much of the time period between about 2007 and 2014.

With restructuring as an option, how can $6M ever be a deterrent? I think restructuring is stupid (have for a long time), but saying, "virtually impossible", is flat-out wrong.

Money carried over from 2020 (no further spending) = $11m
Cap Space available (after removing free agents inc Crawford) = $36m

Dak Franchise Tag = $37.7

That will leave $10m, to replace

QB2, (Dalton)
C (unless you chance the inexperienced Biadasz /McGovern)
DE1 (replace Crawford)
DE2 (replace A Smith and Gregory's a FA)
LB1 (replace Lee)
LB 2 x2 ( Thomas and March)
Safety1's x2 (Clinton Dix and Woods)
CB 1 (Awuzie)
CB 2 (Lewis, Worley)

We can replace the above with $1m contracts, but its going to create holes....

We could restructure, however the only real candidates would be Coops, DLaw and Deke.

The problem with this is two fold:

1) It'll mean telling all 3 they're going to get cut in 2022/23.... nothing like improving moral
2) Our CAP space for 2022 and 2023 is already tight and we're going to have to factor Dak's backdated contract.
3) We wont contest in the FA market for some time.....we rank:
- 21st in Cap space for 2021, - Before Dak's contract
- 29th for 2022 - " " "
- Dead last 32nd in 2023.

I say this not because I don't want Dak, its to show:
1) We probably aren't going to give him the Franchise Tag in 2021
2) Why JJ needs Dak to sign for 5 years.

glimmerman

Reaction score

QB2, (Dalton)
DE1 (replace Crawford)
LB1 (replace Lee)
CB 1 (Awuzie)
CB 2 (Lewis, Worley)

We could restructure, however the only real candidates would be Coops, DLaw and Deke.

1) It'll mean telling all 3 they're going to get cut in 2022/23.... nothing like improving moral
2) Our CAP space for 2022 and 2023 is already tight and we're going to have to factor Dak's backdated contract.
- 29th for 2022 - " " "

He will only sign a 4 year deal. That’s the hang up now. If JJ wants 5 years then his agent wants 45 million for the 5th year.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
He deserves it. Anyone that says otherwise is just a hater. He’s going to get paid. Whether he’s here in the Cowboys or elsewhere.
What a silly statement. Just because a person doesn't think Dak is worth top dollar doesn't make them a hater.

There are feelings in between love and hate. I cannot believe how many people don't understand that. It's a direct reflection on society today. You either have to pray at the altar of whatever or burn it down. What a simple was of thinking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He will only sign a 4 year deal. That’s the hang up now. If JJ wants 5 years then his agent wants 45 million for the 5th year.

I know, read it before....I agreed with the 45 for 5th year...so long as we dictate the structuring.

As said here and other 'restructuring thread', the CAP problems don't improve in '21,'22 and '23.

It's so easy for some to say "restructure contracts" and "pay Dak the money".....we're going to end up with some many holes as we're going to have to fill the roster with scrubs.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I know, read it before....I agreed with the 45 for 5th year...so long as we dictate the structuring.

As said here and other 'restructuring thread', the CAP problems don't improve in '21,'22 and '23.

It's so easy for some to say "restructure contracts" and "pay Dak the money".....we're going to end up with some many holes as we're going to have to fill the roster with scrubs.
Yes sir. JJ has people that can move the money around in the cap and make it work. Players like Crawford could be a casualty.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes sir. JJ has people that can move the money around in the cap and make it work. Players like Crawford could be a casualty.

Problem is, in 2021, even with Crawford gone we are still left with just $36m (+ carry over) not including what we'll pay Dak…..to compound matters Aldon and Gregory are FA's. So with next to nothing left we wont be able to compete in the FA market, especially as we have a long list of defensive free agents.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

QB2, (Dalton)
DE1 (replace Crawford)
LB1 (replace Lee)
CB 1 (Awuzie)
CB 2 (Lewis, Worley)

- 29th for 2022 - " " "

There's no need to argue about this. It is not "virtually impossible" for Dallas to sign Dak. They have cap space, and can remove players from the equation to make cap spaces. $30M in 2021 and $90M in 2022 are not deterrents to signing their QB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There's no need to argue about this. It is not "virtually impossible" for Dallas to sign Dak. They have cap space, and can remove players from the equation to make cap spaces. $30M in 2021 and $90M in 2022 are not deterrents to signing their QB.

If you're going to quote, don't paraphrase.

"Virtually impossible to offer the Franchise Tag in 2021."

Who do you "remove" to create the $30m in 2021 ???

We can remove players - sounds easy..... but you're "removing players" (assuming you're talking DLaw, Deke and Coops) which just creates further holes.

What do you pay the replacements with??

glimmerman

Reaction score
Problem is, in 2021, even with Crawford gone we are still left with just $36m (+ carry over) not including what we'll pay Dak…..to compound matters Aldon and Gregory are FA's. So with next to nothing left we wont be able to compete in the FA market, especially as we have a long list of defensive free agents.
We will figure something out.. and we have draft picks between now and then.. If JJ don’t trade them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Almost every rookie that start is under paid. Its part of the game.
That's what the players wanted. They thought the incoming rookies were getting overpaid and negotiated that change with their deal years ago. I like it better now because most of the rookies have to prove themselves before making big bank. Earn that big money with your second deal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If you're going to quote, don't paraphrase.

We can remove players - sounds easy..... but you're "removing players" (assuming you're talking DLaw, Deke and Coops) which just creates further holes.

Lol. I said Crawford. You aren't even paraphrasing, you're just making it up at this point by mentioning these players.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Lol. I said Crawford. You aren't even paraphrasing, you're just making it up at this point by mentioning these players.

2021 - we have $36m (+ carryover) available ….after you take off Crawford's money.

Try again.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
2021 - we have $36m (+ carryover) available ….after you take off Crawford's money.

Try again.

Oh, my! How will Dallas ever find another $2M in cap space. That's unheard-of.

For the record, I misspoke. Crawford wouldn't even have to be cut. His contract is up. Hell, I'd cut him now if it came to it. Save $8M. Problem solved.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Oh, my! How will Dallas ever find another $2M in cap space. That's unheard-of.

For the record, I misspoke. Crawford wouldn't even have to be cut. His contract is up. Hell, I'd cut him now if it came to it. Save $8M. Problem solved.

You still don't get it.....$36m left to spend AFTER Crawford's GONE.

Oh btw how are we going to replace any of the other Free Agents???

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Very true.

Dak has played great and produced much more than he has been compensated for.

On the flipside though, if Dallas got only 1 playoff with him on that bargain deal, how will they get more than that when Dak is taking up a significant percentage of the cap?

That's what concerns me.
Coaching, my dude!