Twitter: Dak High-Fiving Receivers in motion

skinsscalper

Reaction score
We never, ever saw things like this with Garrett or Linehan.

The motion plays are going to help us tremendously.

Kellen does a great job at putting complex plays in simple language with simple explanations.

This is going to turn into something great.

The thing about all this motion that is being overlooked is how much it is helping Dak (pre-snap) to read the defense. With all that movement, the defense has no choice but to show their hand before the snap.

I said it in an earlier thread: Moore is not creating new route concepts or running plays. The basic fundamentals of this offense are very similar to what we've always ran. We are running a lot of those plays out of some different looks and formations but it's fundamentally the same offense. Garrett's/Linehan's offense wasn't "broken", per se, but they refused to do the same things that other offenses were doing which was creating confusion on the defensive side of the ball. We were easy to defend, not because the plays themselves were ineffective, but because we did half of the opposing defense's job for them by being static with a lack of pre-snap looks.

Dak knew where he was going with the ball before the ball was even snapped on, I'd say, at least 75-80% of his snaps on Sunday because the motion forced the defense to declare before the ball left the center's hand. He was decisive in his reads and execution because he knew what passing lanes and routes would likely be open. He took one look at the movement of the LBs and Ss at the snap and his mind was made up.

That's the big difference.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The thing about all this motion that is being overlooked is how much it is helping Dak (pre-snap) to read the defense. With all that movement, the defense has no choice but to show their hand before the snap.

I said it in an earlier thread: Moore is not creating new route concepts or running plays. The basic fundamentals of this offense are very similar to what we've always ran. We are running a lot of those plays out of some different looks and formations but it's fundamentally the same offense. Garrett's/Linehan's offense wasn't "broken", per se, but they refused to do the same things that other offenses were doing which was creating confusion on the defensive side of the ball. We were easy to defend, not because the plays themselves were ineffective, but because we did half of the opposing defense's job for them by being static with a lack of pre-snap looks.

Dak knew where he was going with the ball before the ball was even snapped on, I'd say, at least 75-80% of his snaps on Sunday because the motion forced the defense to declare before the ball left the center's hand. He was decisive in his reads and execution because he knew what passing lanes and routes would likely be open. He took one look at the movement of the LBs and Ss at the snap and his mind was made up.

Like I said, Kellen said they were using motions in college to peek at which coverages the defenses were in.

He's doing the same kinds of things in Dallas as he did in college, and he had great success with that. In part, because he understands it all so well.

erod

Reaction score

Well, when you're running a screen, there's not much "reading" the defense. This was just a designed disguise of a screen by Moore.

Dallas runs that screen often. It's important to give it lots of different window dressing during the year so teams don't know what is coming.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Well, when you're running a screen, there's not much "reading" the defense. This was just a designed disguise of a screen by Moore.

Dallas runs that screen often. It's important to give it lots of different window dressing during the year so teams don't know what is coming.
You're talking about one play. I'm talking about an entire performance.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Like I said, Kellen said they were using motions in college to peek at which coverages the defenses were in.

He's doing the same kind of things in Dallas as he did in college, and he had great success with that. In part, because he understands it all so well.
That's the beauty of Moore. The dude is smart. Way smarter than athletic. It's why he was the winningest QB in NCAA history. It had nothing to do with his athleticism.

In fact, once Moore left college, his college HC had to abandon that same offense because he couldn't find a QB smart enough to run it anymore.

I'm going to flip my lid if we retain Garrett and let Moore slip out the door. It would be Sean Payton all over again.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That's the beauty of Moore. The dude is smart. Way smarter than athletic. It's why he was the winningest QB in NCAA history. It had nothing to do with his athleticism.

In fact, once Moore left college, his college HC had to abandon that same offense because he couldn't find a QB smart enough to run it anymore.

I'm going to flip my lid if we retain Garrett and let Moore slip out the door. It would be Sean Payton all over again.

Me, too. It would be worse than Sean Payton, and I was a big advocate of Payton's....

sean10mm

Reaction score
The Cowboys also used more route combinations that created legal pick plays. Creates more problems for DBs trying to stay on their guy when the other WRs are creating traffic.

Sammy

Reaction score

I vote for paying him like a head coach but keeping him in the OC position.

davidariust24

Reaction score

Dak and this offense looking swaggerific

Dak look better in every way. He has definitely put in work on his mechanics and accuracy. You can tell he sees the field better. He looks off safeties better now which means he know what he wants to do. The throw to Gallup on the sideline showed that he can have laser accuracy even when being hurried by a rusher coming through from the middle. He was driving the ball into receivers most of the time in stride but most importantly where only the receiver would get the ball.

The Scheme of Moore is better but Dak is better too and when you combine the improved scheme and a better Dak that's what happened on Sunday.

Yes the giants defense isnt good, but how soon we.forget the last game of the season last year Dak had a huge game vs the giants with Vernon playing and Collins and whoever else they had .

Dak has been transforming to what we saw yesterday since the arrival of Amari Cooper. He now has an improved Gallup, Jarwin should be improved, Amari is Amari, the addition of Cobb is huge.

I personally think Devin Smith is a very high potential sleeper. The preseason showed why he was a second round pick out of Ohio St. The guy has great speed. He gets from 0-60 in a hurry probably better than any receiver on the team. He did a great job catching passes without dropping them. I'd like to see a sprinkle of this guy because I think if we have to go to four receivers I really feel his size has an advantage over Austin. We need to throw one to Smith out of the slot and see how he looks. If one of our top three receivers get injured for some reason, I feel this guy can step in. These next two games are two of our easier ones so it would be wise to give this guy a taste before we play the likes of the Saints or Packers. This is already a dangerous team but if Smith can finally fulfill that draft pedigree somewhat. WOW is all I can say. The Dak attack is real

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I vote for paying him like a head coach but keeping him in the OC position.
That works for a short amount of time but eventually these guys' egos refuse to let them sit in the back seat. They want to prove they can handle the top spot.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Like I said, Moore is a master at simplifying the complexities.

This really isn't his first season in a coaching role.

He was in a coaching role in college, as quarterback. And he's been around this game his whole life.

Gruden was right that he anticipates well.

I think he'll do it so we'll he'll accurately anticipate defensive coordinators' attempts to adjust and game plan for him.

He's smart enough to have a plan for that.

If you listen to him talk, you'll find he sometimes uses motions to peek at which coverage the defense might be in.. things like that.

He seems to have an intuitive anthropological imagination and a love for Xs and Os.

His thinking really is a process.. Not just a mantra.

What... In game adjustments....
What will they think of next.