Dak, his agent, and Jerry will all attend the charity event tonight

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak said he wasn't trying to reset the market and we believe him, right?

RIGHT???
While he might not be intent on setting it he will most likely want close to it.

This is probably what Jethro is waiting on when he says “waiting on the leaves to fall”.

Goff didn’t reset it at 53 per. We’ll see if Lawrence or Tua do. My hunch is Trevor will break the 55 per Burrows set last year which Id suspect is close to the baseline Dak is currently at.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To reset the market he would need about 61-63m. Anything else is just keeping up with the inflation from the previous deals.
I’m not sure why it needs anything more than to pass the 55 per Burrows set last year to qualify as resetting the market?

Adreme

Reaction score
I’m not sure why it needs anything more than to pass the 55 per Burrows set last year to qualify as resetting the market?
Keeping up with inflation does not reset the market. Per a quick search the salary cap went up by about 13.5%. That means to reset the market you would need a deal that is beyond that. Even if you want to take Burrow as a significant outlier, as he is one of the 4-5 unquestioned t1 QBs, you can look at Herberts 52.5m and use that as a baseline. 13.5% over that gets you to 59.5m so basically anything under 60m is merely keeping up with the salary cap inflation..

NotForLong

Reaction score
Yeah we should all be insanely lucky for 3-4 more years of "winning the division" and "sending Brady to retirement (losing record team)" and "Second in MVP votes (1 vote).

Why are you so scared of finding real success ?
They are is to laughing at us every time He signs His name to a contract. Like they won something

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So what is the hope here? Is it that they get together and iron out a deal that extends Dak? No, that's not happening. Dak must punch his ticket to a future in Dallas by getting us to an NFCC game. Nothing else will do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Keeping up with inflation does not reset the market. Per a quick search the salary cap went up by about 13.5%. That means to reset the market you would need a deal that is beyond that. Even if you want to take Burrow as a significant outlier, as he is one of the 4-5 unquestioned t1 QBs, you can look at Herberts 52.5m and use that as a baseline. 13.5% over that gets you to 59.5m so basically anything under 60m is merely keeping up with the salary cap inflation..
There’s certainly an argument to be made for keeping up with inflation rate on Cap but think most fans, at least I know I am, are looking at last years top salary as baseline especially since this years crop of Franchise QB’s IMO aren’t as great as last year.

Adreme

Reaction score
There’s certainly an argument to be made for keeping up with inflation rate on Cap but think most fans, at least I know I am, are looking at last years top salary as baseline especially since this years crop of Franchise QB’s IMO aren’t as great as last year.
Goff did more to reset the market than Dak. The reason I used Herbert as the point of comparison to Dak is because they are about the same level of player with the same general complaints made about them. Goff is someone no one would really call a top 10 QB and is at best a borderline top 15 guy but probably not even that. When that kind of player gets paid it does more to shift the market than anything because now no one wants to take less than the guy they are clearly better than.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So what is the hope here? Is it that they get together and iron out a deal that extends Dak? No, that's not happening. Dak must punch his ticket to a future in Dallas by getting us to an NFCC game. Nothing else will do.
While that might be true for many fans , I’m not true that’s the bar for our ownership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Goff did more to reset the market than Dak. The reason I used Herbert as the point of comparison to Dak is because they are about the same level of player with the same general complaints made about them. Goff is someone no one would really call a top 10 QB and is at best a borderline top 15 guy but probably not even that. When that kind of player gets paid it does more to shift the market than anything because now no one wants to take less than the guy they are clearly better than.
While I think Dak is considered greater than Goff while he hasn’t had as much success in playoffs which in some fans and critics minds might place him above Dak.

I’d probably place Herbert as closer to Elite talent than Dak. Much like with Burrows even though he hasn’t had as much success in the playoffs.

I still think Trevor could set the new baseline closer to high 50’s and Dak could fall somewhere inbetween in the mid to upper 50’s which by your definition wouldn’t be Market Price while still above last years top contracts.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I think Dak is considered greater than Goff while he hasn’t had as much success in playoffs which in some fans and critics minds might place him above Dak.

I’d probably place Herbert as closer to Elite talent than Dak. Much like with Burrows even though he hasn’t had as much success in the playoffs.

I still think Trevor could set the new baseline closer to high 50’s and Dak could fall somewhere inbetween in the mid to upper 50’s which by your definition wouldn’t be Market Price while still above last years top contracts.
:muttley:

Adreme

Reaction score

A good way to tell that someone does not know football, at anything beyond an elementary school level, is if they put Goff above Dak. No GM is going to do that. You will see that in a couple months when the annual survey of GMs, coaches, and executives comes out and they have Dak in the top 10 and Goff somewhere in the 13-18 range. The reason is that while Goff can look like a competent starter, he requires two conditions: absolutely no pressure and to be in a dome. If the pass rush gets to him he has been one of the 5 worst QBs in the NFL when pressured every single year of his career. Fortunately for the Lions they play in a dome and with a top 3 OLine so he can look passable for them but he is their weakest link on offense.

Meanwhile it seems like you are falling prey to a lot of the "more name than game" syndrome when you are talking about these QBs. Trevor Lawrence has played for 3 years and had one 8 game run where he looked like a good QB. Note I did not say great I said good. Most of his hype is that everyone called him a generational cant miss talent and people who say that are going to look for any opportunity to be right. To a similar degree we can same the same with Herbert. Now Herbert has played better than Lawrence but generally has been a solid tier 2 QB and has been since his rookie year. For Herbert he has been coaxing on that rookie year so people have not really noticed that he has not taken a step forward since then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A good way to tell that someone does not know football, at anything beyond an elementary school level, is if they put Goff above Dak. No GM is going to do that. You will see that in a couple months when the annual survey of GMs, coaches, and executives comes out and they have Dak in the top 10 and Goff somewhere in the 13-18 range. The reason is that while Goff can look like a competent starter, he requires two conditions: absolutely no pressure and to be in a dome. If the pass rush gets to him he has been one of the 5 worst QBs in the NFL when pressured every single year of his career. Fortunately for the Lions they play in a dome and with a top 3 OLine so he can look passable for them but he is their weakest link on offense.

Meanwhile it seems like you are falling prey to a lot of the "more name than game" syndrome when you are talking about these QBs. Trevor Lawrence has played for 3 years and had one 8 game run where he looked like a good QB. Note I did not say great I said good. Most of his hype is that everyone called him a generational cant miss talent and people who say that are going to look for any opportunity to be right. To a similar degree we can same the same with Herbert. Now Herbert has played better than Lawrence but generally has been a solid tier 2 QB and has been since his rookie year. For Herbert he has been coaxing on that rookie year so people have not really noticed that he has not taken a step forward since then.
Yea, all good arguments but to these franchises like Jax and LAC it comes down to they believe they’ve finally found their Franchise QB. And one which has the ability to provide them a playoff contender.