Dak is improving

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yes, I know his fumble was unforgivable. He also whiffed on the two wide open wrs for td on a single play.

But you can see the confidence growing in his throwing, he's starting to look down field for those chunk plays. I say we stick it out with him this season. I think he's in the middle of finding his stride right now. That being said, if he regresses or doesn't continue on this path depending on our options in FA/ draft, put the writing on the wall.

First of all the fumble is not unforgivable

It was a mistake. Mistakes happen. That’s part of life whether you’re a football player or doing anything else for a living

Regarding the larger point of your post I would have to respectfully disagree. When I look at Prescott play, I don’t see improvement I see regression.

I and probably most others could deal with the occasional bad game or play like we saw versus Washington the other night. To me the larger concern is that we see these types of plays several games in a row

If the trend was four or five really good games with a bad game sprinkled in on the rare occasion that I would have much more cause for optimism. Unfortunately it appears to be the opposite. One pretty good game followed by several very pedestrian or out right bad games in A row

That seems to be his consistent trend and unfortunately it does not seem to be improving

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Prescott's passer rating under pressure ranks 6th in the league. From a clean pocket, it ranks 21st.

Since it's normal to have a clean pocket about twice as often as not, that's not good. It's also not much of an improvement. From a clean pocket, he was 3rd in 2016, 10th in the first half of 2017, and 26th in the second half of 2017.

Passer Rating when Pressured

(min 70 pressured dropbacks)
1 Rivers 118.5
2 Wentz 91.1
3 Cousins 89.9
4 Ryan 83.6
5 Brady 82.9
6 Prescott 79.1

Passer Rating from Clean Pocket
(min 140 clean dropbacks)
1 Mahomes 131.5
2 Brees 126.7
3 Ryan 125.6
4 Goff 122.0
5 Rivers 117.4

21 Prescott 91.4

from PFF

I can understand why he'd rank higher "when pressured" if that includes plays where he escapes the pocket. Are there rankings for passes made from the pocket, clean or not?

conner01

Reaction score
We’re currently 3-4, with some tough games coming up.

As for Dak, much like the team, he’s basically treading water — nothing more, nothing less.
That’s a good analysis
Dak does some good, some bad
Some blame the oline but I see plenty of times the pressure is well after the time to throw
Some say he can’t throw but when he sets his feet he actually passes good enough
I see the bright spots but to me the biggest issue with Dak is it takes him way to long to make a decision
I seen a very nice pass to Gallup for the td that was wide open but I see guys time after time get “nfl” open and he either doesn’t see them or he’s late with the pass
Some fans can criticize a play without getting almost personal
Some fans can’t take critique of “their guy”” even when he plays bad
I see Dak as a hard worker who has some tools that work well in today’s nfl. I think his arm is good enough to win, my question is can he improve his decision making enough to win
It’s year 3 and that’s early in a QB career
But I’m concerned that speeding up the decision making process hasn’t really improved
I think he has improved in recognition but I see a receiver breaking open and then the throw or it’s not seen
I don’t see anticipation of guys being open
I rarely see a pass thrown before the guys open
All that said I think yesterday’s trade means any thought of changing QB in the next couple years is obviously not happening

ClintDagger

Reaction score
That’s a good analysis
Dak does some good, some bad
Some blame the oline but I see plenty of times the pressure is well after the time to throw
Some say he can’t throw but when he sets his feet he actually passes good enough
I see the bright spots but to me the biggest issue with Dak is it takes him way to long to make a decision
I seen a very nice pass to Gallup for the td that was wide open but I see guys time after time get “nfl” open and he either doesn’t see them or he’s late with the pass
Some fans can criticize a play without getting almost personal
Some fans can’t take critique of “their guy”” even when he plays bad
I see Dak as a hard worker who has some tools that work well in today’s nfl. I think his arm is good enough to win, my question is can he improve his decision making enough to win
It’s year 3 and that’s early in a QB career
But I’m concerned that speeding up the decision making process hasn’t really improved
I think he has improved in recognition but I see a receiver breaking open and then the throw or it’s not seen
I don’t see anticipation of guys being open
I rarely see a pass thrown before the guys open
All that said I think yesterday’s trade means any thought of changing QB in the next couple years is obviously not happening
The OL blame is ridiculous. With what the Skins are doing you are not going to have time to hold the ball, make read after read after read, and wait for someone to break wide open. You’ve got man coverage with only 1 deep safety all across the field. That would have even mid-range QBs like Dalton salivating at the opportunity to make quick throws to single covered guys. Heck you can almost decide pre-snap who you’re going to in that situation.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's bad when the tape shows Gallup wasn't open until after Dak had a defender screaming. The hate for Dak is unreal that folks can't even decipher the tape.

Clearly that’s not what’s in the video and even of it was, it’s no surprise your a Dak homer thinking he had to be wide open for the throw to he made, considering Gallup had complete control over the DB back the whole way including no help over top...

But yeah I’m sure Gallup was less open than this when Dak mad the throw in preseason..

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I can understand why he'd rank higher "when pressured" if that includes plays where he escapes the pocket. Are there rankings for passes made from the pocket, clean or not?
No, that's all pressured attempts -- whether he hung in the pocket or bailed.

khiladi

Reaction score
As I look at this route what I see is Gallup coming open but Dak not having the ability to step up and make this throw because of pressure up the middle but he certainly could have dumped the throw

Now Dak makes that throw and can’t put anything on it then you guys are complaining about how inaccurate he is

I agree Dak needs to improve no arguments there but so does the line and wr group and coaching staff

He was already open per any standard of NFL QB. That DL got stood up by the TE as he should have and had to change his angle of pursuit and Dak had already stepped back an additonal like 7 yards and towards the right side. Dude didn’t even have to drift in reality.

And QB is salivating over that matchup because Gallup has all the leverage in the world and that’s Dak’s first read and he’s supposed to go with it from the get go.

khiladi

Reaction score

If these are the same rankings from NextGen, the rating is based on how many yards a defender is away from Dak, meaning it doesn’t take into account how long Dak holds onto the ball before throwing, meaning he could very well be holding onto the ball too long and create the pressure for himself, which anybody who obviously watches the game realizes is one of his most obvious flaws.

It’s a useless state to measure Dak but, plus the guy doesn’t even throw that much anyways, which makes it more ridiculous to compare him to other QBs. If he’s throwing that much, your going to see this pressure numbers based on this criteria increase that much more because of how long he holds onto the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
I didn’t think the route was a slant I thought it was same as earlier route a stop and go

It wasn’t a slant, but he had inside leverage meaning it was that much easier to throw the ball.. he didn’t even have to put it over the defender, but simply lay it somewhat inside.

I guarantee you Dak basically got scared of the DB on the inside that showed a little.

Gallup is already at the 30 yard line passed the DB playing middle zone before the DB is even close to him.

khiladi

Reaction score
Actually Dak is doing just fine. He's making millions of dollars and has more women than he can handle.

What he isn't doing is whining like a ten year old on a message board. But if he ever needs that, I'm sure he will call you.

We on a forum discussing football. The last bastion of homers to resort to is the ‘paycheck’ of their scrubby players and how a person is discussing football on a forum dedicated to it, while the homer himself ‘ironically’ is participating in the same forum, the only difference is he’s a cheerleader riding the jock of the scrub..

starfan1

Reaction score
It wasn’t a slant, but he had inside leverage meaning it was that much easier to throw the ball.. he didn’t even have to put it over the defender, but simply lay it somewhat inside.

I guarantee you Dak basically got scared of the DB on the inside that showed a little.

Gallup is already at the 30 yard line passed the DB playing middle zone before the DB is even close to him.
Again I’ll look at it again on my bigger screen at work but what I saw Gallup was not an option until it was too late

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Clearly that’s not what’s in the video and even of it was, it’s no surprise your a Dak homer thinking he had to be wide open for the throw to he made, considering Gallup had complete control over the DB back the whole way including no help over top...

But yeah I’m sure Gallup was less open than this when Dak mad the throw in preseason..

Great job posting a video that has nothing to do with the play we are taking about. It's clear you are either blind or don't know what you are talking about.