Dak Is MVP Right Now Based on On-Field Performance

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I hope more realize, that regardless as to how lights out Dak plays, the TEAM has to excel. This defense laid an egg. It's not sustainable. Neither is the level of Dak's play, really. Even the elite level QBs can't maintain that ALL the time.
If this defense can match up better moving forward like it has many times, we're a tough team to beat.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s a requirement at all.

If we continue to win down this rough stretch against quality opponents we’ll end up with a better W/L record as a wildcard team than some of the division winners. He has to continue playing at a high level too.

At that point he’ll check the boxes…led his team to strong record, made the post season, and put up individual stats.
If both Dallas and Philly go 14-3 and the Eagles win the division, they'll probably give it to Hurts.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
With the help of the 49ers this coming Sunday, the Cowboys will be one win away from taking the lead in the NFC East. At that point, Dak will be a legit MVP candidate, not before.

817Gill

Reaction score
With the help of the 49ers this coming Sunday, the Cowboys will be one win away from taking the lead in the NFC East. At that point, Dak will be a legit MVP candidate, not before.
If you are a legitimate candidate after one game you were a solid candidate before. He can go from 3/4th odds to dang near leading the race with a win though, I certainly agree with that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you are a legitimate candidate after one game you were a solid candidate before. He can go from 3/4th odds to dang near leading the race with a win though, I certainly agree with that.
You obviously don't understand the politics involved with those who vote for MVP. There are certain boxes a legit MVP must check. Being a division leader is important for a QB. Jalen Hurts will get those votes, otherwise.

817Gill

Reaction score
You obviously don't understand the politics involved with those who vote for MVP. There are certain boxes a legit MVP must check. Being a division leader is important for a QB. Jalen Hurts will get those votes, otherwise.
You need that to win, but you can be a contender in the race despite that especially if the margin is a game and a half.

Is he going to win without a division crown? Probably not. But he is in the race now, before the second eagles game. The odds are there; the conversation is there. He’s as much of a contender as Tua is odds-wise and he’s leading his division.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You need that to win, but you can be a contender in the race despite that especially if the margin is a game and a half.

Is he going to win without a division crown? Probably not. But he is in the race now, before the second eagles game. The odds are there; the conversation is there. He’s as much of a contender as Tua is odds-wise and he’s leading his division.
I will concede your point while standing by my own, as I was talking about winning MVP. At this point, it is a two-man race, only... between Hurts and Prescott. The team that wins the NFC East division will have the QB that wins the MVP award. Talking about Tua or anyone else, other than these two NFC East QBs is a waste of time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo was the first QB in NFL history to lead the league in Passer Rating in both the Regular and Post seasons in 2014
He was still runner-up by a mile to Rodgers that year. But Rodgers was lights out in 2014.
Dak's competition is not lights out this year.

• Mahomes is having a "down" year and Hurts has backed off too.
  • Allen leads the league by a lot in total TDs but he has more turnovers than he should and his team is under-performing.
  • Lamar is getting way more love than his stats (including rushing) say he should
  • Although Purdy's overall combined production might even be ahead of Dak's, I don't think he is even being considered. Fair or not...he is not winning it.

I agree with the OP that if Dak can keep this up vs the better pass Ds coming up, and Dallas keeps winning, he DOES have a real shot at winning MVP.
He's killing it thru 12 games.
:flagwave:

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
We may not be first in the division and probably won’t end up at the top of the conference but man this is the best I’ve ever seen this guy play.

He truly was the reason we won tonight. Hats off to him. One poster claimed 9-8 and a loss as soon as he was able to post again lol. Feel bad for him his whole perception of Dak has been shattered.

We’ll see what happens in the post season, but it’s clear Dak is a top 10 QB who’s been a top 5 guy this season.
Let’s see what he does against upper echelon teams.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Romo was the first QB in NFL history to lead the league in Passer Rating in both the Regular and Post seasons in 2014
He was still runner-up by a mile to Rodgers that year. But Rodgers was lights out in 2014.
Dak's competition is not lights out this year.

• Mahomes is having a "down" year and Hurts has backed off too.
  • Allen leads the league by a lot in total TDs but he has more turnovers than he should and his team is under-performing.
  • Lamar is getting way more love than his stats (including rushing) say he should
  • Although Purdy's overall combined production might even be ahead of Dak's, I don't think he is even being considered. Fair or not...he is not winning it.

I agree with the OP that if Dak can keep this up vs the better pass Ds coming up, and Dallas keeps winning, he DOES have a real shot at winning MVP.
He's killing it thru 12 games.
:flagwave:
Absolutely… because it means he’ll have done it against very good teams.