Dak Prescott - 2016 vs 2017-18

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
I may be about to cast pearls before swine, in a manner of speaking. I know countless threads have already been posted about how Dak Prescott played against Carolina last Sunday. I know many of those threads have went on for pages with his fans and his detractors going on and on about how he is still a good QB or not so much, depending on which side of the coin you fall on.

Personally, I have always liked Prescott. I like to see unexpected results from unexpected sources and if 2016, as well as a portion of 2017 wasn't exactly that, then nothing else is. Clearly, no one expected him to play out of his mind like he did in his rookie year. Having said that, he clearly had a terrible game against Carolina. His accuracy was off, in a major way. (If I recall correctly, he had that same issue last year in the opening game against the Giants, although to a lesser degree.)

The point of my post is to ask a question. What is the difference between 2016 and 2017-18? Don't bother bringing up the argument that NFL defenses have enough film on him to effectively neuter his abilities. I don't buy that for a moment. I am not a football expert, far from it, but one thing stuck out to me in the Carolina game. For lack of a better term, Dak looked like he had "happy feet". They were moving constantly when he was in the pocket, as if he expected to have to escape with hardly a moment's notice. It looked like to me that he was playing scared, even though Chaz Green wasn't guarding his blind side.

The video below is just to show an example of the difference I have noticed. Dak did not play that way in 2016. Yes, it is a highlight video, so you don't see the blunders I am sure he made, but it clearly shows a young QB playing with authority and without fear. He made many good throws that were not even close to the dinking and dunking he did last Sunday. He made throws into tight coverage, over and over again. he completed throws deep down both sidelines and several crossing routes to at least four different receivers. Yes, I know we have all been told that he doesn't have the arm to throw deep, but clearly, that is not the case. He is capable.

So again, what is the difference between the Dak Prescott of 2016 and 2017-18? Did the Atlanta game, where he needed life insurance because of the turnstile at left guard, get into his head that much? I honestly do not know the answer to that question, but if it is a yes, then how does a young QB recover from that? How does he move past it to the place where he can settle in the pocket and play like the version of himself that we saw in 2016?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dak’s mechanics and decision making crumble once he is under pressure. In a pristine pocket— he has shown to be a capable QB. Under duress— he is a liability.

Our biggest strength is supposed to be our OL. They gave up 6 sacks and 10 QB hits on Sun in Carolina...and it showed in Dak’s performance. That’s simply not acceptable

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Dak’s mechanics and decision making crumble once he is under pressure. In a pristine pocket— he has shown to be a capable QB. Under duress— he is a liability.

Our biggest strength is supposed to be our OL. They gave up 6 sacks and 10 QB hits on Sun in Carolina...and it showed in Dak’s performance. That’s simply not acceptable

Then is it possible Dak can move past this, to where he can play without so much fear?

Aven8

Reaction score
Simple answer is 2 years with JG. Not surprised by the regression. The only teachers on this team are on the defensive side of the ball.

irishline

Reaction score
the cowboys are paying way to much money to this over hyped over paid offensive line

Hopefully we don't do the same with the QB next offseason.

To answer the question, he is displaying exactly what was said about him in his pre-draft scouting reports. There is nothing new. He had a great line and running game his rookie season, which made it easier to play to his strengths. Teams are starting to take that away (running game), the line has regressed, and teams are starting to force Dak to beat them.

He needs things around him to improve for him to improve. Unfortunately the things around him need Dak to improve for them to improve. Its a catch 22 at this point.

Love the kid though and will route and hope for nothing but success for him.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015...w-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move

Last edited:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I may be about to cast pearls before swine, in a manner of speaking. I know countless threads have already been posted about how Dak Prescott played against Carolina last Sunday. I know many of those threads have went on for pages with his fans and his detractors going on and on about how he is still a good QB or not so much, depending on which side of the coin you fall on.

Personally, I have always liked Prescott. I like to see unexpected results from unexpected sources and if 2016, as well as a portion of 2017 wasn't exactly that, then nothing else is. Clearly, no one expected him to play out of his mind like he did in his rookie year. Having said that, he clearly had a terrible game against Carolina. His accuracy was off, in a major way. (If I recall correctly, he had that same issue last year in the opening game against the Giants, although to a lesser degree.)

The point of my post is to ask a question. What is the difference between 2016 and 2017-18? Don't bother bringing up the argument that NFL defenses have enough film on him to effectively neuter his abilities. I don't buy that for a moment. I am not a football expert, far from it, but one thing stuck out to me in the Carolina game. For lack of a better term, Dak looked like he had "happy feet

You are right you’re not a football expert nor am I. But I can say you are totally wrong in this statement. NFL defenses has the book on Dak and you even heard it from defensive players, is that not proof enough. If you look back on Dak’s rookie year the Giants, Eagles and Vikings all made Dak have not so good games. Well teams took that and ran with it. Now QB’s are suppose to evolve and get better to limit what defenses can take away from you and Dak hasn’t done that. Now through in an offensive line that isn’t playing well and it spells disaster.

Dak hasn’t evolved his game and our coaches haven’t made him better, if he can get better. Add that our offensive scheme is also not helping a QB that needs help. I heard a lot last weekend while watching games about “get the ball out” mentality, but that takes reading defenses quickly and I am not sure if he is doing that or just hesitant. Either way that has to be addressed by the coaches and if it is that he can’t read defenses quick enough, well we are just done!

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
You are right you’re not a football expert nor am I. But I can say you are totally wrong in this statement. NFL defenses has the book on Dak and you even heard it from defensive players, is that not proof enough. If you look back on Dak’s rookie year the Giants, Eagles and Vikings all made Dak have not so good games. Well teams took that and ran with it. Now QB’s are suppose to evolve and get better to limit what defenses can take away from you and Dak hasn’t done that. Now through in an offensive line that isn’t playing well and it spells disaster.

Dak hasn’t evolved his game and our coaches haven’t made him better, if he can get better. Add that our offensive scheme is also not helping a QB that needs help. I heard a lot last weekend while watching games about “get the ball out” mentality, but that takes reading defenses quickly and I am not sure if he is doing that or just hesitant. Either way that has to be addressed by the coaches and if it is that he can’t read defenses quick enough, well we are just done!

I understand your point, but I still say there is more to it than that. Yes, all players need to evolve and up their game, but in my mind, Dak is playing differently than he did in 2016. You can see it in his actions, the way he plays in the pocket, etc. He bounces on his feet all the time, like he is ready to bolt at any moment. He just looks like he is playing scared to me and I think that is affecting his throws and his confidence.

HungryLion

Reaction score
the cowboys are paying way to much money to this over hyped over paid offensive line

Not absolving Dak of course. But this is 100% the truth.

With the number of high draft picks and cap dollars invested in the offensive line. They HAVE to be dominant. The team is lacking at some other positions because of the heavy investment in the OL.

So again, they HAVE to be the dominant force on the team, if the team is going to be good.

zack

Reaction score
The difference is that in 2016 he had an inordinate amount of time to throw the ball. Back in 2016, I remember posting that he wasn’t going to have the time he was having to throw the ball like that every year. That is why it was my arguement to let Romo have his job back in 2016.

So to answer your question, he doesn’t have the same amount of time in the pocket. He’s having issues with pre and post snap reads and the ability to move through them quickly. His footwork is awful as well. Can he get past all of this, who knows?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Hope Nate wasn’t right. I remember him ominously saying a game like ATL could ruin a QB.

Hard to imagine the coaches let that happen.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Hope Nate wasn’t right. I remember him ominously saying a game like ATL could ruin a QB.

Hard to imagine the coaches letting that happen.

That last sentence is both hilarious and incredibly sad at the same time.

Vagabond

Reaction score

The point of my post is to ask a question. What is the difference between 2016 and 2017-18? Don't bother bringing up the argument that NFL defenses have enough film on him to effectively neuter his abilities. I don't buy that for a moment. I am not a football expert, far from it, but one thing stuck out to me in the Carolina game. For lack of a better term, Dak looked like he had "happy feet". They were moving constantly when he was in the pocket, as if he expected to have to escape with hardly a moment's notice. It looked like to me that he was playing scared, even though Chaz Green wasn't guarding his blind side.

The video below is just to show an example of the difference I have noticed. Dak did not play that way in 2016. Yes, it is a highlight video, so you don't see the blunders I am sure he made, but it clearly shows a young QB playing with authority and without fear. He made many good throws that were not even close to the dinking and dunking he did last Sunday. He made throws into tight coverage, over and over again. he completed throws deep down both sidelines and several crossing routes to at least four different receivers. Yes, I know we have all been told that he doesn't have the arm to throw deep, but clearly, that is not the case. He is capable.

So again, what is the difference between the Dak Prescott of 2016 and 2017-18? Did the Atlanta game, where he needed life insurance because of the turnstile at left guard, get into his head that much? I honestly do not know the answer to that question, but if it is a yes, then how does a young QB recover from that? How does he move past it to the place where he can settle in the pocket and play like the version of himself that we saw in 2016?

Dak me Jesus trough the goal post of life.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
" in calm Waters every ship has a good captain" In year 3 Dak has to prove he can bring the ship into port while facing adverse conditions.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have been telling folks here for a long time the road to the SB is not spending vast amounts of Cap and Picks on the offline.....waste and creates a unbalanced team.....but this is Jerrys football 101 so.....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

So you post a topic asking a question looking for respones but then limit the type of answers you want to hear?

Sounds more like you have your own theory and just want to create an echo chamber.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That last sentence is both hilarious and incredibly sad at the same time.

Ya NOW its the Off Lines fault Dak STINKS.....damn shame they couldn't keep Chaz Green here as the official Dak Prescott scape-goat ....baaaa....baaaaaaa ..baaaa Cjaz please come back please Dak was heard saying in the locker room lol....:eek:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Then is it possible Dak can move past this, to where he can play without so much fear?

I believe so... his confidence is shaken right now. With better execution up front and in the running game— the offense should stay ahead of the chains— and that is when Dak is most effective.

Poor execution, Penalties and negative plays destroyed the offense last week. A solid performance from Dak and a W tomorrow night would do wonders for this team (and fan base)