Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
After reading this column I've changed my mind on this a little bit. It still pisses me off that Dak can't be ok making 35 frickin' million dollars per for five years, but seeing that the difference is a whopping four mil I have to wonder what the hell the Joneses are thinking. Dak is quibbling over the difference between 47 and 51 mil too though, so it looks like to me both sides are just being stubborn.

To you it may not seem like a big deal. But Dak Prescott has not even made 4 million dollars yet...Of course he is quibbling over 4 million.

If this was Matthew Stafford or Eli Manning...sure. But this is the 77th highest paid QB over the last 4 years.

Dak rightfully wants every single penny.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If he wants to be paid as the highest player on the team then he needs to take the responsibility of the team.
so then up to this point, Dak wasn't the highest paid player on the team... so was he culpable for all the wins and losses? does he get the credit for 13-3 record and two NFCE titles? or does that go to lawrence? or Zeke or Martin since they were higher paid?

or are you holding him accountable for his past performance based on his future contract?

:huh:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah if it makes you feel better call me a Dak hater. Its the Internet don't really care. Facts are facts they are the same player and you're too blind to see that but worshipping mother men does that to people. Dak has won one and has a losign record in the playoffs too. Lets not talk like this guy has a SB or something. The only thing I denied is that Dak is better than Dalton all that other stuff is your own posting.
like I said, one has been in the league for almost 10 years. the other just finished his rookie contract. you are already writing the end of the book on dak. we are just in the middle chapters..

so if Burrow has a bad year or if Tua has a bad year and by the same token Murray was bad last year...I guess they all would suck....But Goff is probably really good and top notch QB since he went to the superbowl and took NE to the end and same with Grapolo, he must be freaking awesome, having past 8 times in a playoff game and gone to the superbowl...they deserve 38M/year contracts...because well, they have winning playoff records....

right?

morat1959

Reaction score
To you it may not seem like a big deal. But Dak Prescott has not even made 4 million dollars yet...Of course he is quibbling over 4 million.

If this was Matthew Stafford or Eli Manning...sure. But this is the 77th highest paid QB over the last 4 years.

Let another team give it to him. We’ve been down long enough.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If he fails, he's not getting $35MM in that 5th year anyway as the majority of paid money in that year would not be guaranteed. Plus that $35MM is just an average, not exactly what he would actually physically earn in his 5th year.

If he fails as a QB, Dallas would likely cut him long before he saw that 5th year.

You are failing to understand how these QB contracts are written. Dak won't be guaranteed any money in that 5th year unless he restructures at some point during the contract. So no, he's not risking $35MM by only signing a 4 year deal. He's basically giving himself nothing but upside.

I understand that only the 106 guaranteed. The 35 mill is no more than an avg not exactly per year. Seems your whole presumption is based on his failure

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of 4 years with a front loaded deal. Yeah your paying him way more than he's worth for 2 years. However if he is below average its alot easier to cut him after 2 years in that scenario. If he's great then when he's in his 30's you have to pay him again, but then that also means you know for a fact he was your franchise guy.

VACowboy

Reaction score

We're not talking about the difference between 8 and 12 million. We're talking about the difference between 47 and 51. Dak was the 77th highest paid QB over the last four years because he was drafted in the fourth round and the CBA dictated his money. He played a lot better than that and has been offered the richest contract in league history as a result. I think the mess that this whole thing has become can be blamed on stupid stubbornness on both sides, but the idea that Dak is refusing to sign because he deserves $4m more next time on the total of a $47m+ a year deal in compensation for outplaying his rookie contract seems kind of silly to me. You're right though. I don't know what it's like to quibble over four-million dollars.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

He may also want unicorns and lollipops but he can't get that either.

What Dak earned to date is meaningless at this point. He doesn't get extra because he outplayed his contract, he gets what the market dictates and the market dictates that he should be signing a 5 year deal (at least) for roughly the same money as Wentz/Goff.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
He may also want unicorns and lollipops but he can't get that either.

What Dak earned to date is meaningless at this point. He doesn't get extra because he outplayed his contract, he gets what the market dictates and the market dictates that he should be signing a 5 year deal (at least) for roughly the same money as Wentz/Goff.

It is not meaningless as it informs his decision moving forward. You guys keep talking about why Dak was the 77th highest paid QB or if that was justified. Those questions or answers are Irrelevant. The point is that it happened.

That is why Dak Prescott should get not a single penny below market rate. Listen carefully, I didn't say he should or deserves or is entitled to more money above market value. This is business. From both sides. This isn't charity. On BOTH sides.

So stop asking Dak to take team friendly deals. And Dak should not ask the Cowboys for a Dak friendly deal either.

However, if market rate dictates Dak is worth $100 over 5 years 6 months 15 days 12 hours and 30 seconds. Dak is should not sign for a penny less than $100 and not a second over 5 years 6 months 15 days 12 hours and 30 seconds.

Not because the Cowboys owe him anything extra. The Cowboys don't. But because he damn sure don't owe the Cowboys anything extra.