Dak Prescott contract details and cap ramifications

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Sobering truth...but truth.

Wish fans here...some highly popular posters...could better understand the reality and see the wisdom of Bilichik's praise of the Cowboys team building.

That said...a big caveat...I'm very much uncertain if Dak's extension will be a wise gamble. Top 8 QB for certain, but such huge consequences to extend.

The alternative to the Dak signing would have been two or three years (at least) in the QB wilderness and I suspect Jerry at his age wasn't willing to stomach that.
+100. I strongly suspect Dallas is going to kick the can down the road on a rebuild until Jerry's health falters.

Will be interesting to see what happens with coaching for the same reasoning. That's the lever Jerry has open to play with. I highly doubt he takes a chance on some young guy based on reputation or a great interview. IMO, the coach next year will be McCarthy (if he wins playoff games), Zimmer or Belichik.

dstew60105

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848

Cap hit by year:
2024: $45m
2025: $90m
2026: $68m
2027: $62m
2028: $72m
2029: $1.4m (VOID)

First off, I'm glad to see that Dallas didn't handicap themselves in the long term with some massive void year money. The 2025 number has a big chunk of guaranteed salary that could be converted to bonus, making the other numbers bigger.

Even with CeeDee and Dak's deal, Dallas still has $29m in capspace in 2025. Obviously Micah will need to get extended.

The $90m second year cap hit is weird and intentional. When you go through Dallas' cap numbers, they have a ton of guys still on rookie deals in 2025. It sure looks to me like Jerry and Stephen are just trying to "eat" Dak's contract early and then let it be a more manageable hit later on when they need to extend guys like Tyler Smith.

Overall, Cowboys fans should expect the same pattern to continue into the future:
- No big money free agents
- Critical players coming off their rookie deals will be extended
- A fair number of players will walk because Dallas can't afford them
- The roster will be filled with draft picks and vet min free agents

The Dak contract structure doesn't stop any of that either positively (by freeing up room) or negatively (by being too large to swallow).

Other random comments: DLaw, Martin and Cooks are likely gone. Malik Hooker's deal sticks out as a cut candidate. Steele is tough to gauge. At his contract he is a value if he plays well but another year like last year will get him cut. Cowboys can afford Micah, just extend him fast instead of letting the market run up his value. Osa might be one of the young guys they are forced to let go.
They should extend both Dlaw and Martin(if he doesn’t retire) by a year or two. Team can afford it and it can be partially offset due to dead money already on the books for both players.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s great but how about letting those that want to discuss those matters on an open cowboy forum do it. You don’t like it fine don’t read it
Ditto,

oh I'll read it alright but then I'll look at you and read your stuff and I will come into this nice public forum that we're all allowed to say whatever we want within the rules and I'll question you and I'll say what I want!!! got it!!!!?!!

If you don't wanna be questioned or criticized you might be in the wrong place the Internet will call you out... And I'm saying money has no business being in the discussions or concerns for the fan base we don't assemble this team we watch games and we can debate games I mean you guys who already questioned the historically bad offseason said Jerry did nothing to improve his team and everyone who picked against the Cowboys in game one were all wrong so yeah we should listen to a bunch of Internet know it all G miss with big egos that think they should like get into the money thing when it's like coming out of their own bank account? LOL

NEXT

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s great but how about letting those that want to discuss those matters on an open cowboy forum do it. You don’t like it fine don’t read it
how about I'll reply to what I want how I want if you don't like me questioning your discussions you probably in the wrong place I just think it's a wasted effort because you guys don't know **** and that is a cuss word how about the cap that you think you do you can read all you want but managing the cap and spreading out contracts and doing all the void years and blah blah blah it has nothing to do with the fan base... but if it makes you feel better carry on...

Soth

Reaction score
Overall, Cowboys fans should expect the same pattern to continue into the future:
It almost seems like the Cowboys are always "cap poor". They can't spend on free agency, can't keep their own players because they can't afford them, etc. How do other teams manage to keep some players and also spend in free agency? It can't just be due to CD and Dak because it has been happening for a while. I just don't understand the strategy here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cap hit by year:

First off, I'm glad to see that Dallas didn't handicap themselves in the long term with some massive void year money. The 2025 number has a big chunk of guaranteed salary that could be converted to bonus, making the other numbers bigger.

Even with CeeDee and Dak's deal, Dallas still has $29m in capspace in 2025. Obviously Micah will need to get extended.

The $90m second year cap hit is weird and intentional. When you go through Dallas' cap numbers, they have a ton of guys still on rookie deals in 2025. It sure looks to me like Jerry and Stephen are just trying to "eat" Dak's contract early and then let it be a more manageable hit later on when they need to extend guys like Tyler Smith.

The Dak contract structure doesn't stop any of that either positively (by freeing up room) or negatively (by being too large to swallow).

Other random comments: DLaw, Martin and Cooks are likely gone. Malik Hooker's deal sticks out as a cut candidate. Steele is tough to gauge. At his contract he is a value if he plays well but another year like last year will get him cut. Cowboys can afford Micah, just extend him fast instead of letting the market run up his value. Osa might be one of the young guys they are forced to let go.
Appreciate the work you did here.

But one aspect of cap management that few fans seem to understand is that cap hits are almost never clear cut nor divided evenly over the years of the deal. Terance Steele‘s deal was just restructured as an example. DLaw and Zack Martin’s contracts have been restructured several times.

Bottom line: Look at how things are distributed between “signing bonus” (which is a way to lessen the overall cap hit) and the guaranteed amount after that. Most big NFL contracts like Dak’s are never just equally paid yearly over the life of the deal. Dak’s contract will be restructured multiple times in the future.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Much of Dak's guaranteed money is not fully guaranteed at signing. Portions become guaranteed each year if he is on the roster at a certain date. This gives the team some flexibility both with the cap and with releasing Dak. It is similar to the Mahomes deal, just shorter.

It could have been a lot worse.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Much of Dak's guaranteed money is not fully guaranteed at signing. Portions become guaranteed each year if he is on the roster at a certain date. This gives the team some flexibility both with the cap and with releasing Dak. It is similar to the Mahomes deal, just shorter.

It could have been a lot worse.
Good stuff.

Agree.

Jerry did this on purpose.

They can escape the deal as early as 2026.

It gives them more time to develop Lance.

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
how about I'll reply to what I want how I want if you don't like me questioning your discussions you probably in the wrong place I just think it's a wasted effort because you guys don't know **** and that is a cuss word how about the cap that you think you do you can read all you want but managing the cap and spreading out contracts and doing all the void years and blah blah blah it has nothing to do with the fan base... but if it makes you feel better carry on...
Back to your usual blowhard tactics. No conversation just put people down which makes you the same as all those you fight with to keep your meager life moving forward. What happens when you run out of people to put down do you just shrivel and go away

blueblood70

Reaction score
Back to your usual blowhard tactics. No conversation just put people down which makes you the same as all those you fight with to keep your meager life moving forward. What happens when you run out of people to put down do you just shrivel and go away
ditto

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seems to me there is only one between the two of this that gets triggered and it ain’t me and why cause someone asked you to be polite wow just wow. And to give a chance at your next novel for a reply what is it I don’t know s*** about

blueblood70

Reaction score
Seems to me there is only one between the two of this that gets triggered and it ain’t me and why cause someone asked you to be polite wow just wow. And to give a chance at your next novel for a reply what is it I don’t know s*** about
sorry disagree!! move on find those butthurt pants today,,

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Cap hit by year:

Cowboys don’t care about free agency, and neither do I they are just high priced Primadonna. Build through the draft it’s working well.

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
Dak still gonna blow up the playoffs.

throwing GTD money at him still doesn’t change him.

hes Danny White.
Nah. Dak will get the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in my opinion. And Danny White was a good QB at a time when there were a lot of good NFC teams. 49ers, Bears, Giants, Commanders.