Dak Prescott doing contract negotiations the right way, showing what it means to be a Dallas Cowboy

Buzzbait

Reaction score
And added a year of wear and tear for about $4 million while risking injury. Instead he’s about to become probably the highest paid RB in the league.

Oh Okay, I was mistakenly under the impression he had signed a legal contract when he became a Cowboy. Not only that, but I suppose at the time that he signed that contract that's already made him a multimillionaire, he was unaware of the health risks in football?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And added a year of wear and tear for about $4 million while risking injury. Instead he’s about to become probably the highest paid RB in the league.
For about $4 million? You obviously forgot the other $4 million he received for this year alone when he signed his rookie contract back in 2016. So, in actuality, it's around $7.9 million Zeke is scheduled to get paid for this season, which is no chump change. He should have had his butt here in camp.

Last edited:

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
You're missing the point. The point is that Dak at least has made sure to be here working and training hard every day with his teammates while his agent continues to negotiate a new contract. That's the correct example to set, not holding out.
In most cases I would probably agree with you. But running backs picked in the first round are essentially locked in for five seasons (or more w the franchise tag) which for many at that position is the bulk of their prime. They don’t get the opportunity for that big second contract that most other positions can earn if they just play it out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh Okay, I was mistakenly under the impression he had signed a contract when he became a Cowboy. Not only that, but I suppose at the time that he signed that contract that's already made him a multimillionaire, he was unaware of the health risks in football?
Exactly. All players take the risk of injury just playing this game of football. It's sad the excuses some posters will go to defend their player of liking.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Oh Okay, I was mistakenly under the impression he had signed a legal contract when he became a Cowboy. Not only that, but I suppose at the time that he signed that contract that's already made him a multimillionaire, he was unaware of the health risks in football?
He’s simply playing the only card he can with the system he’s in. Can’t fault a guy for trying to maximize his earnings. I’m a capitalist at heart.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In most cases I would probably agree with you. But running backs picked in the first round are essentially locked in for five seasons (or more w the franchise tag) which for many at that position is the bulk of their prime. They don’t get the opportunity for that big second contract that most other positions can earn if they just play it out.
Zeke has 2 years left on his current contract. He should have waited until a year from now to negotiate a new contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Truth be told I don’t particularly like Zeke. I just understand why he’s holding out and agree it’s in his best interests.
How is holding out with 2 years left on your rookie deal actually in his best interest? Jerry can simply fine him for every game he misses. The team will still go on, and Zeke will be wasting time getting fined while not accruing another year served. The Cowboys will still own his rights for at least 2 more years if Zeke holds out for more than 10 games

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
How is holding out with 2 years left on your rookie deal actually in his best interest? Jerry can simply fine him for every game he misses. The team will still go on, and Zeke will be wasting time getting fined while not accruing another year served. The Cowboys will still own his rights for at least 2 more years if Zeke holds out for more than 10 games
He’s already received an offer that puts him in the Bell-Gurley stratosphere. And he’ll get more when it’s all said and done. Which will have made his holdout worth it and definitely in his best interests

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He’s already received an offer that puts him in the Bell-Gurley stratosphere. And he’ll get more when it’s all said and done. Which will have made his holdout worth it and definitely in his best interests
Zeke is wanting at least 20% higher pay than Gurley is getting per year (roughly $15 million). That makes Zeke's demand at $18 million per year. There is no way Jerry and Stephen would agree to such demands. They already verified they will not be handing out top positional pay to any of their players, so that leaves Zeke SOOL.

So, once again, how is Zeke holding out and demanding such ridiculous pay actually in his best interest? Sounds like he's setting himself up to get traded to a lesser team with a sucky Oline. Good luck with that.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Zeke is wanting at least 20% higher pay than Gurley is getting per year (roughly $15 million). That makes Zeke's demand at $18 million per year. There is no way Jerry and Stephen would agree to such demands. They already verified they will not be handing out top positional pay to any of their players, so that leaves Zeke SOOL.

So, once again, how is Zeke holding out and demanding such ridiculous pay actually in his best interest? Sounds like he's setting himself up to get traded to a lesser team with a sucky Oline. Good luck with that.
You know what Zeke is asking for just because he liked one tweet? I’m not going to repeat myself. I’ve plainly laid out why it’s in his best interests, I’m sorry you don’t agree. He’s already been offered top 2 back money. Which is better than he was slated to make.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He’s simply playing the only card he can with the system he’s in.
Can’t fault a guy for trying to maximize his earnings. I’m a capitalist at heart.

I agree, I don't fault a guy for trying to maximize his earnings and like you, I'm a capitalist at heart as well.
Nevertheless, when you sign your name to a contract expecting the other party to live up to THEIR end of the bargain, you should be man enough to live up to YOUR end of the bargain as well.

If you hire a man to build a pool in your back yard and when he gets the job half done he stops, flies to Cabo and says "I'll finish the job when you pay me more money than we agreed upon"...……..yeah but, but,...….

You see as long as it's someone else's money, it's easy to make excuses to justify breaking the rules. But when it's our money on the line, all of a sudden that contract becomes a lot more important.
Funny how that works.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m failing to see the logic in delineating between 2 years left and one year left. Just another year older and 400 more touches on the odometer
well if your going to use that logic, why not just hold out after 2016? why not last year?
Maybe all players should start holding out for more money after their first year if they do good?
Their are many players in nfl more deserving of a raise or new contract than elliot, but they all are playing out the contract they signed.

Most people think he should honor the contract he signed, instead of whining about being under paid.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You know what Zeke is asking for just because he liked one tweet? I’m not going to repeat myself. I’ve plainly laid out why it’s in his best interests, I’m sorry you don’t agree.
He’s already been offered top 2 back money. Which is better than he was slated to make.

Yes and he's already turned his nose up at it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott doing contract negotiations the right way

by Joel Deering

While Ezekiel Elliott holds out for a new contract, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott continues to show up, work hard and prove he’s a team player.

As the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, Prescott knows he’s going to get his money. It really comes down to a matter of when he gets it. But that’s not the reason he’s showing up to Cowboys camp every day. Prescott has been there for his team from the very beginning, because he actually wants to be a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

(continue)

https://nflmocks.com/2019/08/26/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-contract-negotiations-right-way/

This is the last paragraph of this article which makes me wonder how much $ was paid to the reporter by Dak's agency?

Quote) As a Dallas Cowboys fan, all I can do is hope Elliott follows in the footsteps of his dedicated leader, Dak Prescott, and finally realizes there’s more to the game than himself and money. (Quote)

Yes Zeke should sacrifice his career and monies to keep carrying our offense on his back for Leader Dak who is unable to with his arm.
Hey Joel reporter extraordinaire Dak is there cause quite frankly he ain't got nowhere else to go as demand for his services is zilch compared to Zeke.
Zeke don't play STUPID and deserves every dollar he signs for!

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I agree, I don't fault a guy for trying to maximize his earnings and like you, I'm a capitalist at heart as well.
Nevertheless, when you sign your name to a contract expecting the other party to live up to THEIR end of the bargain, you should be man enough to live up to YOUR end of the bargain as well.

If you hire a man to build a pool in your back yard and when he gets the job half done he stops, flies to Cabo and says "I'll finish the job when you pay me more money than we agreed upon"...….

You see as long as it's someone else's money, it's easy to make excuses to justify breaking the rules. But when it's our money on the line, all of a sudden that contract becomes a lot more important.
Funny how that works.
Let’s not pretend the NFL is anything like the rest of the private sector. There is no other league Zeke could play in when he came out of college. He was pegged into a salary slot based on the CBA in a league with an antitrust exemption. The system is what it is and players don’t hold many cards, so you have to pick and choose your battles. As a first round pick who plays running back and has won two rushing titles in three years Zeke is picking this battle to set up his career earnings and I cannot blame him one bit

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
well if your going to use that logic, why not just hold out after 2016? why not last year?
Maybe all players should start holding out for more money after their first year if they do good?
Their are many players in nfl more deserving of a raise or new contract than elliot, but they all are playing out the contract they signed.

Most people think he should honor the contract he signed, instead of whining about being under paid.
I’ve already stated that running backs are outliers in this system.

And I haven’t heard him whining, have you?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You're missing the point. The point is that Dak at least has made sure to be here working and training hard every day with his teammates while his agent continues to negotiate a new contract. That's the correct example to set, not holding out.
That is why Dak is getting all the endorsements, and EE is not .
I noticed Dak has replaced witten in the Albertson ads, which run quite a bit in the local area.

Advertisers dont trust EE to stay out of trouble, and his image is tarnished by his own actions, and that has cost EE a lot of money.
It may even affect him as far as being a sports commentator after his football days are over.

So he has a tarnished image as a immature party boy who makes a lot of bad decisions, had more carries than any rb last year, but has set no
records that I know of, disappeared in the ram game with what 40 yards total, but boasts he is the best rb in nfl, and deserves to be paid more
than any other RB has ever been paid! :laugh::thumbdown: the guy is a head case.