Dak Prescott first year quarterback

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simply because that's my opinion. I think it takes three years before you can really see what you have in a draft pick no matter where you're drafted. I think most people will agree with that. On average absolutely. How many quarterbacks that people thought would be way better already lost their careers being drafted in the first round second round. And Prescott is still here. Getting better every season. I still don't think you want to see the point and that's cool

I don't disagree that it takes time to know with draft picks, but that's a different point than saying he should have been sitting and learning for 3 years, or that this should be viewed as his first year, or that Dak was deprived of a learning period other QBs got.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
On-the-job training is over my cowboy family, no more excuses for this young man. I believe college is the new NFL training camp. You no longer have time to sit on the bench and learn behind veterans. Salary-cap dictates this. He was thrown into the fire. and so far he has succeeded , passed all my expectations. Now it's about reading defenses instinctively, knowing what you're going to do before you do it. I love that he's betting on himself before he gets paid. Go Cowboys looking forward to a great season

With Moore, the health of the line, the quality of the pass catchers, and being in his 4th year, he should take that next big step.

bodi

Reaction score
Yes we know it's his fourth year. But it's truly his first year because he should have been on the bench for three seasons . How many first-round quarterbacks were thrown Into the Fire like Prescott and they're already out of the league I don't count the first 3 Seasons I call that on the job training

so Darnold - Mayfield - Geoff - Ryan - Flacco - Stafford - Newton - Dalton - Wilson - Carr - Winston - Mariota - Wentz - Roethlisberger - Peyton Manning - Eli Manning - Cutler - Brees - Brady are no good they all started their first year

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
so Darnold - Mayfield - Geoff - Ryan - Flacco - Stafford - Newton - Dalton - Wilson - Carr - Winston - Mariota - Wentz - Roethlisberger - Eli Manning - Cutler - Brees - Brady are no good
I don't know what your agenda is. But you're all over the place. I also believe you have a reading comprehension issue. I didn't say how many made it in the league I said how many didn't. Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, showers, and that's just a few just on the Cowboys. Must be at least another dozen of so in the rest of the league. LMAO

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak was rated #1 among all QBs for "tight window" throws at the end of the 2017 season. Yes, the same 9-7 disastrous season where the Cowboys missed the playoffs by 1 game. To be ranked #1 in "tight window" throws, you definitely must be able to see the target, judge where the target will be on a given route and ultimately hit the receiver where only he can make the catch, especially against tight coverage, hence the term "tight window" throws, right? The video shows several of those throws. A few definitely look like Dak was throwing the receiver open.

This next video (created in November of 2018) shows 1 particular pass play. It actually shows Dak has good anticipation of where his receiver is going to be and how Dak times the throw perfectly. His problem was not anticipation, but instead, it's Dak's previous "hopping" stance footwork he's done as he is about to release the football pass during the past several seasons.

It's so important that Jon Kitna is now the QBs coach and has actually corrected and improved Dak's footwork in the pocket as he drops back to pass. This should help Dak take his passing game to an even higher level.

Lastly, this highlight film of Dak's 2018 season shows Dak's progress, especially as the season went on. There are some "anticipation" throws and where Dak does throw his WR open.

This year should be Dak's best so far. The coaching, playcalls, talent and signs are there to see him play his best season yet.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what your agenda is. But you're all over the place. But to answer your question Carson Wentz sucks and Jared Goff can't read a defense to save his life. Maybe he'll he better this season also. You don't even know the names of people that already failed. Anybody can name Stars. RG3 is the first one that comes to mind to that the Bill's taken to that Denver has taken. Come on don't be so tunnel-visioned . There's more than a handful of quarterbacks that have already failed trying to pull off what this franchise is doing with Prescott. Again you have a strange agenda

Of course, the thing we cannot know is of the one's that became starters early in their careers (or from day 1) and failed, how many just didn't have what it takes all along, and it wouldn't have mattered if they had been able to sit and learn for several years.

I'm sure that applies to some, and I'm sure some just weren't prepared to jump in the fire and would have had a better chance with the opportunity to sit for a few years. I've wondered about that with David Carr, who had to be shell shocked after getting sacked an unbelievable 76 times as a rookie.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Game experience is everything.
You can never compare sitting and waiting (and getting almost no practice reps either) to playing actual games.
Thats nonsense.

This is his 4th year
Period

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of course, the thing we cannot know is of the one's that became starters early in their careers (or from day 1) and failed, how many just didn't have what it takes all along, and it wouldn't have mattered if they had been able to sit and learn for several years.

I'm sure that applies to some, and I'm sure some just weren't prepared to jump in the fire and would have had a better chance with the opportunity to sit for a few years. I've wondered about that with David Carr, who had to be shell shocked after getting sacked an unbelievable 76 times as a rookie.
Do you think it's not better to sit and learn. I guess that's the real question. Even though that still may not help some like you said. But as far as reading a defense experience is priceless. Jared Goff Dak Prescott. Would both had benefited in that regards

bodi

Reaction score
I don't know what your agenda is. But you're all over the place. I also believe you have a reading comprehension issue. I didn't say how many made it in the league I said how many didn't.

just stating facts

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Game experience is everything.
You can never compare sitting and waiting (and getting almost no practice reps either) to playing actual games.
Thats nonsense.

This is his 4th year
Period
I understand but it's still not the point I was trying to convey. For me this is the season the tell-all. What have you learned from that game experience how much confidence can you release the ball quicker.

bodi

Reaction score
My expectations were truly not that high, a fourth-round draft pick sometimes we forget that Throw the receiver open. It's almost like a Hail Mary. But that's what he did last game to Gallup. I rather see him hit him in stride. It's coming

thafs his main flaw

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
just stating facts
You didn't State one fact according to what was posted. How many players are out of the league trying to do what Prescott is doing. Post those facts.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Most of the young QB's that came into the league and had immediate sustained success, were on teams with a good defense and or a good rushing attack. Meaning that young QB didn't have to do too much. Brady, Wilson, Mahomes, Roethlisberger, and Dak come to mind.

As far as a young QBs' stats go in his first three years...let's just say most of these guys are on a level playing field. Meaning there is little difference between Brees' stats and Winston's stats. So the first three years of stats are pretty meaningless generally, because the greats don't start vastly separating themselves from the pack until year four.

Remember the Chargers giving a still young Drew Brees the boot for Phillp Rivers. I wonder if they had a chance to do that again would they make the same decision?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think it's not better to sit and learn. I guess that's the real question. Even though that still may not help some like you said. But as far as reading a defense experience is priceless. Jared Goff Dak Prescott. Would both had benefited in that regards

I do agree QBs would benefit from sitting and learning, although there is a limit to how much a QB can learn to read defenses from the bench. The biggest improvements in that area come from being on the field and having to make decisions based on what an opponent with a game plan is doing.

I remember Parcells talking about Romo, and why he waited to give him the opportunity to play, and he said he thinks he would have done more harm than good by throwing Romo to the dogs too soon. Ultimately, I think it is unfortunate that QB's so rarely get the chance to sit and learn before being thrown into the fire these days, but that's not the reality of today's NFL. And, of course, as you alluded to in the OP, QB's entering the NFL are more prepared than QBs entering the NFL 30 years ago because college football is a better training ground now than then. To expand on that thought, there are a lot more schools that have big time programs now than then, and few programs that have a run based offense. There certainly aren't teams running the Wishbone anymore.