Dak Prescott "Garbage time stats" Question

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I have noticed a common theme here when it comes to Dak. There are 2 sides of the fence. Those that like him and see that he can lead this team to a Super Bowl. And those that dont like him, no matter how he performs for whatever their reasons are.

Now with that being said. My question hinges on certain statements I have seen on this board about his "garbage time stats".

Now people like to say he pads his stats etc. But the same people then sit there and say he threw a game ending pick to seal the win for the other team.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, but if he is just padding his stats in garbage time. How is he throwing a game ending pick? I mean the game is already over in your eyes. It cant be both. So either he is getting garbage time stats and padding his resume, or he is playing to win and throwing a game ending pick. Pick one. It cant be both.
As I indicated in one of my posts, Dak is like RACE HORSE who breaks bad out the gate, at quarter pole he's dead last, at the 1/2 mile pole he's gaining on the leader. When he hits the 3/4 pole he MAKING HIS MOVE. Down the stretch dak is almost even, he's digging hard and get's beat at the wire by a head. Dak is an Allowance Claimer going up against Grade Stakes winners. He's the middle of the pack QB who won't be sniffing a Super Bowl anytime soon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not one game ending pick, but back to back game ending picks...just for clarification
Trolls like this one and the rest of the Dak haters wouldn’t know what a good QB was even if Staubach showed up at their trailer. Most of them hate on everything. They’re just miserable people and want others to join their pity party.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
All I have to say on this is that Dak was once called "dink and Dak". Now, he's breaking team and NFL records with "empty calories". Which one is it? Dinking and dunking or record breaking empty calories? Either way, we're still an 8-8 team, at best.
Jameis Winston was breaking records last year. People need to stop being so fixated by total yards thrown. The 2019 vs 2020 Bucs show that

Lots of things show that
Ive been seeing games where qbs through for 400 or 500 yards in losing efforts going back to the 70s

Im not saying its only won-loss thats the only bottom line but I am also pointing out that total yards thrown is a shiny red ball that impress people too much

Qcard

Reaction score
Cowboys come from behind, get onside kick, beat Atlanta = not garbage time
Cowboys come back from 15 down, go ahead of Seattle with under 5 minutes left, defense blows it = garbage time
Cowboys come from 27 down to within 3 points of Cleveland with three minutes left, force a punt and Cowboys win by 4 = not garbage time
Cowboys come from 27 down to within 3 points, poorly executed squib kick, defense gives up a 50 yard TD = garbage time.

It's agenda-driven, foolish, and lazy to call it garbage time when the game is brought back to a winnable position and the defense/special teams blow it. I'll demonstrate a non-Dak example:

Mahomes led KC to 21 fourth quarter points in the SB, coming from 10 points down to win. If the Chiefs defense lets San Fran keep scoring TDs guess what? Mahomes 3 TDs are garbage time in a 41-31 defeat.

But since the defense shutout SF in the 4th Mahomes leads a great comeback win, 31-20 - not garbage time.
Sir you can't fix stupid.

Dak Haters are Duplicitous.

They've run out of Football stuff like Dink and Dak or Can't read a Defense. Now they are using "Eye TEST Mafia" stuff like "Big Throws" or "Garbage stats". These are imaginary metrics that can't be quantified or sound smart

Great Post

Playmaker247

Reaction score
And did what in the 2nd and 3rd? A game is more than just the 1st and 4th quarter.
I don’t think you understand how scoring works in the nfl. Offense can go quarters without scoring it happens. If everyone scored 14 points every quarter every team would average 50. The reality is the best offenses score around 30 a game. Which means for you people bad at math, about 7 a quarter. So stay with me here the math gets kinda complicated, if you score 14 in the first, chances are you probably won’t score in the 2nd just based off averages, and so on. If you have a quarter when you score 14+ chances are there’s gonna be another quarter or 2 where you barely score. This isn’t a hard concept. So the point is looking at quarter by quarter break down at scoring is stupid because it really doesn’t matter. The total score matters because there’s 4 quarters.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Dak threw for almost 300 yards in the fourth quarter against a prevent defense after being down 41-14. He almost threw 8 interceptions.

Sunday wasn't his fault by a long shot, but he padded his numbers massively.
So bringing the game within 3 points with 4 mins left is padding numbers? That’s a very winnable game

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Call it what you want...Garbage, game was over, whatever....but then call the 50 yard reverse i saw the browns score on after our GARBAGE TIME offense erase a 3 td deficit.....its funny no one brings up the fact that the defense only stops teams when they are trying to run the clock out...as soon as it was a game again POOF score at will...

GARBAGE TIME may me hyperbolic, however QBR is used for this very eventuality, taking into account the game conditions under which the QB performs and opposition.

Despite throwing 364 more yards than any other QB, Dak is only 8th best by QBR, which does indicate that the yards are obtained against opposition and during game time which isnt optimum to effecting the score.

This is posted to temper some of the Dak supporters than laud his performance based on yards alone.

The bottom line is that without a Defense and with Dak being paid top rate on a 3 year contract this team is going nowhere.

erod

Reaction score
So bringing the game within 3 points with 4 mins left is padding numbers? That’s a very winnable game
Completely padding numbers.

Cleveland went full prevent defense stupid. Because they're Cleveland. Just gave yards away to chew clock.

41-14 is over against any team that's not brain dead.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Jameis Winston was breaking records last year. People need to stop being so fixated by total yards thrown. The 2019 vs 2020 Bucs show that

Lots of things show that
Ive been seeing games where qbs through for 400 or 500 yards in losing efforts going back to the 70s

Im not saying its only won-loss thats the only bottom line but I am also pointing out that total yards thrown is a shiny red ball that impress people too much

You missed the point completely, but imma let you keep hatin.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Completely padding numbers.

Cleveland went full prevent defense stupid. Because they're Cleveland. Just gave yards away to chew clock.

41-14 is over against any team that's not brain dead.
Yeah 27-3 and 26-3 leads in the 2nd half should be gimmes too but the Cowboys found ways to be brain dead and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Throwing the ball instead of running, especially throwing interceptions gave those games away. So teams are stupid enough to lose them.