News: Dak Prescott named Offensive Rookie of the Month for November

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Well deserved.

ETA: Didn't we have a chance to draft Spence in lieu of Jaylon Smith in the 2nd round? Yikes, I'm rose-colored Smith fan but we could really use a Spence-type pass rusher now.
Jaylon Smith is way better.......we are on a 10 game win streak

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
Dak should have been Offensive Player of the Month, not just for rookies. He beat Kirt Cousins head-to-head in a critical game, yet Cousins gets the award. That I don't understand. I thought the most important stat for QB's is leading your team to victory.

Because its offensive player of the month, not offensive player for a game

Kirk put up near identical stats to Dak in one fewer game.

He beats a vikings team thats only allowing 17 points per game and is 3rd in the NFL in total defense while putting up a passer rating of 110 and a QBR of 87.

He beat a Green Bay team with swirling winds posting a QBR of 95 and a rating of 145, out dueling the "best quarterback" in the NFL.

Then on a short week puts up another near 500 yard game with a QBR of 87 and rating of 120.

He was the best player of the month.

You could make a case for Dak, yes, but lets not act like Cousins didnt put up absolutely devastating numbers in 3 games on short rest. He balled his *** off.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh, what does that have to do with this thread? lol
It has nothing to do with the thread. Craig was commenting about an earlier post within the thread--which also had nothing to do with the thread (even though Craig made a good point). Same goes for commenting about players the team didn't draft, etc. Typical CowboysZone stuff. :p

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Pretty cool!

I know Dak is FEATURED on the
"DRUDGE REPORT" once again!
by my recollection this is the 3rd time in a little over a month,, ,,, ,,

Yea TEAM.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

He beats a vikings team thats only allowing 17 points per game and is 3rd in the NFL in total defense while putting up a passer rating of 110 and a QBR of 87.

He beat a Green Bay team with swirling winds posting a QBR of 95 and a rating of 145, out dueling the "best quarterback" in the NFL.

Then on a short week puts up another near 500 yard game with a QBR of 87 and rating of 120.

You could make a case for Dak, yes, but lets not act like Cousins didnt put up absolutely devastating numbers in 3 games on short rest. He balled his *** off.
Bout time he started coming around. Isn't this like his 3rd or 4th season?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the thread. Craig was commenting about an earlier post within the thread--which also had nothing to do with the thread (even though Craig made a good point). Same goes for commenting about players the team didn't draft, etc. Typical CowboysZone stuff. :p
:laugh: Ah, ok. makes sense.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
Bout time he started coming around. Isn't this like his 3rd or 4th season?
Yea but only his second as starter..Before that, it was spot duty as 2nd or third string quarterback. Last year was his first time heading into the seasons as the undisputed starter.

2012 - Backup to RG3, played in 3 games
2013 - Backup to RG3, played in 5 games
2014 - Backup to RG3, RG3 gets hurt early and he takes over for the next 6 games before being benched
2015 - undisputed starter
2016 - Undisputed starter

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Dude, I don't disagree that Cousins deserved the award but don't act like it was a big thing beating Green Bay. That defense played about as bad as a defense could possibly play against you guys. Call it "outdueling" Rogers if you wish but with that horrible defense on his side, he didn't stand a chance.

And both Green Bay and Dallas had serious injury issues in the secondary (particularly GB). With the amount of passing Gruden does, Cousins should have put up huge numbers in those games.

Having said all of that, I do like Cousins as a QB and said since the 2013 season that I'd start him over Griffin any day. So, I'm not belittling Kirk... just saying that there were some extenuating circumstances surrounding his big numbers in November.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nice time for them to draw that line in the sand. Oy.
Well, after the Hardy debacle, we all knew they were going to shy away from character issues.

Right or wrong, they placed a lot of blame on 2015's 4-12 record on a deterioration of the locker room chemistry. I knew they were going to go full blast on getting that straightened out.

Frankly, I think they put too much blame on it and a guy like Spence might have been a better choice... but what do I know?

Reaction score

You can have your player awards.

I'll take the win.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dak should have been Offensive Player of the Month, not just for rookies. He beat Kirt Cousins head-to-head in a critical game, yet Cousins gets the award. That I don't understand. I thought the most important stat for QB's is leading your team to victory.
You can't blame Cousins for that loss, but if you only count the offensive players that played all four games in the month of November, Dak and Zeke played the best -- not just out of rookies but of all offensive players.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
Dude, I don't disagree that Cousins deserved the award but don't act like it was a big thing beating Green Bay. That defense played about as bad as a defense could possibly play against you guys. Call it "outdueling" Rogers if you wish but with that horrible defense on his side, he didn't stand a chance.

And both Green Bay and Dallas had serious injury issues in the secondary (particularly GB). With the amount of passing Gruden does, Cousins should have put up huge numbers in those games.

Having said all of that, I do like Cousins as a QB and said since the 2013 season that I'd start him over Griffin any day. So, I'm not belittling Kirk... just saying that there were some extenuating circumstances surrounding his big numbers in November.

True, but its more of the wind that was the big issue in the Greenbay game. You hear it all the time for NFL quarterbacks...Give me snow, give me rain, give me sleet...Just do give me strong winds.

Cousins was throwing the ball around in that wind like it was nothing.

Maybe wind factor isnt a big deal, but the way quarterbacks talk about it, you would think wind is the worst thing in the world. But ave 18 yards per completion against ANY defense in the NFL is phenomenal.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
True, but its more of the wind that was the big issue in the Greenbay game. You hear it all the time for NFL quarterbacks...Give me snow, give me rain, give me sleet...Just do give me strong winds.

Cousins was throwing the ball around in that wind like it was nothing.

Maybe wind factor isnt a big deal, but the way quarterbacks talk about it, you would think wind is the worst thing in the world. But ave 18 yards per completion against ANY defense in the NFL is phenomenal.
Yeah, the wind was a ***** that night for both teams.

JJHLH1

Reaction score

Cousins was 2-1 in November. Dak was 4-0 including a win over Cousins' team. So Dak clearly had the better month. I think the most important stat for any QB is leading your team to victory. I have no doubt Cousins would trade his award in a heartbeat in exchange for a win against the Cowboys.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
Cousins was 2-1 in November. Dak was 4-0 including a win over Cousins' team. So Dak clearly had the better month. I think the most important stat for any QB is leading your team to victory. I have no doubt Cousins would trade his award in a heartbeat in exchange for a win against the Cowboys.

That logic makes no sense. If a running back puts up massive yards during the month but his team only wins one game during that time and he wins offensive player of the month, would it be an issue then?

Wins and losses are a team accomplishment. Quarterbacks get way too much credit for winning and way too much blame for losing.

It's called "OFFENSIVE PLAYER" of the month, not Player who won the most games of the month.

Last edited:

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Well-deserved. Now it's a new month. Let's do it again in December, Dak!

JJHLH1

Reaction score
That logic makes no sense. If a running back puts up massive yards during the month but his team only wins one game during that time and he wins offensive player of the month, would it be an issue then?

Wins and losses are a team accomplishment. Quarterbacks get way too much credit for winning and way too much blame for losing.

It's called "OFFENSIVE PLAYER" of the month, not Player who won the most games of the month.

Dak had a higher QB rating than Cousins in Nov: 124.4 to 123.4. Statistically they were very close, and both were outstanding. Most importantly Dak led his team to a perfect record including a win over the Commanders. Yes, I think winning should be a factor in who recieves these awards. If the player's stats are close I'd give it to the one who helped his team win more games.