Dak Prescott question looms large

ondaedg

Reaction score
Dak is more than good enough to win, though I will say that none of those QBs won while taking a large chunk of the cap. Dak will have to perform at a high level to justify his contract and to take money away from other positions, but I think he showed he can do that this year.

From a pure passer perspective I agree with you. Dak has other intangibles which is why his asking price is high. His size, mobility, ability to take punishment and his age are major factors contributing to the big price tag.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
If Dak's contract demands are as high now as they were last season then the only smart choice is to tag him and find someone to replace him. Dak is a good QB but he is not worthy of being one of the highest paid QB's in the league. We beat up on weak teams last year and couldn't do much of anything (outside the Rams) against teams with winning records (and sometimes teams with losing records). It's not like when we had Romo and we scoring 30+ points a game and would lose because the defense let us down. They did their job in games like the Saints and Patriots and the offense could do nothing. If Dak wants to sign a sensible contract then I'm all for it. Best case scenario is he improves this coming season to the point I can say he is worth a top contract.

dckid

Reaction score
You get two 1st round picks from the non exclusive franchise tag. The transition tag gives you nothing in return. The Cowboys just have the option to match. But that's an option if he's asking for top dollar.
Thanks for the correction, i had forgotten which tag provided what benefit.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You haters sound really silly with you Dak comments. Either you're just trolling or you'd know there has been MUCH worse QB's through here than Dak. I'm looking forward to seeing how McCarthy can improve Dak's game. This is a time of optimism not negatism. Have you already forgotten in a week what a decade long mess we just got out of?
No, I have not forgotten the anchor has been taken off our neck! We have hope next year! YES!!!!! With Garrett there was not hope.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Now that we can finally purge the organization for Jason Garrett's stench the biggest question that remains is what do we do with Dak?
Clearly he is not a top 5 QB, and that is ok with me, but I also cannot pay him as such even though him and his agent demand that be the case.

I also don't believe Jerry is willing to really consider an alternative. I am good with using the Franchise tag if Jerry goes out and makes another move at QB. I would not want to waste 30 million on one year if we end up signing him next off season to an even larger contract. The whole kick the can down the road with QB contracts does not seem like a prudent philosophy.

1) We bit the bullet and sign him to a Wentz type contract and move on. Do we think the Front office can find another QB? Can we find another Dak/ Minshew?

2) Franchise Dak? What does that buy us? Is it to find out if we he is the long term solution?

3) Move on from Dak right now. What options do we have?
Keenum/ Rivers/ T.Hill, Winston, Mariotta. How much do we trust our infrastructure to develop an existing qb?

Actually, that's not question at all. The ONLY people that have that question is people that don't get it. Dak is the future and paying him will absolutely happen. Not a chance Jerry lets him walk and as well he shouldn't. No doubt McCarthy coming here, Dak was one of the biggest reasons he chose Dallas.

The ONLY question is how do we handle the negotiations and how much do we pay him. Pretty simple actually. If his agent demands too much then you simply transition or franchise tag him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Now that we can finally purge the organization for Jason Garrett's stench the biggest question that remains is what do we do with Dak?
Clearly he is not a top 5 QB, and that is ok with me, but I also cannot pay him as such even though him and his agent demand that be the case.

I also don't believe Jerry is willing to really consider an alternative. I am good with using the Franchise tag if Jerry goes out and makes another move at QB. I would not want to waste 30 million on one year if we end up signing him next off season to an even larger contract. The whole kick the can down the road with QB contracts does not seem like a prudent philosophy.

1) We bit the bullet and sign him to a Wentz type contract and move on. Do we think the Front office can find another QB? Can we find another Dak/ Minshew?

2) Franchise Dak? What does that buy us? Is it to find out if we he is the long term solution?

3) Move on from Dak right now. What options do we have?
Keenum/ Rivers/ T.Hill, Winston, Mariotta. How much do we trust our infrastructure to develop an existing qb?
Dak will be just fine now,, now that he has a reliable staff.
We stole Dak in the 4th round and you don't hit on potential anything much less potential Franchise Quarterbacks in the 4th round.
We hit on Dak, and I know there are many haters, I criticize Dak as well, mainly for his inaccuracy, constantly throwing late it seems to the average eye, constantly throwing behind
his intended receiver, I get that, I see that just like the rest of you see that.
That doesn't change Daks ability one bit I tell you, now.
With a brand new staff, a very cerebral staff I believe,, can they improve Dak?
I think so, because Dak has improved on himself with garbage leadership, substandard coaching, …. Romo had to figure that part of his career out all on his own with JG.
I see Dak being a steal in the 4th, pay the man, just get the deal done already, and I guarantee you its coming because Mike wouldn't be coming here if it wasn't set in stone, that Dak is going to be your QB and are you good with that, and Mike said hell yes.
Dak has the potential to a very good QB in this league, and the staff hires are off the books, Im happy, Ive been a student of this franchise and the league for quite some time.
All is forgiven if 2020 works,, my eyes are telling me that it will.

Flamma

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, i had forgotten which tag provided what benefit.

Lets be realistic. Do you think a team is going to give up two first rounders for Dak? Who would that team be? Teams like Cinci are going to take one in the draft. So a franchise tag is pointless IMO. If Dallas isn't going to sign him then a transition tag would be best. Like I said, if he's asking for top end money, Dallas doesn't have anything to lose with a transition tag. It's a lot cheaper too.

dckid

Reaction score
If Dak's contract demands are as high now as they were last season then the only smart choice is to tag him and find someone to replace him. Dak is a good QB but he is not worthy of being one of the highest paid QB's in the league. We beat up on weak teams last year and couldn't do much of anything (outside the Rams) against teams with winning records (and sometimes teams with losing records). It's not like when we had Romo and we scoring 30+ points a game and would lose because the defense let us down. They did their job in games like the Saints and Patriots and the offense could do nothing. If Dak wants to sign a sensible contract then I'm all for it. Best case scenario is he improves this coming season to the point I can say he is worth a top contract.
I wish someone would have this conversation with Dak, but knowing agents and a players Ego, this will never happen. He will demand 36 million per year average. I mean the 40 per year that was rumored this off season is most likely true.
The sad truth is, Mahomes is one year away from getting an extension and if we want Dak sign him NOW.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let Dak walk and you end up like the Commanders who’ll be picking in the top five because they they didn’t want to pay Cousins. Hope Washington is enjoying sitting home watching Cousins advance the Vikings in the playoffs. Miami moved on from Ryan Tannehill who was productive and now look at them. Hope they enjoyed watching Tannehill beat the Pats in the playoffs. The moral of this story is you don’t get rid of the young, productive QB and leave yourself with nothing at the position unless you’re looking for a high draft pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Any other team finds a franchise quarterback they lock him up. In his fourth season he throws for 30 TDs and 11 picks with 4900 yards......doing that while being the most inaccurate passer in the league according to fans. Anyone else did that at 26 years old you’d be trying to lock them up. Instead he has to try and prove he’s still a franchise QB. Insane.

dckid

Reaction score
Lets be realistic. Do you think a team is going to give up two first rounders for Dak? Who would that team be? Teams like Cinci are going to take one in the draft. So a franchise tag is pointless IMO. If Dallas isn't going to sign him then a transition tag would be best. Like I said, if he's asking for top end money, Dallas doesn't have anything to lose with a transition tag. It's a lot cheaper too.

You know I think you would be surprised. Teams would be lined up with sign Dak if he hit Free Agency. Remember what Cousins got? Dak is = or Greater than Cousins.
Chicago, Tampa, LAC, Raiders, possibly Colts... I mean who knows.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let Dak walk and you end up like the Commanders who’ll be picking in the top five because they they didn’t want to pay Cousins. Hope Washington is enjoying sitting home watching Cousins advance the Vikings in the playoffs. Miami moved on from Ryan Tannehill who was productive and now look at them. Hope they enjoyed watching Tannehill beat the Pats in the playoffs. The moral of this story is you don’t get rid of the young, productive QB and leave yourself with nothing at the position unless you’re looking for a high draft pick.
I use to argue with people on this site about Cousins.....I never understood the hate he got. When he had weapons he was pretty good. Then he was considered a bum because in his first year he didn’t light it up with the Vikings.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Any other team finds a franchise quarterback they lock him up. In his fourth season he throws for 30 TDs and 11 picks with 4900 yards......doing that while being the most inaccurate passer in the league according to fans. Anyone else did that at 26 years old you’d be trying to lock them up. Instead he has to try and prove he’s still a franchise QB. Insane.
Do you think there might be a reason for that? He passed for exactly 0 TD's against the Saints, 0 TD's against the freaking Jets, 0 TD's against the Patriots, 0 TD's against the Eagles in a win or go home game (the type of game people loved to crucify Romo over). But yeah, he really lit up those powerhouse teams like the Giants, Commanders, and Dolphins. He put up those great stats and lead us to 8-8 and sitting at home watching the play-offs.

And like I've said so many times, he can get the ball to the guy, his inaccuracies come more down to where he is delivering the ball. So many times he throws it a bit high, a bit low, a bit behind the guy even when they are wide open. So they can still make the catch, but that adjustment really hurts what they can do after the catch or, at worst, allows the DB to make a play on the ball when they really shouldn't have been able to. He really needs to improve there. Hopefully he can do that this off-season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I use to argue with people on this site about Cousins.....I never understood the hate he got. When he had weapons he was pretty good. Then he was considered a bum because in his first year he didn’t light it up with the Vikings.

Cousins put up great numbers in Washington and was clearly the best QB they’ve had in years. He had four consecutive 4000 yard seasons. He put up great numbers his final season with Washington but they finished 7-9 and a lot of the blame fell on him. Since the Commanders allowed him to walk they’ve gotten worse every year. I get that QBs are judged on their W/L record but you have to be careful with that sometimes. You can’t make the mistake of putting it all on the QB if they’re putting up solid numbers.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score

If it were me I’d tell him to go see what he thinks he is worth and then come back, play hard ball. There might be one team in the entire league that would be interested in dak (the chargers and that’s a downgrade from their current qb....but if they ready to move on from rivers, so be it)

no other team has any interest at all in dak Prescott making 8 figures for them. They already got their guys, or can get better guys in the draft.

Time for the new ball coach to put his big boy pants on and find us a qb......or get laughed out of town