Video: Dak Prescott should hold out if franchise tagged

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that Jimmy G may be the guy who wins a Superbowl that is vastly overpaid but that team is not a veteran team like ours is so they have a bunch of key guys on rookie deals.

Even if he did win he would be an outlier when it comes to QB's getting paid winning titles. He is not the reason they are there either.

Dak Prescott at 35-40 mill is a rip off. If the market truly thinks he is worth that then I hope they actually let him go out and see who besides the stupid Cowboys would offer it.
Do we know Prescott is asking $35-40 million rather than maybe $30-35 million? If he is asking for something closer to $40 million I would agree with you about that not being a good level because at that price he would be asking the market to take a sizable jump. Something around $33-35 million may be a more accurate reflection of the current market for a QB at Dak's level.

I agree that SF is in a pretty good situation with the overall youth and salary commitments, but that really doesn't relate to market value for a QB. I would also say that what Garappolo got in his contract was overpriced at the time, but is probably very reasonable by today's standards for a QB at his level.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Should probably address the backup QB position in case this happens.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Who is good enough? I'm sure if asked that question most would think of guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson or Mahomes. Now, ask yourself how many of those players there are to go around, and what the odds are of getting one if we moved on from Dak. The fact that 3 of those 5 names were drafted between 15-20 years ago proves that guys like that are very rare, and that there is a very low chance of getting one.

Great. So there is no talent at the QB position...so let's throw all of our money at ours because he is better then the other garbage floating about the streets. You don't pay a very very average QB 40 million dollars because he is the best very very average QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great. So there is no talent at the QB position...so let's throw all of our money at ours because he is better then the other garbage floating about the streets. You don't pay a very very average QB 40 million dollars because he is the best very very average QB.
That's not what I said, nor is it logical. Not being a Top 5 QB is not the same as having no talent.

As for paying Dak $40 million, who says we have to? Dak has never said that.

As for Dak being "very very average at best", we will just have to disagree on that. He certainly isn't one of the elite's, but he fits nicely within the next level after that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's not what I said, nor is it logical. Not being a Top 5 QB is not the same as having no talent.

As for paying Dak $40 million, who says we have to? Dak has never said that.

As for Dak being "very very average at best", we will just have to disagree on that. He certainly isn't one of the elite's, but he fits nicely within the next level after that.

Some "next level's after that" will be available for a lot cheaper.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some "next level's after that" will be available for a lot cheaper.

That's probably true only if we disagree as to who falls within the range of "next levels". To me "next levels" include Dak, Wentz, Goff, Watson, Ryan, Cousins … Garoppolo may be entering that group, Carr and Murray could be included, and Rivers is probably exiting it.

For me, guys like Keenum, Dalton, Tannehill and Fitzpatrick do not fit into the group of "next levels", and guys like Darnold have not proven to be there.

Javier

Reaction score
If Dak wants to hold out, just move on from him. He is not that special.

And MM would never forgive that

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Why is it good?

Do you win championships by overpaying mediocre QBs?

Id rather be terrible then stuck in mediocrity as long as we don’t trade all of our picks away for Joey Galloway.

Because finding a franchise QB is next to impossible. There's probably 5 or 6 LEGIT franchise QBs in the NFL right now, and that's with 3 QBs or so going in the 1st round every YEAR. that's a lot of misses or guys who are good enough.

Just because a guy isn't an elite franchise QB doesn't mean he's going to be MEDIOCRE. I would NOT classify Dak as MEDIOCRE. He's a top 15 QB, and probably a top 10 NFL qb. He's just not ELITE.

I would rather pay that guy a ton of money than keep searching for a franchise QB, in the meantime throwing away multiple seasons and losing out on Free Agents.

Just look at the niners, Jimmy G is not an elite QB and he's in the SB. You don't need a Pat Mahomes to win in the NFL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because finding a franchise QB is next to impossible. There's probably 5 or 6 LEGIT franchise QBs in the NFL right now, and that's with 3 QBs or so going in the 1st round every YEAR. that's a lot of misses or guys who are good enough.

Just because a guy isn't an elite franchise QB doesn't mean he's going to be MEDIOCRE. I would NOT classify Dak as MEDIOCRE. He's a top 15 QB, and probably a top 10 NFL qb. He's just not ELITE.

I would rather pay that guy a ton of money than keep searching for a franchise QB, in the meantime throwing away multiple seasons and losing out on Free Agents.

Just look at the niners, Jimmy G is not an elite QB and he's in the SB. You don't need a Pat Mahomes to win in the NFL.

Yeah.. Paying mediocre QBs and even paying truly elite QBs is t working for teams trying to win a championship.

If the 9ers win a championship Jimmy G will be one of the first outliers of a QB that isn’t a rookie or an elite vet taking a paycut to win it and I would attribute that to them not having a veteran roster around him and not needing to invest financially. Dallas has a ton of vets they have to pay.