Dak slowed down to stiff arm that clown

blueblood70

Reaction score
He didn't slow down for the purpose of stiff arming him. That would be selfish. He slowed down, hoping to set up Gallup for a block.
no he didnt he had the inside and some bend and wiggle could have got him 10-15 more yards maybe td ..sorry but that was personal , he had some words for Josh he slowed way down, had he kept it full speed and a little more inside, he gets tons more yards..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no he didnt he had the inside and some bend and wiggle could have got him 10-15 more yards maybe td ..sorry but that was personal , he had some words for Josh he slowed way down, had he kept it full speed and a little more inside, he gets tons more yards..
If that's true, he's not the team leader people say he is. No, he was clearly setting up the block.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was interesting that Dak didn't cut back the other direction. Maybe they coached him to avoid it because he might take a big hit going towards the middle of the field.

That's what I thought when I watched the game Sunday. I thought Dak missed a big chance for more yardage by not cutting behind Gallup. But I just watched the play from the video link in the OP and that showed a different angle. It appears Dak hesitated just a second as he thought about cutting behind Gallup, but he was a step or two ahead of Gallup, and to cut behind him he would have had to slow way down, which would have given others a chance to catch him.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's what I thought when I watched the game Sunday. I thought Dak missed a big chance for more yardage by not cutting behind Gallup. But I just watched the play from the video link in the OP and that showed a different angle. It appears Dak hesitated just a second as he thought about cutting behind Gallup, but he was a step or two ahead of Gallup, and to cut behind him he would have had to slow way down, which would have given others a chance to catch him.
I think he meant he thought Dak should've angled to the right, away from Gallup and Norman.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why he didn't cut back to the right.

It seems that cutting behind Gallup would put Dak on the opposite side of Norman where Gallup can't block or get in the way.

The top priority is to avoid injury. I've seen many RBs get injured on long runs where defenders collide with them at full speed and their shoulder or arm gets slammed into the ground abruptly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he meant he thought Dak should've angled to the right, away from Gallup and Norman.
Ahh - my mistake. That's another interesting question, but I really think we are probably are just overthinking this. We have to remember that on the field this all happens in the blink of an eye, and the players don't have the advantage of the wide angle views and replays that we get watching on TV. We get to disect it - they don't as the play happens. Who knows, Dak may have felt cutting inside would have been cutting into the heart of the pursuit, whereas if he stayed to the outside Norman was the only player to beat. Or maybe he just screwed up. I personally think he had a fleeting thought about trying to cut behind Gallup, which was the hesitation/slowing we see, and once he hesitated, he was pretty committed to staying outside.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why he didn't cut back to the right.

It seems that cutting behind Gallup would put Dak on the opposite side of Norman where Gallup can't block or get in the way.

The top priority is to avoid injury. I've seen many RBs get injured on long runs where defenders collide with them at full speed and their shoulder or arm gets slammed into the ground abruptly.
Read my response in the post above for my thoughts on that

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He didn't slow down for the purpose of stiff arming him. That would be selfish. He slowed down, hoping to set up Gallup for a block.

Looked like if he'd cut outside behind Gallup he'd have scored. I think he was definitely looking for contact with Norman.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ahh - my mistake. That's another interesting question, but I really think we are probably are just overthinking this. We have to remember that on the field this all happens in the blink of an eye, and the players don't have the advantage of the wide angle views and replays that we get watching on TV. We get to disect it - they don't as the play happens. Who knows, Dak may have felt cutting inside would have been cutting into the heart of the pursuit, whereas if he stayed to the outside Norman was the only player to beat. Or maybe he just screwed up. I personally think he had a fleeting thought about trying to cut behind Gallup, which was the hesitation/slowing we see, and once he hesitated, he was pretty committed to staying outside.
I agree with all of this.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You honestly believe Dak would rather make contact with the defender, risking injury, rather than score a TD for his team?

I dont think a stiff arm was his original intent, no. I think he slowed to weigh his options and realized he didn't have a clear lane to the end zone inside or outside. I do think once contact became inevitable, he consciously put himself in position to throw it. This is Dak. Hes been notorious for seeking contact in the open field his entire career going back to college.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dont think a stiff arm was his original intent, no. I think he slowed to weigh his options and realized he didn't have a clear lane to the end zone inside or outside. I do think once contact became inevitable, he consciously put himself in position to throw it. This is Dak. Hes been notorious for seeking contact in the open field his entire career going back to college.
That seems a little more conceivable to me. The stiff arm is a staple for runners to get more yardage, so once he knew he wasn't running past, or Gallup wasn't getting a good enough block, he threw up the hand. Last week he stiff armed a Giant with his throwing hand........He needs to start sliding more, once he knows he's gotten the necessary yardage.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The bolded part I agree with. I don't at all think he was going after Norman specifically, I think he just realized he couldn't get away by trying to outrun Norman, so he had to come up with something else, and the stiff arm was what he chose to go with.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gallup was failing at the block and Dak wasn't going to run away from Norman. The right play was what Dak did, to engage Norman on your own terms and hope you can take him down, with some help from Gallup.

And it was fun to watch! I'm disappointed that Dez didn't sprinkle some salt Norman on twitter.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
norman-ftrjpg_1esxxt1nlzs5i16ttpdqausfbg.jpg

I don't care why, just how. :muttley: