News: Dak Under Pressure

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dak Under Pressure

Dak Prescott performance when he is blitzed and/or under pressure has fluctuated up and down all year-long. In the first couple games, it seemed like getting pressure on Dak could neutralize him, then he had a game or two when he beat blitzes and made big plays when under pressure. Then both the Eagles and Packers seemed to “contain” Dak by blitzing him frequently.

The Steelers unleashed a barrage of blitzes that the 2016 Cowboys have not faced in frequency or variety. The Steelers blitzed Dak on 22 of his 34 drop-backs. That 22 blitzes does not include any of the numerous run-blitzes the Steelers used. The Steelers, for all their blitzing, managed 2 sacks (one caused a turnover) and 11 “pressures”.

PFF graded him at 72.9 with no blitz (7 of 12 for 64 yards), but 150.0 when blitzed (15 of 20 for 255 yards, 2 TDs, 2 sacks).

According to PFF, when Dak had a clean pocket, his QB rating was 114.9 (16 for 23, 223 yards and 1 TD).

The Steelers managed to get pressure on Dak on 11 of his 34 drop-backs. When he was under pressure, Dak was 6-9 for 96 yards, 1 TD, 2 sacks. His PFF grade actually went up to 139.1 when under pressure (from 114.9).

If Dak Prescott can continue to beat blitzes and be successful when under pressure, it is hard to imagine any defense finding an easy way to stop the 2016 Dallas Cowboys.

Dak was sacked twice by the Packers. The sack that caused the fumble was a play-action attempt from the shotgun on 1st & 10. The other sack, that resulted in a FG, came on 3rd down when the Cowboys were trying to pass out of the shotgun. This is the 3rd or 4th game in a row when the opponent has sacked Dak on 3rd down when trying to pass out of the shotgun.

http://cowboyszone.com/2016/11/dak-prescott-play-action-and-success-under-pressure-vs-pit.html

ksadler1

Reaction score
I know it's still too early to tell, but wow, this kid is going to be special. I do hope the coaches are working with him on more ball security while in the pocket. He's fumbled around 4 or 5 times this year already. I'd like to see him tuck the ball and run a little more, as long as he doesn't take unnecessary hits.....

JJHLH1

Reaction score
These stats are impressive for any quarterback, but are truly remarkable for a rookie. The Boys have another tough game tomorrow, facing the #1 defense.

wconn1979

Reaction score
These stats are impressive for any quarterback, but are truly remarkable for a rookie. The Boys have another tough game tomorrow, facing the #1 defense.

The Ravens have a tough game tomorrow, facing the #1 running offense, the #1 rusher, and #3 total offense. :laugh:

TheHerd

Reaction score
I know it's still too early to tell, but wow, this kid is going to be special. I do hope the coaches are working with him on more ball security while in the pocket. He's fumbled around 4 or 5 times this year already. I'd like to see him tuck the ball and run a little more, as long as he doesn't take unnecessary hits.....
Actually he has 6 fumbles already. It's the only chink in his armor so far.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Normally those fumbles come early. It's almost like a boxer who doesn't get in rhythm until he gets hit, ala The Great white Hype- Damon Wayans- "You trying to embarrass me on national TV"

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Ravens have a tough game tomorrow, facing the #1 running offense, the #1 rusher, and #3 total offense. :laugh:
Something's gotta give and I have a good idear which one its gonna be......;)