Dak vs. Jerry = fans lose

foofighters

Reaction score
Either way, it's the fans that have to pay. Every year, my wife asks if this is the year that we will go see the new stadium in person. Each year I pass. This year the Cowboys play in Minnesota and since we are only 4 hours away, that's the game we will probably go see. But do I? I understand Dak wanting to get paid. I understand Jerry wanting to make money but how much do they need? Is that worth me spending around $500 a ticket plus parking, food and so on? Our daughter lives in Iowa City and I'd almost rather go see a few home games there and go participate in the "wave." The greed from players and the owners just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is not isolated between Dak and Jerry or Cowboys. It is sports in general. Myself I still enjoy going to the game when I can and when it is no longer enjoyable then I will stop watching all together.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spend your money anyway you want, see the Cowboys (as does it matter if Dak is at QB) or go see your daughter, or go somewhere else.

Just remember, someone overly rich person is getting that money. But if you go to Minnesota, Jerry is not getting that, their owner is. (less any revenue sharing).
Go to Disney, the money doesn't go to Mickey, it goes to ESPN / ABC also. :muttley:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Either way, it's the fans that have to pay. Every year, my wife asks if this is the year that we will go see the new stadium in person. Each year I pass. This year the Cowboys play in Minnesota and since we are only 4 hours away, that's the game we will probably go see. But do I? I understand Dak wanting to get paid. I understand Jerry wanting to make money but how much do they need? Is that worth me spending around $500 a ticket plus parking, food and so on? Our daughter lives in Iowa City and I'd almost rather go see a few home games there and go participate in the "wave." The greed from players and the owners just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If you can afford spending big $$ to see the Cowboys (and make your wife happy in the process) more power to you, my friend!
On the other hand, saving a small fortune by going the economy route has its advantages also. Just enjoy it, either way!:thumbup:

Last edited:

garyo1954

Reaction score

Can't wait for the day they break the limit and start paying fans to fill the stadium. I might go back.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What is the connection between Dak's contract and you going to Vikings home game?

Why are you spending $500 a ticket?

None of this makes any sense.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team has the same cap. Thats pro sports. You want great football without all the money polluting it? Go watch HS football. NCAA is just as bad as the pros.

SSoup

Reaction score
I would argue the fans lost more when Jerry decided to devote unusually large resources to less premium positions like 4-3 linebackers and interior offensive linemen and running backs. To say nothing of the Lawrence extension, which presumed he would be an elite pass-rusher for years to come even though he'd only ever been elite for half of a season one time.

The fans don't lose if we have to pay our QB what the market bears.

In short, if you are lucky enough to find a good QB, at some point you're going to pay an uncomfortably huge extension to keep them. It's the cost of doing business. Unless you want to risk plunging yourself back into the dark era of not having a QB. Where you're throwing darts at a dartboard in the draft every year or two, and you're signing projects and lottery tickets and guys in their late 30's or 40's. We didn't like it the last time we went that route, but fans who irrationally hate Dak are rock-hard at the idea.

Because of the nature of the prices going up (the cap has exploded, but teams still try to roster as many guys making peanuts as possible, which means most of the money gets shoved towards the upper end of the roster), it means you sign a guy to as long a deal as he'll agree to as early as possible. It starts out looking like a huge deal. And then a few years later, seemingly worse quarterbacks are getting even bigger paydays just by virtue of their extension coming later once the market bar had been raised and the cap had risen.

It wouldn't have been unthinkable for the Packers to sign Rodgers to a huge deal, and then wake up one day a handful of years later to find that the Lions got stuck paying more to Stafford and the Bears got stuck paying similar to Cutler and the Vikings are flirting with paying more to a generic free agent (just because these guys all get more when they hit the open market before they're old men, because that's what the market will bear). It wouldn't have meant they were better than him, just that the confluence of events conspired to give them more favorable circumstances to hit the jackpot.

Maybe one of these days, a team will go all Moneyball on everyone and decide that they're going to maintain a financial advantage by going cheap at QB every year no matter how good a QB they draft, and using all that saved money to surround the QB with the best team possible. But I don't think we'll be that team.

shabazz

Reaction score
At least its not the NBA with almost all guaranteed contracts and load management which really means, " I'm lazy and not gonna play tonight and since I have guaranteed money, there nothing you can do about it"