Twitter: Dak's average target separation among all QBs

Jarntt

Reaction score
What I have noticed more this year than in some past years is Dak is opting to throw “tight window throws” when other receivers are open but he is forcing that throw anyway. Just because a QB throws the ball into a tight window doesn’t mean that was his best or only option. I also think this year with no running game defenses are able to focus a little more on stopping the pass which leads to better coverage And the same goes for the fact that our pass protection (this is from personal opinion not any stats I’ve seen) hasn’t been quite as good as in prior years so teams are getting pressure without blitzing which also allows them to focus more on covering.

Mr_437

Reaction score
What I have noticed more this year than in some past years is Dak is opting to throw “tight window throws” when other receivers are open but he is forcing that throw anyway. Just because a QB throws the ball into a tight window doesn’t mean that was his best or only option. I also think this year with no running game defenses are able to focus a little more on stopping the pass which leads to better coverage And the same goes for the fact that our pass protection (this is from personal opinion not any stats I’ve seen) hasn’t been quite as good as in prior years so teams are getting pressure without blitzing which also allows them to focus more on covering.
A+

DallasInDC

Reaction score
That additional pressure also takes away 2nd and 3rd reads that may limit the ability to find the more open reciever. It may very well be he missed the open receiver, or it could be that he didn't get to that level of progression, or the other option is fans have a vantage point of seeing the whole field from replay and/or all 22 film (at a slowed down rate) that gives the fan an ability see which players are open vs not, compared to an eye-level view at real speed.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yes thats right.

The commentators of games are trying to put it like its a great skill of dak to be able to make those throws. And whats more they make it sound like the other defense is so great there are no other options.

Truth is he just locks on one WRs and does not make the necessary reads. There are other options he could throw to that are more open. He just lacks talent and skill to find them.

Whats even more he is not able to make those tight window throws on a constant basis. So a OC will shy away to call those plays. Just because the negative outcome of the play is very probable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
even if that, but after 140+ throws, has there been enough of those "opting to throw" throws that make much of a difference in the separation stat.

I am not sure how this stat is calculated. is it the WR that was targeted or all the WRs? regardless

and yes, our OL play is forcing him at time to make throws when he doesn't want to.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I definitely agree with your concept of our lack of a running game allows defenses to focus solely on defending the pass and could contribute to what I am going to say next.
If you know me, I have been on the fence with Dak, neither hater or a #1 fan. Anyways, to be fair, I do believe Dak has less time to make those 2nd, 3rd, & 4th reads because our oline is struggling; blame it on talent, rookies or both but it is the truth - they just are not giving Dak much help. One other thing is the offensive play calling / gameplan just seems to be way too simple and old fashioned. Other than a rollout or a jet sweep, this offensive is very vanilla with no creativity.
And you factor in with, like you stated, the defense able to hone in pass rushes and defensive alignments to stop the passing game due to our running game scaring no one then yeah I imagine we will see more quick read tight throws.

P.s. and our need for WRs who can get separation beyond CeeDee Lamb is another topic we can discuss later….

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I am not sure how this stat is calculated. is it the WR that was targeted or all the WRs? regardless
I'm yet to actually see a definitive answer on that, but my best guess is that this is the targeted receiver at the moment of the catch. If the moment of the catch part is true it becomes an interesting debate in terms of QB accuracy as well in addition to WR talent and route concepts.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I definitely agree with your concept of our lack of a running game allows defenses to focus solely on defending the pass and could contribute to what I am going to say next.
If you know me, I have been on the fence with Dak, neither hater or a #1 fan. Anyways, to be fair, I do believe Dak has less time to make those 2nd, 3rd, & 4th reads because our oline is struggling; blame it on talent, rookies or both but it is the truth - they just are not giving Dak much help. One other thing is the offensive play calling / gameplan just seems to be way too simple and old fashioned. Other than a rollout or a jet sweep, this offensive is very vanilla with no creativity.
And you factor in with, like you stated, the defense able to hone in pass rushes and defensive alignments to stop the passing game due to our running game scaring no one then yeah I imagine we will see more quick read tight throws.

P.s. and our need for WRs who can get separation beyond CeeDee Lamb is another topic we can discuss later….
Lamb can seemingly get open enough....but aside from te....we have no muscle receivers.

It's a sign of the times (weak) that we now have a "separation" stat. You think aikman and Irvin cared about that?

Creeper

Reaction score
It's early, but it seems opposing defense playing our receivers tight all the time, unless the game is out of reach. New Orleans and Baltimore, and even Cleveland, smothered our receivers most of the game. People for get Dallas had only 49 yards of offense in the 2nd half of the Cleveland game.

In the meantime, our CB play 7 or 8 yards off against opposing offenses, even in must stop situations like at the end of the Baltimore game when Dallas needed a stop. Diggs was 7 yards off the receiver and allowed an easy 1st down to Baltimore giving them a fresh set of downs to burn more time off the clock.

When Dak throws his short passes, it seems a defender stops the receiver immediately and doesn't allow him to get going forward.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Yes thats right.

The commentators of games are trying to put it like its a great skill of dak to be able to make those throws. And whats more they make it sound like the other defense is so great there are no other options.

Truth is he just locks on one WRs and does not make the necessary reads. There are other options he could throw to that are more open. He just lacks talent and skill to find them.

Whats even more he is not able to make those tight window throws on a constant basis. So a OC will shy away to call those plays. Just because the negative outcome of the play is very probable.
The mental gymnastics required to still make this Dak's fault with no running game, the worst WR separation in the NFL, vanilla playcalling, and very rough tackle play on both sides is Olympic-worthy. It's just pure insanity to me. You can watch the All-22 and see Dak go through multiple reads almost every snap he has the time. But more often than not he's getting pressured too quickly and just trying to get the ball out. He's certainly not perfect and needs to elevate the team where he can, but he's literally dealing with no help from his receivers, playcallers, or running game, as well as a bad defense for several games. No QB can overcome the entire team being this bad.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
even if that, but after 140+ throws, has there been enough of those "opting to throw" throws that make much of a difference in the separation stat.

and yes, our OL play is forcing him at time to make throws when he doesn't want to.
The hilarious part about all this is that for years the unwillingness (or inability) to make tight window throws was one of the chief arguments as to why Dak was no good. Now that he's making more of them than just about any QB in the league it has now turned into "well he only looks at one receiver so that's why he's having to make more tight window throws." The fact that this whole "stares down one receiver" and "can't read defenses" narratives are still out there for a guy who is TOP FIVE ALL TIME in interception percentage may be the stoopidest take ever posted on this site which is saying a lot. I mean do people really not know that if you stare down receivers and can't read defenses you tend to throw a LOT of picks?

blueblood70

Reaction score
the one guy who played well in pre season cant even be Active on game day.
that's because the level of preseason talent is huge gap from the regular season, we've seen camp/PS heroes do nothing in the RS,..ie tap the breaks on who Flournay is or can become. Trust what the Coaches are seeing in practice and film and maybe he's just not ready..im sure he will get shot at some point. Yes, he looked the part IN PS!!