Twitter: Dak's been training with Coach Tom Shaw for 3 weeks

DFWJC

Reaction score
Love that we got Dak.

finding the offseason guy to train with has become the norm with players, fwiw. Not out of the ordinary, but nice to know anyway.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Certainly possible. But I called RG3, TO3 the first time I heard him throw his coaches play calling under the bus and knew he was "me" guy. Dak is not that guy. He will be as good as he wants to be, and I believe he wants to be great.
Dak's mental aptitude is in deed superior to RG3 but if you think that was the comparison I was making, then your reading comprehension is lacking. It's the injury to his knee that stifled RG3, not his mentality. The same can happen to Dak.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak's mental aptitude is in deed superior to RG3 but if you think that was the comparison I was making, then your reading comprehension is lacking. It's the injury to his knee that stifled RG3, not his mentality. The same can happen to Dak.

Actually I wasn't implying that at all. But I also didn't think anyone was stupid enough to say an injury might take him down. No Crap genius. What a brilliant point to make.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Do you even lift bro?

Dak-Prescott-Muscle-Supplements.jpg

I bet he could beat up Romo.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Weak arm. Long motion. Inaccurate in college. Only worked from the spread.

But Montana had a weak arm, too, which is why he went later.

Leadership off the charts in Dak.
Your last sentence.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Good to see Dak has all the cliches down pat
At the end of the day, it is what it is and the sky is the limit because it is a game of inches and the NFL separates the men from the boys when they reach deep down and scratch their itch to be famed. Unlike Romo with his awkward goodbye speeches and videos ...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Weak arm. Long motion. Inaccurate in college. Only worked from the spread.

But Montana had a weak arm, too, which is why he went later.

Leadership off the charts in Dak.

His arm isn't weak, it's just not a cannon. Teams like QB's with big arms because it opens up the playbook for them. But, you can have a cannon like Wentz and have a long, poor motion that takes more time to get to the receiver and is inaccurate and the cannon really doesn't matter.

His throwing motion in college wasn't 'long.' And now it's a very short, compact overhand motion.

He didn't work from the spread either, that was one of the major misconceptions. He worked in a pro style offense that was very similar to what Linehan runs except it was always from the shotgun.

Now Dak's throwing motion is excellent, his ball placement on short and intermediate passes is excellent (better than Romo), he throws excellent on the run (to his right and his left), he's excellent at setting up screens, using RPO's and was very good at reading defenses and manipulating safeties and linebackers.

I think people that don't believe in Dak think he's a bit too good to be true. Given that he was a 4th round pick and that many think so little of our Front Office (which is really stupid) that they tend to think we could have never gotten this lucky.

And then there's the Romo lemmings who simply dislike Dak because he's not Romo and think a healthy Romo would have been better than Dak this past season, despite Dak putting up a higher QBR in one season than Romo ever has. And anything Romo did well that Dak has yet to prove himself on, they use that against him. There's some great fallacy that Romo was a master at reading defenses while reality was that he was very good, but he made his fair share of mistakes and his slowing down of the offense often worked against us (tough to get other players on the same page with constant audibling right before the snap).

We've got to learn from the mistakes we made during the Romo era, particularly think that a QB is as good as Brady or Peyton and thinking that his game should be played like them. Romo isn't that type of QB...he's a QB that works best when you limit his throws under 36 passes or so, use the run game, set up for the intermediate and deep passes off of play action, have him roll out a few times and get him to climb up the pocket where he was deadly.

Instead, we wanted to make him into a heavy throwing, dink-n-dunk QB who stayed all the way back in the pocket like Brady that over-audibles. Those aren't his strengths.

With Dak, I see a QB that is tremendous on intermediate and short passes, great on screens and has the ball handling for play fakes. That can run and pass effectively on RPO's. I'd like to see him develop his deep passing further and see what comes from that, but we need to tailor a scheme and supporting cast to fit his strengths and that means a better threat at the Z-Receiver than Williams (too small of a catch radius and can't get open enough underneath), always having tailbacks that can pass receive and run out of the pistol/shotgun, having a running game that runs well off the edge so it can open up the bootlegs. And probably more receivers and tight ends that can run pivot routes and get YAC than your Brice Butler or T-Will or Jason Witten types (although Witten's blocking is important).

Don't try to make Dak into what you think a QB should be. Work with Dak's strengths and weaknesses to exploit his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

YR

lukin2006

Reaction score
That's what I like to hear. He has a great work ethic. I also believe Tom Brady used a QB coach in the off-season early in his career. Can only help Dak improve.

Elziegreat83

Reaction score
Totally random question, but what Daks Wonderlic score? If I remember correctly, it was pretty high...

blumayne38

Reaction score
His arm isn't weak, it's just not a cannon. Teams like QB's with big arms because it opens up the playbook for them. But, you can have a cannon like Wentz and have a long, poor motion that takes more time to get to the receiver and is inaccurate and the cannon really doesn't matter.

His throwing motion in college wasn't 'long.' And now it's a very short, compact overhand motion.

He didn't work from the spread either, that was one of the major misconceptions. He worked in a pro style offense that was very similar to what Linehan runs except it was always from the shotgun.

Now Dak's throwing motion is excellent, his ball placement on short and intermediate passes is excellent (better than Romo), he throws excellent on the run (to his right and his left), he's excellent at setting up screens, using RPO's and was very good at reading defenses and manipulating safeties and linebackers.

I think people that don't believe in Dak think he's a bit too good to be true. Given that he was a 4th round pick and that many think so little of our Front Office (which is really stupid) that they tend to think we could have never gotten this lucky.

And then there's the Romo lemmings who simply dislike Dak because he's not Romo and think a healthy Romo would have been better than Dak this past season, despite Dak putting up a higher QBR in one season than Romo ever has. And anything Romo did well that Dak has yet to prove himself on, they use that against him. There's some great fallacy that Romo was a master at reading defenses while reality was that he was very good, but he made his fair share of mistakes and his slowing down of the offense often worked against us (tough to get other players on the same page with constant audibling right before the snap).

We've got to learn from the mistakes we made during the Romo era, particularly think that a QB is as good as Brady or Peyton and thinking that his game should be played like them. Romo isn't that type of QB...he's a QB that works best when you limit his throws under 36 passes or so, use the run game, set up for the intermediate and deep passes off of play action, have him roll out a few times and get him to climb up the pocket where he was deadly.

Instead, we wanted to make him into a heavy throwing, dink-n-dunk QB who stayed all the way back in the pocket like Brady that over-audibles. Those aren't his strengths.

With Dak, I see a QB that is tremendous on intermediate and short passes, great on screens and has the ball handling for play fakes. That can run and pass effectively on RPO's. I'd like to see him develop his deep passing further and see what comes from that, but we need to tailor a scheme and supporting cast to fit his strengths and that means a better threat at the Z-Receiver than Williams (too small of a catch radius and can't get open enough underneath), always having tailbacks that can pass receive and run out of the pistol/shotgun, having a running game that runs well off the edge so it can open up the bootlegs. And probably more receivers and tight ends that can run pivot routes and get YAC than your Brice Butler or T-Will or Jason Witten types (although Witten's blocking is important).

Don't try to make Dak into what you think a QB should be. Work with Dak's strengths and weaknesses to exploit his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

YR
I just liked this on the fact, someone took the time to write it...or type whatever

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Actually I wasn't implying that at all. But I also didn't think anyone was stupid enough to say an injury might take him down. No Crap genius. What a brilliant point to make.

You're dealing with Mr Tx Star! lol. The guy argues with everyone 24/7. At least he is a star in his own universe with that.

Gator88

Reaction score
Now Dak's throwing motion is excellent, his ball placement on short and intermediate passes is excellent (better than Romo)

And then there's the Romo lemmings who simply dislike Dak because he's not Romo and think a healthy Romo would have been better than Dak this past season, despite Dak putting up a higher QBR in one season than Romo ever has.

There's some great fallacy that Romo was a master at reading defenses while reality was that he was very good, but he made his fair share of mistakes and his slowing down of the offense often worked against us (tough to get other players on the same page with constant audibling right before the snap).

LOL to point one, just not even close to being true. I saw more of the WRs catching bad passes this year, than any year with Romo.

Wait, there's a lemming that believes ESPN's QBR actually means anything with their "clutch factor" they put in? :lmao2:

LOL, Romo not being one of the best QBs at reading defenses. Not his fault that the fo put out dumb players like Ogletree, and Roy Williams.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Pretty strange that just 7 months ago the coaches were giving him equal snaps with Showers in preseason. Basically says three former QBs (two of them in the NFL) caught a tiger by the tail and had no clue. Might have made sense if Showers was also a diamond in the rough, but they've since moved him full time to Safety.

No idea who this Tom Shaw is. Hopefully it's not the golfer.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're dealing with Mr Tx Star! lol. The guy argues with everyone 24/7. At least he is a star in his own universe with that.

seriously, what a clown. So we should never be excited about any player at any position in any sport because they might get injured. Sports are not for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pretty strange that just 7 months ago the coaches were giving him equal snaps with Showers in preseason. Basically says three former QBs (two of them in the NFL) caught a tiger by the tail and had no clue. Might have made sense if Showers was also a diamond in the rough, but they've since moved him full time to Safety.

No idea who this Tom Shaw is. Hopefully it's not the golfer.

http://www.coachtomshaw.com/

Evidently has worked with a lot of great players including Tom Brady.