Dak's college scouting reports

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

Right now—and some of this is due to how he was used at Mississippi State—Prescott stares down pressure in the pocket. This leads to a hesitation in his reads down the field, and in the NFL, that's a sack. After four years of running the ball and playing behind suspect offensive lines, the last thing Prescott needs is to absorb more free hits in the NFL. He has to learn to use his feet to evade the rush while staying true in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield to scan for targets.

Can Prescott learn to throw on time and to space instead of to receivers? In the Bulldogs offense, he dominated with dink-and-dunk routes while struggling on downfield routes. He has the arm to push the ball deep but wasn't accurate enough to be a serious threat there consistently. NFL coaches must be patient while fixing his mechanics, which will in turn improve his accuracy.

It seems like nothing has really changed.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Describes him to a tee.

Staff mostly to blame for not developing him more? Or aiding in that development?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Gee, how did a Cigar Store Indian only get sacked twice when facing Clowney and JJ Watt?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Gee, how did a Cigar Store Indian only get sacked twice when facing Clowney and JJ Watt?

Because he's not willing to give up his body for the good of the team? If those 2 picks were sacks, you'd probably have a W right now. There is a such a thing as taking the sack being the right choice.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You draft a 4th rounder, he might do 4th round things. Moral of the story is, don't go cheap.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This:

"...Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions."

is glaring to me, now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would have been interesting to see what Dak could have been if Romo were the QB coach (or OC) not Moore.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Because he's not willing to give up his body for the good of the team? If those 2 picks were sacks, you'd probably have a W right now. There is a such a thing as taking the sack being the right choice.
What the he k , the ints were caused by one high ball and another reciver lost the contested ball , nothing to do with not taking the sacks

Zman5

Reaction score
This:

"...Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions."

is glaring to me, now.

This is why I think we need to get him to run or get him out side the pocket by design early in the game. It's been said, Cam starts to play better once he gets hit while running.

Anyone who has played any contact sport knows that once you get hit hard, your adrenaline kicks in and you feel more aware.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
This:

is glaring to me, now.

He’s totally rattled, happy feet, dances in the pocket. Let him run more so he can calm down. The games we’ve won were the games he ran more in...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This is why I think we need to get him to run or get him out side the pocket by design early in the game. It's been said, Cam starts to play better once he gets hit while running.

Anyone who has played any contact sport knows that once you get hit hard, your adrenaline kicks in and you feel more aware.
Man, I just don't see any Cam in Dak. He isn't that kind of athlete, nor does he have Cam's arm. Wentz and Wilson and Rodgers (and Mahomes) play great outside the pocket, but they also can deliver behind C. Your franchise QB needs to be able to make throws from inside the pocket, even under duress.

Zman5

Reaction score
Man, I just don't see any Cam in Dak. He isn't that kind of athlete, nor does he have Cam's arm. Wentz and Wilson and Rodgers (and Mahomes) play great outside the pocket, but they also can deliver behind C. Your franchise QB needs to be able to make throws from inside the pocket, even under duress.

I am not saying he is Cam but what we need to do this year to at least have a QB that can make our putrid offense look average.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He’s totally rattled, happy feet, dances in the pocket. Let him run more so he can calm down. The games we’ve won were the games he ran more in...
He had 3 carries for 2 yards vs Detroit.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't see Dak staring down the pass rush, but I do see him staring down receivers. He does not appear to go through all of his progressions. Then again he rarely has time to do that.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Those two picks hit the WR in the hands.