Dak's contract (yes another one)

J-man

Reaction score
So I was thinking about Dak's potential deal and the perimeters. I think by now we all know that he's going to get paid between 35-40 million/yr and it's just a matter of the terms and guaranteed $.
He reportedly wouldn't sign last year to due the length of contract, only wanting 4 yrs not 5.

I realize that the cap hit makes it difficult to pay him that much $ without spreading the deal out as long as possible. But regardless of how the deal is ultimately structured the team knows they are about to be in QB cap hell for the next several years and there isn't very much they can do about it until they can draft a QB that can be the starter on a rookie deal.
So, knowing this and with all the long term deals blowing up in teams faces lately, doesn't it make sense to give him the shorter contract he desires?

What if they offered him a 2 year deal worth $75m ($37.5m/) or a 3 year deal worth $105m ($35m/?
All fully guaranteed $, but based on games played.
Meaning it's all base salary and is divided up by 17 games checks annually, which he collects, as long as he plays. 2yr deal is $2.205 and change /gm 3yr deal is $2.058 and change /gm

If he doesn't play a game for any reason, he forfeits the check. If he gets injured, sick, if he gets covid or if they bench him for poor play he isn't guaranteed the $. Obviously they could work out an injury clause just in case like all players have in their deals. And they can decide to pay him if he misses a game for whatever reason, if they choose to do so in good faith.

This way the team is protected from the long term nightmare if he fails, but he's guaranteed cash if he does his job. And be in a position to possibly do it again before he gets to the point of regression.

I know this is a pipe dream as the PA would never allow it and the Cowboys might not be able to make the $ work. But it's fun to speculate and think outside the box on these things.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No way Dak does anything predicated on games played.

2 year, $75m is probably less cash than he'd make on a longer deal anyway.

Flamma

Reaction score
What if they offered him a 2 year deal worth $75m ($37.5m/) or a 3 year deal worth $105m ($35m/?

I've mentioned this before, but why would he accept a two year deal for 75 million? That's just telling him that they want him for the next two years, but don't want to pay him what it would cost on the tag, which is around 90 million. He'll just say no to that.

J-man

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but why would he accept a two year deal for 75 million? That's just telling him that they want him for the next two years, but don't want to pay him what it would cost on the tag, which is around 90 million. He'll just say no to that.

This hypothetical is based on the rumors that he seems to be the one wanting the shorter deal, not Dallas. Dallas can offer him multiple deals all based on different amount of years, if they want to convince him they want him.
Just throwing these "short term" options out there if that's what he wants.

J-man

Reaction score
No way Dak does anything predicated on games played.

2 year, $75m is probably less cash than he'd make on a longer deal anyway.
possibly but he is the one asking for the shorter deal, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical offer to suit his (rumored) demands.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Carson Palmer said it best!

“I love Dak’s game. I think he’s great. I think he shouldn’t shoot for the moon (on his next contract),” Palmer said on Shan and RJ. “Being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback, there’s a lot that comes with that financially. So, you don’t have to be the top-paid quarterback in the league. You can make as much as the top-paid quarterback in the league when you’re the Dallas Cowboys quarterback if you do take less. Because, if you win in Dallas, look at today’s television networks.

You got Troy Aikman (Fox analyst), Jason Witten (former Monday Night Football analyst) and Tony Romo (CBS analyst) all on nationally televised games. Partially, because of their playing careers, but a majority of that is because they played for the Dallas Cowboys. They are a household name. You’ve seen Dak on tons of commercials and endorsements. You can make that same top-tier money if you’re Dak and you take a little bit less, and you keep all the players around you within the salary cap structure.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-prescott/ar-BB1doK5g?ocid=U452DHP&li=BBnbfcL

J-man

Reaction score
Carson Palmer said it best!

“I love Dak’s game. I think he’s great. I think he shouldn’t shoot for the moon (on his next contract),” Palmer said on Shan and RJ. “Being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback, there’s a lot that comes with that financially. So, you don’t have to be the top-paid quarterback in the league. You can make as much as the top-paid quarterback in the league when you’re the Dallas Cowboys quarterback if you do take less. Because, if you win in Dallas, look at today’s television networks.

You got Troy Aikman (Fox analyst), Jason Witten (former Monday Night Football analyst) and Tony Romo (CBS analyst) all on nationally televised games. Partially, because of their playing careers, but a majority of that is because they played for the Dallas Cowboys. They are a household name. You’ve seen Dak on tons of commercials and endorsements. You can make that same top-tier money if you’re Dak and you take a little bit less, and you keep all the players around you within the salary cap structure.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-prescott/ar-BB1doK5g?ocid=U452DHP&li=BBnbfcL

Yeah, don't we wish he and other QB's around the league would see this instead of listening to their agents talk about what they deserve in comparison to the QB's?

kskboys

Reaction score
So I was thinking about Dak's potential deal and the perimeters. I think by now we all know that he's going to get paid between 35-40 million/yr and it's just a matter of the terms and guaranteed $.
He reportedly wouldn't sign last year to due the length of contract, only wanting 4 yrs not 5.

I realize that the cap hit makes it difficult to pay him that much $ without spreading the deal out as long as possible. But regardless of how the deal is ultimately structured the team knows they are about to be in QB cap hell for the next several years and there isn't very much they can do about it until they can draft a QB that can be the starter on a rookie deal.
So, knowing this and with all the long term deals blowing up in teams faces lately, doesn't it make sense to give him the shorter contract he desires?

All fully guaranteed $, but based on games played.
Meaning it's all base salary and is divided up by 17 games checks annually, which he collects, as long as he plays. 2yr deal is $2.205 and change /gm 3yr deal is $2.058 and change /gm

If he doesn't play a game for any reason, he forfeits the check. If he gets injured, sick, if he gets covid or if they bench him for poor play he isn't guaranteed the $. Obviously they could work out an injury clause just in case like all players have in their deals. And they can decide to pay him if he misses a game for whatever reason, if they choose to do so in good faith.

This way the team is protected from the long term nightmare if he fails, but he's guaranteed cash if he does his job. And be in a position to possibly do it again before he gets to the point of regression.

I know this is a pipe dream as the PA would never allow it and the Cowboys might not be able to make the $ work. But it's fun to speculate and think outside the box on these things.
Sounds to me like the same ol' crapp we've been regurgitating every Dak thread. Why another new one?

J-man

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the same ol' crapp we've been regurgitating every Dak thread. Why another new one?

I understand, just giving my thought about a possible short term deal if that's what he wants.
Also, in my defense, that was posted in January