Dak's journey. A great player, and better yet, a great man

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
After all that Dak's been through over the 5 years with the Cowboys, it's so good to see him finally get paid. Not only the dollars, but the respect.

He came as an unheralded 4th round pick out of Miss. St. At Mississippi St. after red shirting as a true freshman in 2011, he played in 12 games in 2012 in mop up duty.

In 2013 he took over when the starter went down and played in 11 games completing 156 of 267 passes for 1,940 yards with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also ran for 829 yards on 134 carries with 13 touchdowns. He was the MVP of the 2013 Liberty Bowl with a 44-7 win over Rice.

In his first full season as the starter he led the team to a 10-2 regular season record and it's first #1 ranking in Bulldog Miss. St. history. He was named to the 2013 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll. He was Manning Award Player of the week 5 times, the SEC Offensive Player of the Week 3 times. 2014 Honorable Mention All-American. 2014 First Team All SEC by the AP.

He won the Conerly Trophy, was a finalist for the Maxwell Award, the Davey O'Brien Award, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award, and the Manning Award.

He also finished eighth in the 2014 Heisman Trophy voting and received two first place votes. I could go on and on but you get the point. He was awesome.

To sum up his college career, Dak finished third in SEC history in total yards, and fourth in total touchdowns.

He holds 38 school records and was 2016 Senior Bowl Most Outstanding Player.

Final College stats - 734/1169 for 62% Cmp 9,376 Yds with 70 TD's and only 22 int's and a 146 Rtg. 536 rushing attempts for 2,521 yards and 41 TD's. He also caught 4 passes for 88 yrds and 3 TD's.

So after all of that he gets drafted by the Cowboys in the 4th rd after they failed to draft a couple QB's ahead of him. Seven QB's in total were drafted ahead of him.

He was 4th on the depth chart his rookie year but easily outplayed Showers and ended up the starter on day one after injuries to both Kellen Moore and Romo. The rest is history as he led the team to a 13-3 record and Rookie of the Year honors.

In his Cowboy career so far as a starter he's led the team to a 42-27 record. A team with questionable coaching throughout. A team with below average defense and special teams. A team with Jason Garrett as HC, Rod Marinelli as DC, Mike Nolan as DC, Richards as a defensive secondary coach.

His mother died of cancer in 2013 and he lost his brother last year to suicide.

He's been through so much all the while being the kind of man off the field that any parent would love their daughter to marry.

We've all seen his leadership on the field. He dives head first for TD's and first downs. He never gives up and goes down fighting till the end. His teammates say he's one of the best leaders they've ever played with and would break down walls to help him and the team win.

He played his first 4 years on his rookie contract. During that time and even including last year with the tag contract he rated the 28th QB in salary over that time.

Speaking of the tag last year, he didn't have to sign it and could've held out up until training camp without punishment. But not Dak. He wasn't going to let his teammates down. He knew that by participating in all the offseason program that he would be able to prove himself once the season started and earn a long term contract. He's been betting on himself from day 1. Before the ankle injury he was on pace to break Peyton Manning's single season passing yards.

A true testament to the player and man he was is when he suffered that hard to watch injury. The way his teammates rallied around him during that game and afterwards. And not just Cowboy players, but players through the league as they know what kind of a player and man he was.

Yet, after all of this, all the accolades, the 60% winning %, the 15 come from behind wins, the sacrifices he made not only on the field but off there is a very large group of CZ members who crap on him daily. They don't like being called haters, but the ones that crap on him every day, every thread and every post are indeed Haters. They disgust me and should be very ashamed of themselves.

Congrats to you Dak Prescott for not only getting what you deserve but also giving the TEAM a very friendly contract with a year 1 cap hit of only $22.5 mil. $33.2 mill 2nd year and $44.2 mil the 3rd year when the salary cap will have ballooned because of the TV contracts and the legalization of NFL betting.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Just think about much fun it's going to be watching the Dak haters whine about Dak day in and day out for the next 4 years. I can't decide if my favorite is the "Dak bet on himself and lost" guy or the "Dak will play on the tag and be gone from Dallas guy.." or maybe the "Dalton is every bit as good as Dak guy.." Oh what the hell, I plan to tweak them all from time to time!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Just think about much fun it's going to be watching the Dak haters whine about Dak day in and day out for the next 4 years. I can't decide if my favorite is the "Dak bet on himself and lost" guy or the "Dak will play on the tag and be gone from Dallas guy.." or maybe the "Dalton is every bit as good as Dak guy.." Oh what the hell, I plan to tweak them all from time to time!

I got you, dog...that is going to be fun, lets party!

Swagger

Reaction score
"A very team friendly contract..with a cap hit of only..$44.2 mil the 3rd year"
:lmao:
Are you honestly for real?
Surely you are just trolling and I'm good with that as long as you aren't actually being serious?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'll say this about Prescott....if the Linehan/Garrett situation was so bad (which is the consensus of many around here), then how was Prescott expected to win?

Doesn't he get a pass in that case?

And no QB in the history of the league could win with the defense they ran out there in early 2020.

His best days may be ahead of him. Wasnt worth the risk to watch him do it elsewhere while we spend years trying to find a replacement.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
"A very team friendly contract..with a cap hit of only..$44.2 mil the 3rd year"
:lmao:
Are you honestly for real?
Surely you are just trolling and I'm good with that as long as you aren't actually being serious?
Yes, for real. The salary cap will have ballooned by then and his 44.2 mil hit in year 3 will look like a bargain.

ShortRound

Reaction score
He's been through so much all the while being the kind of man off the field that any parent would love their daughter to marry.

lol alright dial it back some

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I got you, dog...that is going to be fun, lets party!

People who cite guys who got big deals and failed to deliver like Goff, Wentz, Garrapolo, Cousins et al, even Watson, are simply losing sight of one very salient fact. Dak is a different cat than all those guys. He's a team player and a leader. 105.3 just posted a quote from Jimmy saying "I don't believe he can carry a team." Which is hilarious given that Jimmy built his entire Super Bowl formula in Dallas on the premise of almost never asking Troy Aikman to "carry the team." He preferred to let Emmitt do the "carrying." It was great that Troy had that ability to step up 2-3 times a year and be the man but that team set about making Emmitt the focal point pretty early in Troy's career and pretty much stayed that way throughout it. The game has obviously changed in the last 20 years so more is asked of the QB than back in those days.. but I believe Dak is capable of doing all that is asked of him. We shall see..