Dallas blowing it with trade downs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree on McGovern. Collins is likely gone after this season and he will have a season under his belt to slide over at LG, while Williams goes to RT. The RB can return kicks and punts as well. But can be a solid guy behind Zeke, who can use more breathers. Not many guys taken in round three have an impact year 1. Looks like they stuck to their board.

I’ll feel better when I see Connor Williams taking snaps at right tackle.

:thumbup:

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what people want. DT was a huge need...drafted, the O-line has not been very good the last couple years...drafted, we needed a backup RB, the kid they drafted is pretty versatile and can return punts. Just my 2 cents worth.

jnday

Reaction score
Disagree on McGovern. Collins is likely gone after this season and he will have a season under his belt to slide over at LG, while Williams goes to RT. The RB can return kicks and punts as well. But can be a solid guy behind Zeke, who can use more breathers. Not many guys taken in round three have an impact year 1. Looks like they stuck to their board.
The McGovern pick totally puzzled me. Dallas has two nice back-ups that plays the interior positions. If anything, they should have invested in an OT. Maybe an OT that had the strength to kick inside if needed. I would have liked the pick to be used on a safety. Instead of trading back and drafting lesser rated prospects, why not package the picks to move up and draft a higher quality prospect, preferably a safety prospect?

jnday

Reaction score
I’ll feel better when I see Connor Williams taking snaps at right tackle.

:thumbup:
I like the ideal, but I have seen several sources stating that he does not have the ability to move to OT at this level. I hope those articles are wrong.

Wood

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what people want. DT was a huge need...drafted, the O-line has not been very good the last couple years...drafted, we needed a backup RB, the kid they drafted is pretty versatile and can return punts. Just my 2 cents worth.

probably should have packaged 5-7 round picks to move up for S. The concern here is Cowboys think they are ok with lloka.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the ideal, but I have seen several sources stating that he does not have the ability to move to OT at this level. I hope those articles are wrong.

Same here. I don’t see why he couldn’t. He excelled playing left tackle in college.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
My opinion is usually skewed by what I’ve seen from the player.

Sometimes I’m wrong but sometimes so are they. They are nothing special and anyone who follows football and the draft for most of their life can identify prospec s at a similar level to these clowns who pick punters and kickers in the 4th and 5th round.

NFL scouts don’t deserve to be put on a pedestal.

Oh come on, how much have you seen these 4th and 5th rounders play?

king987

Reaction score
I think it's becoming pretty clear that they don't value safeties as much as others do, which I completely disagree with. The rules in today's NFL might have limited what DBs can do to stop receivers, but a great safety is still immensely valuable. But that's just how they seem to think when they build the roster.

That said, after the Weber pick, I think it's clear they wanted ammunition to rebuild that RB room. With their originally six picks, there's no way they could double up on RB. But now, they got a trio that I'm interested in seeing.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I'm happy to ultimately be proven wrong, but I'm giving this draft a solid thumbs down to this point. Missed opportunity after missed opportunity.

:thumbdown:

I don't understand that attitude. The Cowboys already acquired a 3x Pro Bowl wide receiver with their 1st round pick, so that makes this a successful draft all by itself.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Striking me as being arrogant. Like they think they know better. When it looks like the exact opposite.

Safety and cornerback still unaddressed while they took two backups to sit behind the two best players at their position in the league in Elliott and Martin

:banghead:

Did we need to address CB?

Byron, Chido, Lewis, Brown aren't enough? Haha

visionary

Reaction score
This isnt team with alot of holes. Makes no sense to accumulate late round picks. Dallas tried this years ago and players just didn't stick. Instead of accumulating 6th & 7th rounders why not angle for 5th rounder in 2020. D- after first three selections.

This FO is great
Stop whining

Yadayadatada

Signed
CZ Homers

visionary

Reaction score
It's not worth getting bent out of shape at this point in the draft. You aren't going to be able to fill needs any at this point, and any player you draft that's even a marginal contributor is probably a better pick than 80-90% of the remaining players.

So should the draft be 2 rounds?

Someone should let the other NFL teams know they can't get good players on day 3

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh come on, how much have you seen these 4th and 5th rounders play?

This year.. Not much..

I’ll look at our picks but I put almost no time into the draft this year and it doesn’t look like the Cowboys didneither.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Byron is coming off of hip surgery. And both he and Brown are free agents next year. They needed to add to that group.

Can't we resign them? They're both still young. I don't see CB as a big need position right now. We have more depth there than most other spots.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Our late round picks are usually no names that only we covet

At least they chose guys with actual upside and not someone's pet cat that will turn into Leon Lett 1 out of 100 times

No more CBs and OTs we cut Day One

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't we resign them? They're both still young. I don't see CB as a big need position right now. We have more depth there than most other spots.

If you want to pay big money? Yeah. But we have a lot of guys with hands out already. I don’t think Byron is getting paid here.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
If you want to pay big money? Yeah. But we have a lot of guys with hands out already. I don’t think Byron is getting paid here.

Even if we don't pay Byron..I'd be pretty happy with Chido, Lewis and Brown.

I'd say we need to keep looking for deoth there..as we do for all positions..but I wouldn't say it's a need.