Dallas Coach resigns

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
:D

Johnson to replace Nelson immediately
ESPN.com news services

Don Nelson has resigned as Dallas Mavericks coach and been replaced by Avery Johnson, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports.

A press conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told ESPN.com that Nelson resigned Saturday "for family and other reasons."

He will stay with the Mavericks as a consultant.

Nelson, the second-winningest coach in NBA history, has missed several games in recent weeks to be with his wife while she recovers from surgery.

Nelson had been grooming Johnson to become his successor. Johnson has run most practices this season and has coached several games, sometimes with Nelson serving as an assistant. Johnson also had a 10-game stint in charge while Nelson was out following shoulder surgery. The Mavs went 7-3 in that span.

The Mavericks host the Charlotte Bobcats on Saturday (8:30 p.m. ET).

k19

Reaction score
Heard about that on my way back from Atlanta today. I figured it was only a matter of time, I believe Nelsons wife has been ill and had surgery not too long ago.

I think Avery is a good fit> Unfortunately he's left with the team Nelson wanted and not too many other would want. Hopefully thats not what happens to us a year or 2 down the road

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› said:
I think Avery is a good fit> Unfortunately he's left with the team Nelson wanted and not too many other would want. Hopefully thats not what happens to us a year or 2 down the road

Really?? I can think of a lot of teams that would want this roster, except for San Antonio (And maybe Detroit, Sacramento & Miami) if you were willing to swap squads every other team would say yes in a heartbeat. You've got an all-star in Dirk, young talented guards in Harris & Daniels, Terry playing well, Finley, defensive stud Howard, Dampier roaming the middle with Henderson, Bradley providing depth. That's 9 out of 12 that can play. Now, would the owners want to pay the salaries...hmmm, that's a different issue.

With Cuban I doubt you'll see a drop off in talent, he's willing to pay and take care of the players. You're doing something right if you've got Shaq and Jason Kidd publicly begging to come play for you...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
And the Pop Coaching Tree continues to grow. First Terry Porter and now the Little General. Soon all teams will be built on coaches who were influenced by Pop's defense. The entire league will only score 70 points a night. MUWAHAHA ;)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Avery Johnson is one class guy... and VERY smart...

Given time he will be a great coach... I hope Cuban gives him the chance...

That being said... Cuban loves the lime-light... I would not be surprised if Phil Jackson coaches here next year...