News: Dallas Cowboys: 3 players who must improve in Year Two

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The team certainly appears to be pretty high on him.

I saw nothing last season to suggest Dorance Armstrong has a bright future, but I hope the optimism is warranted and he makes a big jump in year two.

Even with Randy Gregory's status up n the air, it still may be difficult for Armstrong to get snaps at DE.

Unless Tyrone Crawford get moved inside full-time, I expect him to continue starting at RDE. Robert Quinn will get the most snaps there, but I expect his rushes will be monitored to keep him fresh.

DeMarcus Lawrence will return at LDE, but will be brought along slowly due to waiting on shoulder surgery.

Taco Charlton also had shoulder surgery, but in January, and should be good to go when training camp arrives. It's a big year for Taco, he needs to establish a role and show he belongs on the roster.

Kerry Hyder is also an option to rotate on the strongside, though most feel he will be used as an interior reserve.

And what if Gregory does get reinstated? He will have a spot as a designated pass rusher.

this was helpful, ty

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong makes a ton of sense. Dude has a huge opportunity in front of him with Quinn 1 and done, RG's issues and Taco's whatever. This guy could make a real difference if he performs well in the rotation. Like 5+ sacks.

CWill is going to start and play well...end of story.

Shultz will be on the 53 and should improve enough to label it as a jump. Like CWill, added weight n strength are his offseason targets. As a TE, Shultz has good routes, blocking, hands and ball security. Really want Moore to rotate TEs and not just leave #82 out there...he's not the only option anymore.

Liked the article, and learned how important DA can be...he is one of the whole class that needs the biggest jump.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: 3 players who must improve in Year Two
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/04/21/dallas-cowboys-3-players-improve-year-two/

...Dalton Schultz, TE
If the Cowboys draft a tight end later this week, Dalton Schultz could be fighting for a spot on the final 53-man roster this summer. The return of Jason Witten and the presence of fellow tight ends Blake Jarwin and Rico Gathers essentially locks the depth chart in Dallas including Schultz.

But throw in another prospect and/or veteran to the position this offseason, and suddenly the 2018 fourth rounder might find himself on the practice squad this year. Especially if Gathers takes a leap in his development.

Schultz began to show some signs of growth at the end of last season after a very slow start, recording 10 of his 12 regular season receptions after Week 11. As a fourth-round pick just last year, he’ll get every opportunity to earn himself a meaningful role in 2019. But Schultz can’t afford to take a step back in his development.

I would add Austin and Hurns to that list too. As far as TE, I just hope Witt doesn't gobble up 90% of the snaps and prevent Schultz and Jarwin from progressing. I wouldn't rule out TE in this draft either

davidariust24

Reaction score

...Dalton Schultz, TE
If the Cowboys draft a tight end later this week, Dalton Schultz could be fighting for a spot on the final 53-man roster this summer. The return of Jason Witten and the presence of fellow tight ends Blake Jarwin and Rico Gathers essentially locks the depth chart in Dallas including Schultz.

But throw in another prospect and/or veteran to the position this offseason, and suddenly the 2018 fourth rounder might find himself on the practice squad this year. Especially if Gathers takes a leap in his development.

Schultz began to show some signs of growth at the end of last season after a very slow start, recording 10 of his 12 regular season receptions after Week 11. As a fourth-round pick just last year, he’ll get every opportunity to earn himself a meaningful role in 2019. But Schultz can’t afford to take a step back in his development.
Connor William's, Gallup, Shultz and third year players like Jarwin and taco,

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

...Dalton Schultz, TE

...Dalton Schultz, TE

I dont think Shultz is really in jeopardy of losing a roster spot. I think if we add a TE in the second day, or early 3rd day, we may trade Jarwin. Jarwin has some trade value, and being a UDFA, anything we get back for him is a positive return on the investment

JayFord

Reaction score
Taco Charlton
Taco Charlton
&
Taco Charlton

He either becomes an impact player or we have to cut ties