News: Dallas Cowboys: 5 free agent targets in 2019

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: 5 free agent targets in 2019
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/13/dallas-cowboys-5-free-agent-targets-2019/

Unfortunately, several of the Cowboys’ weaknesses got exposed in their final game of the season, a 30-22 loss at the hands of the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday night. Now Dallas faces an offseason without a first-round selection and many of their stars looking for contract extensions. Although the Cowboys have been somewhat anti-free agency the past few years, their conservative front office may have no other choice than to make a big splash signing or two this offseason in an attempt to get this club over the playoff hump.

Here are five players we believe the Dallas Cowboys could target in free agency when the market opens up in March.

Earl Thomas, Safety

Analysis: It’s no secret. The Cowboys wanted Earl Thomas in Dallas last season. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to pay the price in order to secure him in a trade with Seattle. And that decision might have cost them a championship run in 2018.

Now, another year older and coming off a leg injury that limited him to four games, Thomas appears to be primed to hit free agency. The Cowboy still need a playmaker in their secondary, so the stars seem to align here...

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bargain bin free agents, but I'm also not a fan of spending big money on young veterans who haven't fully proved themselves, e.g. Olivier Vernon. Usually the most successful free agent signings are the older vets on their last contract. That's why I think a proven Earl Thomas on a short-term deal rather than some 26 year old safety would be the better option.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Landon Collins isn't a good player.

He's also going to sign a low money deal, because nobody wants that type of safety in today's NFL.

This. He’s closer to a LB than a safety in this modern NFL

Kaiser

Reaction score
Mehh, the issue with Earl Thomas wasn't Dallas be unwilling to trade, it was Dallas being unwilling to overpay for one season of ET. To do it they would have had to give up the pick we used on Williams or the pick we used to acquire Amari.

The first option means Sua-Filo starts all year and we give up 80 sacks. We know what the second option means, a six win season.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Great safeties are always great well into their 30’s. Earl at 30 is 100% a better option than any of the 25 year old alternatives.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Hell no to Eifert (can never stay on the field) and Earl Thomas (too old, expensive, and injury prone lately). The other three would be good gets. I still want a 325-330 lb 1 tech regardless what Marinelli wants.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I want Adam Humphries if his price isn't ridiculous.

Let Beasley walk.

Humphries is 24 or 25 and Beasley is in his 30's. If the price is similar go for Humphries.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Fleming was good in reserve of Smith
Wilson is a good base LB and ST player
Collins can't cover

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bargain bin free agents, but I'm also not a fan of spending big money on young veterans who haven't fully proved themselves, e.g. Olivier Vernon. Usually the most successful free agent signings are the older vets on their last contract. That's why I think a proven Earl Thomas on a short-term deal rather than some 26 year old safety would be the better option.

I agree. It seems like we went from signing a bunch of big-names to a bunch of no-names. I like the idea of vets on their last contract. It seems like Parcells did this well. He didn't bring in the biggest names, but he brought in solid vets that provided leadership and didn't break the salary cap.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great safeties are always great well into their 30’s. Earl at 30 is 100% a better option than any of the 25 year old alternatives.

Can't argue against this. If they can get ET for a reasonable contract. Then draft a S to groom would be very good.
I do believe they need 2 new starting S's though.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I might be old-fashioned, but I have always been a fan of having two big-bodies at DT, pushing the pocket back in the QB's face and keeping your LB's clean to move. I think LVE and Smith would just dominate the league if we went this way. Unfortunately, Rod does not agree with me. It just seems like the smaller DTs that are told to penetrate at any cost can get washed out way to easy if they face a skilled Olinemen and a good scheme.

To me, Woods with another wide body next to next him would be ideal. Bring in the lighter guys on obvious pass downs.

JeffG

Reaction score
Tyler Eifert is interesting. If he ever can get past his injuries, he will be an excellent NFL TE. But so far the guy is made of glass and paper.