Dallas Cowboys appear to have made a colossal mistake in 2022

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not an attack since I enjoy a lot of your takes, but I think you often opine just to be able to inject the term "Booger" in your comments. :laugh:
Well RL, if is concerns him, it will be "Booger" because I will never call him by his real name and that does upset some posters. They say I do not respect him and they're right, why should I?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just remember how the media and the talking heads constantly pointed out Cooper's stats after away games so let's wait for a few more of those and then we will see where we're at.
I think it was apparent, the honeymoon was over and they both wanted to go their separate ways.

Cooper is better off but I do not know if the Cowboys are.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys regretting questionable Amari Cooper trade?
Through three games, Cooper has been the most heavily targeted player in the Browns’ offense by a landslide. He’s got 27 targets in three games with 219 yards and two touchdowns on 19 receptions. After his performance on Thursday Night Football against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cooper became the first Cleveland receiver to have 100 yards in back-to-back games since the 2013 season (Josh Gordon).

Although everyone understood the financial motivations behind trading Cooper in the offseason, the Cowboys had no one to blame but themselves for the financial pickle they found themselves in. Although it’s only been two games for Dallas and we haven’t yet seen Michael Gallup, it’s clear that letting go of Cooper for a fifth-round pick in the offseason was a massive error by Jerry Jones and company.

Wide receiver is a premium position in today’s NFL. Although the Browns don’t have Deshaun Watson out there, Cooper has been able to help give their offense balance with the running game led by a dynamic two-headed monster of Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Cooper has been a security blanket for interim starter Jacoby Brissett who is managing the offense well and completing over 66 percent of his passes so far.

As the season rolls along, we’ll see how much the Dallas Cowboys truly miss a player like Cooper.

https://nflspinzone.com/2022/09/23/dallas-cowboys-colossal-mistake-2022/
ok, let me just set you straight....we didn't make a mistake in 2022, we made a mistake in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.......... 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and finally 2022.

that's Jerry for you.....

Jarntt

Reaction score
A couple of points:

It wasn't trading Cooper that was a mistake, it was trading him for a 5th round pick that was the mistake. To compound it, they waived the 5th round pick hoping to sneak him onto the practice squad and he was picked up by a division foe. Total disaster of a trade.

Also, Cooper's contract would have been easy to restructure to make his CAP impact this year pretty easy to fit. Trading Cooper was not about CAP. It was about Jerry having a bug up his bottom. The surest way to mess up a trade is to make it an emotional thing.
The 5th round pick wasn’t the mistake because we were going to cut him if no one wanted to take on his salary. The cap is not a one year math exercise. Those dollars were going to hit one way or the other. We need the space going forward more than we need Cooper this year to help us go one and down.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
We just need some Cd's And Lamb Chops and the Coop talk will die down. I'm hoping for a big night today.

Creeper

Reaction score
The 5th round pick wasn’t the mistake because we were going to cut him if no one wanted to take on his salary. The cap is not a one year math exercise. Those dollars were going to hit one way or the other. We need the space going forward more than we need Cooper this year to help us go one and down.

Believe me I understand how restructuring works but they Cowboys could have restructured Cooper in 2022 and still cut him or traded him in 2023 and get a CAP save. Jerry trashed Cooper in the media, then made it public he was trying to trade him, and then made it public if he couldn't trade him he would cut him. Why would anyone want to make a good offer for Cooper knowing Jerry was going to cut him?