News: Dallas Cowboys Defense: Regular Season Grades

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Defense: Regular Season Grades

http://thelandryhat.com/2017/01/06/dallas-cowboys-grades-defense/

At the end of the season, football fans tend to overanalyze and nitpick every aspect of their team’s season. What went right, what went wrong and what they need to do in the offseason to improve, etc.

When Dallas Cowboys fans reflected on the season this time last year, the feeling was a little different following a very disappointing 4-12 regular season record. This year, after going an amazing 13-3, Cowboy fans have the playoffs to look forward to. But with Dallas earning a first week bye in the postseason, now is as good a time as any for a little reflecting.

So, let’s talk about the performance of the Cowboys’ defense, a unit that really didn’t have high hopes heading into the season. Defensive backs Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne had yet to live up to their expectations when they were added to Dallas’ roster way back in 2012. Cornerback Orlando Scandrick was coming off a lost season in 2015 due to a torn ACL. And nobody was 100% sure rookie corner Byron Jones would make a seamless transition to safety in his second season.

At the linebacker position, questions swirled around the status of starting middle linebacker Rolando McClain following his suspension. And could weakside linebacker Sean Lee stay healthy and post yet another Pro Bowl worthy season?

Along the defensive line, many wondered if the Cowboys would be able to produce enough pass rush without two of their starting defensive ends, who were both also suspended for portions of the season...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The secondary was the weakest of the 3 units?! I don't know about that.

I agree. What has impressed me is how much improvement they have shown in zone coverage. I think this helps as Dallas is able to disguise coverage much better without giving up the big plays. In the past we had guys losing assignments within the zone coverage and giving up big plays now guys are where they need to be to deliver the hit man coverage I feel has been very good but expected.

If there has been one weakness on defense it has been lack of pass rush but even that has shown much improvement late in the season

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Most improved unit overall, IMO.

However, Dallas still struggles wit the middle of the field.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

I'd agree. But all 3 units have weaknesses. Over the first half of the season, the secondary was clearly the best of the 3. The other two made big strides, but over the duration of the season, I think our secondary was our biggest strength.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
If Mo had stayed healthy...things would have looked drastically different. Early in the season...the secondary was the strongest unit on defense. Especially when you consider how little support they got with pass rush.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

Exactly right.

Certainly improved - but certainly not good enough yet.

Of all the possible scenarios - the secondary is what could doom us in the end.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Defense ranked 26th in passing yards allowed.
Defense ranked 1st in rushing yards allowed.
You make the call.

They also gave up what? Only 1 100 yard receiver this year? I don't remember receivers going off on us. It seems like it was running backs and tight ends. IMO, the secondary is our best unit on defense. Pass rush is the major concern.

datmayne

Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-breakdown-of-the-leagues-top-players/page/20

Bleacher Report's rankings for all positions. Was so sick of all the Byron haters that don't actually watch the film but this is some proof that he had a great season, also technically his rookie Free safety season. He has been huge for this defense with how versatile he can be. Lawrence ranked 12th among all defensive ends is a surprise but he definitely has that potential. Claiborne at 19th among all cornerbacks. Think he could have been better than that with a full season. Overall, pleasantly surprised with the defense but there is also plenty of room for improvement.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Defense ranked 26th in passing yards allowed.
Defense ranked 1st in rushing yards allowed.
You make the call.

True but that was before we started getting healthy toward the end of the year and got Gregory back. Now he's gone, Lawrence is compromised and Irving is peaking but will probably draw double teams. It's CRITICAL that Mayowa, Crawford and the other Dends pick up the slack. I feel pretty good about it because McClain and Thornton and Collins and Co. will clog that middle like they normally do. Getting healthy at the right time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-breakdown-of-the-leagues-top-players/page/20

Bleacher Report's rankings for all positions. Was so sick of all the Byron haters that don't actually watch the film but this is some proof that he had a great season, also technically his rookie Free safety season. He has been huge for this defense with how versatile he can be. Lawrence ranked 12th among all defensive ends is a surprise but he definitely has that potential. Claiborne at 19th among all cornerbacks. Think he could have been better than that with a full season. Overall, pleasantly surprised with the defense but there is also plenty of room for improvement.

Welcome to site...and post as you did above, you are welcomed.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
So according to this article Landon Collins is only a smidge better than Barry Church. The pro bowl 5 sack 6 int Collins is just a tad better.

Get outta here