News: Dallas Cowboys Draft: Fixing the Pass Rush

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Draft: Fixing the Pass Rush
http://thelandryhat.com/2017/04/21/dallas-cowboys-draft-fixing-pass-rush/

...This group includes Tennessee’s Derek Barnett, Michigan’s Taco Charlton, and UCLA’s Takkarist McKinley. Of the three, McKinley is the best fit for the Cowboys. He possesses the most important traits Dallas needs in their defensive ends, elite quickness and long arms. Takk was a track star in high school and it is evident in his explosive burst off the snap...even compares this part of Takk’s game to that of Ware.

“[Takk McKinley] has excellent length and knows how to use his big hands to keep blockers off his frame. McKinley’s burst and timing are top-tier coming off the line of scrimmage,” Miller wrote recently. “He’s able to time the snap but also beats tackles with speed and great leverage. There’s some DeMarcus Ware to his game. Even with a shoulder injury, he stood out at the combine with his effort and willingness to play hurt.”

If the Cowboys’ team doctors feel comfortable with his recovery, management should have no reservations taking McKinley at the end of the first round. Takk would give Dallas the explosive edge rusher they have been sorely missing and drastically improve their chances of playing in early February.

diefree666

Reaction score
just trying to remember: how many years have we been trying to 'fix' the pass rush?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just trying to remember: how many years have we been trying to 'fix' the pass rush?
They added 2nd round pieces like Crawford in 2014, DLaw in 2014 and Gregory in 2015 but no first round DE picks since Ware in 2005.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I don't care how it's done but we need a war daddy or whatever the hell that means...

Bigdog

Reaction score
While this might be true, I have a hard time seeing the Cowboys pass on Derek Barnett if he is there at 28.
Exactly. If Barnett is there, ( unlikely) he should be the pick. He did it in college and mostly likely he will do it in the pros.

fishspill

Reaction score
And unfortunately dlaw is a bust and Gregory won't play again.
Looks a lot like the results the team got drafting 2nd round OL for so long. Gurode and Flozell were the only 2nd rounders worth much the last 20 years. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

Pants

Reaction score
"Fixing" and "Pass Rush" sounds greek to me together....unclear what that means....what gibberish is being spewed here???

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
If Marinelli believes he can get McDowell to give maximum effort for 35 + snaps/game, he's my first choice. Hands down. But Marinelli would have to be convinced he can coach him up.