Dallas Cowboys Draft: Round 1 WR Targets

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Watched the whole Mosher video. He did a great job of putting my biggest problems about these WRs into words... BTJ and McConkey just come from WR archetypes that bust a ton. The straight line, size/speed burner who can't run routes, well if that guy never learns how to run routes, he's Justin Hunter or Stephen Hill. And the tiny slot speed demon guys have an Andy Isabella type off-the-roster floor if they struggle early, since they can't play outside and usually can't play special teams.

I do like Adonai Mitchell though. I don't know if he quite plays as athletic as his freakish Combine, but he's a big WR who's also a separation machine. He's a great route runner, which kind of gets overshadowed by the testing numbers. It's not a perfect comp, but he kind of reminds me of Michael Pittman for the Colts - a big receiver who kind of has a smaller possession receiver's game. I'd take him at #24, and I think his game would mesh very well with Dak's.

Thomas is worth our pick too. His combo of size, speed, and instant acceleration is so rare and so potentially gamebreaking that you have to take a gamble on it, even if there is a decent chance it blows up on you. McConkey, I don't know about. He seems like a Round 2 guy.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Watched the whole Mosher video. He did a great job of putting my biggest problems about these WRs into words... BTJ and McConkey just come from WR archetypes that bust a ton. The straight line, size/speed burner who can't run routes, well if that guy never learns how to run routes, he's Justin Hunter or Stephen Hill. And the tiny slot speed demon guys have an Andy Isabella type off-the-roster floor if they struggle early, since they can't play outside and usually can't play special teams.

I do like Adonai Mitchell though. I don't know if he quite plays as athletic as his freakish Combine, but he's a big WR who's also a separation machine. He's a great route runner, which kind of gets overshadowed by the testing numbers. It's not a perfect comp, but he kind of reminds me of Michael Pittman for the Colts - a big receiver who kind of has a smaller possession receiver's game. I'd take him at #24, and I think his game would mesh very well with Dak's.

Thomas is worth our pick too. His combo of size, speed, and instant acceleration is so rare and so potentially gamebreaking that you have to take a gamble on it, even if there is a decent chance it blows up on you. McConkey, I don't know about. He seems like a Round 2 guy.
I’m at the offfice and having a brain cramp…who is BTJ again?

morasp

Reaction score
I like McConkey for his route running. He was graded in the 90th percentile for separation and 96th percentile for catchable targets.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Id be very happy with BTJ, AD Mitchell or Troy Franklin as realistic options.

I think all are 1st round studs that are just getting pushed down a bit due to the class having 3 legit blue chippers which is insane.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I love AD…his quickness and ability to get in and out of his breaks at his size is silly.

My comp should hit home bc it’s Lamb. AD probably gives you more deep speed while Lamb gave you more YAC and wow plays as a prospect.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not trying to be neg but there's close to zero chance 24 will be a WR.......

With the lack of free-agent activity, we have backed ourselves into a corner........the first three picks have to fill holes/replace starters.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not trying to be neg but there's close to zero chance 24 will be a WR.......

With the lack of free-agent activity, we have backed ourselves into a corner........the first three picks have to fill holes/replace starters.
Sad but true.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If McConkey goes to the right offense he will be a handful to deal with on the pro level.

Pet cat. Outdoor but with one of those cat doors if he wants to come inside.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Another reason why this offseason is crap.

We should absolutely be looking at WR in rd 1. We won't because we've painted ourselves into OT, no matter what.

And we probably won't look reciever until later either, because we also need LB, RB, DT, DE, C too. And most of those positions don't have as much talent in this draft as WR, so invariably we will be forcing ourselves to take lesser rated players.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another reason why this offseason is crap.

We should absolutely be looking at WR in rd 1. We won't because we've painted ourselves into OT, no matter what.

And we probably won't look reciever until later either, because we also need LB, RB, DT, DE, C, arguably CB too. And those positions don't have as much talent in this draft as WR, so invariably we will be forcing ourselves to take lesser rated players.
Rest that mind. They feel good about Jalen Tolbert and Jalen Brooks.

J-man

Reaction score
So many great and really good WR's in this class that I wouldn't take one in RD 1. Unless, all other viable RD 1 positions (OL, DE, DT) are wiped out and one of the very top guys falls. And I absolutely would take a really good WR over just a good CB, I see both as needs, but not huge needs.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
So many great and really good WR's in this class that I wouldn't take one in RD 1. Unless, all other viable RD 1 positions (OL, DE, DT) are wiped out and one of the very top guys falls. And I absolutely would take a really good WR over just a good CB, I see both as needs, but not huge needs.
My thoughts exactly. For me, if Murphy,Newton, or Verse are sitting there at 24 I’d probably take one of them. Still love JPJ but the talk about a hip issue gives me pause. We’re not lucky enough to have Fautanu fall to us. Barton I think will be seriously considered.