Dallas Cowboys draft series: Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys draft series: Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox
10:21 AM Wed, Apr 22, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2009/04/dallas-cowboys-draft-series-abilene-chri.html

Johnny Knox - WR - Abilene Christian - Click here for funny video clips

Size: 5-11 3/4, 185

Combine 40-yard dash: 4.29

POSITIVES

Knox has sprinter's speed that translates to the football field. He's a deep threat who can also turn a short pass into a big play. He has excellent quickness and burst. Knox has good hands and does a good job adjusting to the ball in the air. He has some experience returning punts and kickoffs, although his special teams production in college wasn't nearly as impressive as his receiving stats (118 catches, 2,227 yards, 30 TDs in two seasons at Abilene Christian).

NEGATIVES

It's a huge jump from Division II to the NFL. Knox, who attended junior college before going to Abilene Christian, needs to refine his route running. He has thin legs, so his lack of lower body strength is an issue. He doesn't break many tackles. He's willing to block, but he does so with limited effectiveness.

COWBOY FIT

Knox, who works well in the slot, could provide a big-play threat to a receiving corps heavy on possession receivers. However, he'd have a hard time cracking the receiver rotation as a rookie, and he might not be able to contribute on special teams. He's projected to be a mid- to late-round pick.

SCRAPBOOK

Small-school prospects can have big impact (South Florida Sun-Sentinel)

Patient Knox comes up big for ACU in key contests (Abilene Reporter-News)

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hey Joe, is this kid still projected to go around 5th-6th? With all the guys zooming up the board and all.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2740590 said:
Hey Joe, is this kid still projected to go around 5th-6th? With all the guys zooming up the board and all.

im hearing anywhere from 4th to 6th, probably low 4th to 5th round

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
4th is too rich for my blood, knox is not that good as a returner, add that to skinny frame, small school experience & that lowers his value on my board_even w/his speed and hands he is still a one dimensional project

i still like him, but not that high

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2740624 said:
4th is too rich for my blood, knox is not that good as a returner, add that to skinny frame, small school experience & that lowers his value on my board_even w/his speed and hands he is still a one dimensional project

i still like him, but not that high

i think i see him going high in the 5th round;

Woods

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2740644 said:
i think i see him going high in the 5th round;

Yhea, I think that would be fair value for him.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Some team will over value and pick him in the 3rd. The guy has PROJECT written all over him.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2740868 said:
Some team will over value and pick him in the 3rd. The guy has PROJECT written all over him.

i think he wont go higher than the 4th round slate,

goose, gooselin said something the other day, that teams will pick above 10 to 15 slots for players for need and best player aviilable

so, he was sloted to go in 5th to 6th round, i see him going as high as lower round of the 4th round; not more than say the 20th to 32nd piick of the 4th round

whereas a guy like mcgee, scheduled to go 4th to 5th round can go in the low 3rd rounds

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He may drop to the lower 5th, 6th even. There are blue chip WRs being pushed down due to their knuckleheadedness.

But these characters will be too good to pass up in the middle rounds, pushing the lesser known players down lower than they were projected. Happens every year.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741017 said:
He may drop to the lower 5th, 6th even. There are blue chip WRs being pushed down due to their knuckleheadedness.

But these characters will be too good to pass up in the middle rounds, pushing the lesser known players down lower than they were projected. Happens every year.

i dont think he will get pushed down, he isnt a knucklhead, as you know, so that will make him more valuable;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Not what I meant. I meant the blue chip knuckleheads who free fall (Tate, Harvin, etc.) will push him down.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741034 said:
Not what I meant. I meant the blue chip knuckleheads who free fall (Tate, Harvin, etc.) will push him down.

i dont think so bat, more and more teams now are going away from the knuckleheads,

its like im from lufkin ok, and there is a player here, if he had his head on right, he could be an outstanding fullback, javorski lane, but he sulks, doesnt want to work, gains weight, in fact he is at 305 pounds now,

so he wont even get drafted now, and if he does it will be in the 7th round, teams are starting to leave the knuckleheads alone.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741047 said:
i dont think so bat, more and more teams now are going away from the knuckleheads,

its like im from lufkin ok, and there is a player here, if he had his head on right, he could be an outstanding fullback, javorski lane, but he sulks, doesnt want to work, gains weight, in fact he is at 305 pounds now,

so he wont even get drafted now, and if he does it will be in the 7th round, teams are starting to leave the knuckleheads alone.

That's not good news for us then.:p:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741055 said:
That's not good news for us then.:p:

yes and no, i think if knox goes, it will be at end of 4th round or in 5th round
we have a 2nd, 3rd, high 3rd trade that down, get an extra 4th in deal, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th and 5th, 6th and 6th and 7th, 7th,

that extra 4th could allow you by trading down in 3rd, get an extra 4th and maybe an extra 7th, you could use one of the 7th and 5th to move back up into 4th if you wanted to, for example

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741137 said:
yes and no, i think if knox goes, it will be at end of 4th round or in 5th round
we have a 2nd, 3rd, high 3rd trade that down, get an extra 4th in deal, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th and 5th, 6th and 6th and 7th, 7th,

that extra 4th could allow you by trading down in 3rd, get an extra 4th and maybe an extra 7th, you could use one of the 7th and 5th to move back up into 4th if you wanted to, for example

You don't need to convince me, I prefer trading down. Unfortunately, adding more picks to the 11 we already have may not be the Cowboys War Room strategy. Bundling picks and moving up is more likely. But I love the middle rounds of this draft and there are nice options there.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741145 said:
You don't need to convince me, I prefer trading down. Unfortunately, adding more picks to the 11 we already have may not be the Cowboys War Room strategy. Bundling picks and moving up is more likely. But I love the middle rounds of this draft and there are nice options there.

im not saying adding more picks to the 11, im saying when we all get through with trading around, come out with this many draft picks;
2nd
3rd,
3rd
4th,
4th
4th
5th
5th
5th

thats what im hpping the cowboys can do, load up in the 2nd to 5th round, get those gems in that area