News: Dallas Cowboys fans should be excited for the draft

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys fans should be excited for the draft
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/18/dallas-cowboys-fans-excited-draft/

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan means you commit to a few things that just are what they are:
  1. Expectations will almost always exceed productivity.
  2. You’re always relevant even if you’re not dominant.
  3. Free agency is for everyone else, not you.
Whether or not it’s a good thing is debatable. If your team participates in free agency smartly, it can take you all the way to the Super Bowl. Look no further than this year’s Philadelphia Eagles for that example. If done wrong, however, it can really hurt your franchise as the 2011 and 2012 Eagles can attest to. As for the Dallas Cowboys, the draft has been very good to this team. Over the past five years, specifically, the Cowboys have been able to procure talent at several different positions. The biggest reason for this has been the voice of Will McClay.

McClay, the Cowboys’ vice president of pro personnel has been a major player in the Dallas “war room.” Since 2013, McClay’s voice has been just as prominent as owner Jerry Jones, Executive Vice President Stephen Jones or head coach Jason Garrett. McClay, along with son Stephen are the big reasons why Travis Frederick and Zack Martin are on this team. They are also huge reasons why Johnny Manziel is not. If those moves do not move you to excitement, just look at the players brought in since 2013.

Frederick, Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Anthony Hitchens, Byron Jones, Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins, Dak Prescott, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods have all been quality starters on teams that have won 46 games in five. Twelve starters with five seasons or less of experience is a good way to build a foundation. It also helps when you have the ammunition to do so...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I always look forward to the draft but it’s a crapshoot. It always has been and always will be. You don’t need a top 10 pick to end up with a great player and having a top 10 pick certainly doesn’t guarantee a great player. Most of the players in the Hall of Fame weren’t drafted in the first round. Drafting a player at a need position doesn’t always mean you’ve solved that need. You’ll find that out once the player puts on the pads in NFL games. The draft is full of busts and diamonds in the rough. Draft grades immediately after the draft mean squat. Drafts can’t be graded until around year three.

I’ve seen too many war rooms and fans jumping up and down after selecting a player they coveted only to be throwing in the towel on that player by year two or three. There’s good, bad and great players in every round of the draft. A lot of it comes down to luck. You draft a player at 19 only to see a player drafted at #23 turn into an All Pro by year two or three, while the player you took at 19 can’t even stay on the field due to injuries or poor performance. That’s the draft in a nutshell.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
and all this great drafting has gotten u s what how many playoff wins how many championship games

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm always excited about the draft. I look at it as the next offensive possession for my team, it's the next chance we have to score.

Go Cowboys:thumbup:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still prefer the old draft format better. Enjoyed having the entire draft on the weekend. This primetime extravaganza where they spread the draft out over three days doesn’t do it for me. I’m just too old school.

Agreed. I loved the old draft format where they did the whole thing in one day. It was Mel Kiper from 10AM Saturday until the end of round 12......

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed. I loved the old draft format where they did the whole thing in one day. It was Mel Kiper from 10AM Saturday until the end of round 12......

I believe the first day (Saturday) was rounds one through three and Sunday was rounds four through 7 when they reduced the draft to seven rounds. Today tuning into the NFL draft is like tuning into the Oscars. It’s a red carpet affair where the top players are treated like royalty. They’re strutting and swaggering around like hot shots until some of them get to training camp and you start finding out a few can’t play at the NFL level. Now that they have all that money some aren’t ready to go to work. The pressure of living up to the high expectations everyone has for them gets the better of them.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the first day (Saturday) was rounds one through three and Sunday was rounds four through 7 when they reduced the draft to seven rounds. Today tuning into the NFL draft is like tuning into the Oscars. It’s a red carpet affair where the top players are treated like royalty. They’re strutting and swaggering around like hot shots until some of them get to training camp and you start finding out a few can’t play at the NFL level. Now that they have all that money some aren’t ready to go to work. The pressure of living up to the high expectations everyone has for them gets the better of them.

ESPN ruined it and round 1 is almost unwatchable now. There is a lot less drama b/c teams now have an entire day between rounds 1,2 and 3 to plan and reorganize.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I still remember how excited everyone was after we drafted Randy Gregory. He shows up to training camp and all we hear about is him barfing up his lunch every day. That was the first sign something wasn’t right with him. I remember twice they showed videos of him being helped off the practice field with a tummy ache.

rags747

Reaction score
I still remember how excited everyone was after we drafted Randy Gregory. He shows up to training camp and all we hear about is him barfing up his lunch every day. That was the first sign something wasn’t right with him. I remember twice they showed videos of him being helped off the practice field with a tummy ache.
I would still love to see him hit the field though and yes when Gregory slipped to round 2 I was screaming for Jerry to take him. Thought for sure we had hit a home run...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would still love to see him hit the field though and yes when Gregory slipped to round 2 I was screaming for Jerry to take him. Thought for sure we had hit a home run...

I gave up on Gregory a long time ago and I would advise everyone else to do the same. He can’t be depended on and he’s missed too much time.

diefree666

Reaction score
it was already rumored at the draft that Gregory had failed the combine drug test so I was horrified that we picked him. Anyone either dumb enough or without the self control to not fail THE ONE TEST EVERYONE KNEW WAS COMING is not someone I wanted on the team.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Still prefer the old draft format better. Enjoyed having the entire draft on the weekend. This primetime extravaganza where they spread the draft out over three days doesn’t do it for me. I’m just too old school.
I did too. The blurry eyed all nighters made you feel battle tested. Now this retail version is just barely satisfactory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I did too. The blurry eyed all nighters made you feel battle tested. Now this retail version is just barely satisfactory.

I preferred getting up on Saturday morning and snacking all day watching the draft. Having the first round in primetime on Thursday just isn’t doing it for me. The draft has become too glitzy with a red carpet and all the pageantry. It’s a bit overblown but I’m sure some fans love it.