Video: Dallas Cowboys High Interest in Joseph Ossai | Joseph Ossai Draft Profile

cnuball21

Reaction score
All of his Pro Day results. I have no idea what he did or did not run, I only saw the numbers posted.

Explosion numbers. So yes, his 40, 20, Broad and Vert.

Ojulari isn't a DE in the Pros, at this point, IMO. He's a 34 OLB but having said this, why is one OK but not the other? I mean, I have not seen his combine numbers but he's small, he's not particularly fast so I don't see how you get around his 240 lbs if he's playing on the DL. Also, how do you know he will be available? I don't have anything against Ojulari but he's not the LEO IMO. He would need to be cat quick and pretty fast to compensate for his size or be bigger.

JMO

Right, so he he didn’t complete the drills which measure short area quickness and ability to turn and bend. Those are my specific concerns so the fact he didn’t do those drills is alarming.

Ojulari is the opposite. He’s the best pass rusher in the class IMO and can turn turn on a dime to win the edge. He needs to gain weight but he has surprising power for a smaller dude. Go watch him...if you think Ossai is on the same planet as a prospect I’d be shocked. He is the kind of athlete you need playing that Leo role to be able to drop in coverage and cover the flat or a zone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right, so he he didn’t complete the drills which measure short area quickness and ability to turn and bend. Those are my specific concerns so the fact he didn’t do those drills is alarming.

Ojulari is the opposite. He’s the best pass rusher in the class IMO and can turn turn on a dime to win the edge. He needs to gain weight but he has surprising power for a smaller dude. Go watch him...if you think Ossai is on the same planet as a prospect I’d be shocked. He is the kind of athlete you need playing that Leo role to be able to drop in coverage and cover the flat or a zone.

I see, so you know this for a fact, correct? I'm asking because I don't. But that doesn't matter. You said you have watched this player. If you have, how do you have concerns about his ability to change direction and turn and move. I mean, his ability to run and chase is his best asset. How many games did you actually watch him in last year?

I've watched Georgia 3 times this year. Ojulari is not going to be a 275 guy imo but if he does get there, will he carry over his speed and quickness. His frame does not carry the size that other Edge rushers do IMO. But who cares, the question I asked you is, can you say for sure that the Cowboys will get Ojulari? If you can not, then why are we having this conversation?

The team is scouting Ossai. I don't know what their thoughts on him are or what individual drills they may have had him run but I know that they sent McClay, Garza and Hall to scout Ossai, Sterns, Elinger, Cosmi and Eagles. Clearly, they have some interest there. They would not be scouting him if our DC didn't think he was a fit for LEO.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I see, so you know this for a fact, correct? I'm asking because I don't. But that doesn't matter. You said you have watched this player. If you have, how do you have concerns about his ability to change direction and turn and move. I mean, his ability to run and chase is his best asset. How many games did you actually watch him in last year?

I've watched Georgia 3 times this year. Ojulari is not going to be a 275 guy imo but if he does get there, will he carry over his speed and quickness. His frame does not carry the size that other Edge rushers do IMO. But who cares, the question I asked you is, can you say for sure that the Cowboys will get Ojulari? If you can not, then why are we having this conversation?

The team is scouting Ossai. I don't know what their thoughts on him are or what individual drills they may have had him run but I know that they sent McClay, Garza and Hall to scout Ossai, Sterns, Elinger, Cosmi and Eagles. Clearly, they have some interest there. They would not be scouting him if our DC didn't think he was a fit for LEO.

I’m not sure what you’re asking with the first question but yes...I’ve watched him a few times and my concerns remain about his ability to change direction.

He’s a great run and chase player...but that’s usually running in a straight line which I agree he’s good at.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m not sure what you’re asking with the first question but yes...I’ve watched him a few times and my concerns remain about his ability to change direction.

He’s a great run and chase player...but that’s usually running in a straight line which I agree he’s good at.

That's what LEO does. OK well, makes no sense to argue with you. i don't think you have watched him play. If you had, you would know that this is not a concern for Ossai. Either way, the team scouted him so I'm sure they will figure out what he can do.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That's what LEO does. OK well, makes no sense to argue with you. i don't think you have watched him play. If you had, you would know that this is not a concern for Ossai. Either way, the team scouted him so I'm sure they will figure out what he can do.

Again, I’ve watched him several times and have looked at scouting reports that agree...perfectly fine that you disagree just sharing my thoughts and what I’ve seen and read.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Again, I’ve watched him several times and have looked at scouting reports that agree...perfectly fine that you disagree just sharing my thoughts and what I’ve seen and read.

I just don't understand this. How can you be worried about his short area quickness if you've watched him. It's like the best thing he does. I mean, I don't understand. What have you seen from him that makes you feel concerned? What have you read that makes you disbelieve what you've seen? Can you give an example?

This is a vid of Ossai from his Jr. year. I mean, you can watch him and see that he's not a guy who just rushes to a point on the field and then gets to the ball carrier. He's exactly the opposite of that. He doesn't stay blocked and typically, it's because he can change direction and get off blocks. I just don't get where you are coming from if you've watched him play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

What scouting reports? I'd be interested in seeing what they are saying because I've watched him. He has no issues changing direction or being sudden. His problem is not agility, once he gets started.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I just don't understand this. How can you be worried about his short area quickness if you've watched him. It's like the best thing he does. I mean, I don't understand. What have you seen from him that makes you feel concerned? What have you read that makes you disbelieve what you've seen? Can you give an example?

This is a vid of Ossai from his Jr. year. I mean, you can watch him and see that he's not a guy who just rushes to a point on the field and then gets to the ball carrier. He's exactly the opposite of that. He doesn't stay blocked and typically, it's because he can change direction and get off blocks. I just don't get where you are coming from if you've watched him play.

Per NFL.Com Player Profile

"He's long but has some hip tightness that limits his ability to hold the point of attack and bend the edge as a rusher."
"Hip tightness diminish bend when running the arc."

Per WalterFootball:

"Ossai has pass-rush upside with speed and a good motor, but he has issues with stiffness."

Per TDN:

"Right now, Ossai doesn’t have the flexibility and change of direction skills required to play man coverage, and his feel in zone coverage is not sufficient."

Per Dane Brugler on the Draft Show (paraphrasing):

"More of a high motor / effort guy than a twitched up athlete."

You clearly disagree, which again is fine, just sharing my viewpoint and concerns on the player. For me, if I see someone that isn't overly fluid on tape or the scouting reports talk about "stiff hips" for a pass rusher there is a blinking red warning light.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Per NFL.Com Player Profile

"He's long but has some hip tightness that limits his ability to hold the point of attack and bend the edge as a rusher."
"Hip tightness diminish bend when running the arc."

Per WalterFootball:

"Ossai has pass-rush upside with speed and a good motor, but he has issues with stiffness."

Per TDN:

"Right now, Ossai doesn’t have the flexibility and change of direction skills required to play man coverage, and his feel in zone coverage is not sufficient."

Per Dane Brugler on the Draft Show (paraphrasing):

"More of a high motor / effort guy than a twitched up athlete."

You clearly disagree, which again is fine, just sharing my viewpoint and concerns on the player. For me, if I see someone that isn't overly fluid on tape or the scouting reports talk about "stiff hips" for a pass rusher there is a blinking red warning light.

I do disagree, because I'm not reaching my opinions on this player, from written reviews. I'm watching him play. As I said all along, watch the guy play. You can see that a lot of this comes from the fact that he's starting from a disadvantage every snap. Somebody needs to get with him and teach him how to time snaps. He is always the last one out of his stance off the snap and yet, he bets his guy to the spot. Get him with a DWare, somebody who was famous for being so quick off the snap that he would incorrectly be called for Offsides regularly, teach him how to time stuff up and this stuff goes away. To me, this is classic lazy evaluation work. I see it all the time on these reviews.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I do disagree, because I'm not reaching my opinions on this player, from written reviews. I'm watching him play. As I said all along, watch the guy play. You can see that a lot of this comes from the fact that he's starting from a disadvantage every snap. Somebody needs to get with him and teach him how to time snaps. He is always the last one out of his stance off the snap and yet, he bets his guy to the spot. Get him with a DWare, somebody who was famous for being so quick off the snap that he would incorrectly be called for Offsides regularly, teach him how to time stuff up and this stuff goes away. To me, this is classic lazy evaluation work. I see it all the time on these reviews.

I did...I watched the guy play and I looked at scouting reports. I've stated in 3 posts now that I've watched him on tape.

I don't mind a different view of opinion, that's the purpose of these forums, but I said I've watched him 3 times now and you're calling it "lazy evaluation" which is ironic bc at this point it's almost like you don't believe me that I've watched him.

Let's just move along man.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did...I watched the guy play and I looked at scouting reports. I've stated in 3 posts now that I've watched him on tape.

I don't mind a different view of opinion, that's the purpose of these forums, but I said I've watched him 3 times now and you're calling it "lazy evaluation" which is ironic bc at this point it's almost like you don't believe me that I've watched him.

Let's just move along man.

It's hard. He's showing you, in every game, that his ability to change directions and his acceleration to the ball is not an issue, at all. But I hear you saying that it still is. I mean, how do you match that up?

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's hard. He's showing you, in every game, that his ability to change directions and his acceleration to the ball is not an issue, at all. But I hear you saying that it still is. I mean, how do you match that up?

Easy...my eyes see it differently than yours do.

Do we want to keep posting this back and forth or are we all set?