News: Dallas Cowboys: It’s time to start giving Dak Prescott some credit

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not necessarily. We are a bad Redzone team. You can improve numbers Offensively and still not improve scoring. We are not a very good Redzone scoring Offense and I don't think you can hang that on passing accuracy. I mean, I'm sure some of it might be predicated on that but not the majority. If it is, I would like to see data supporting that. IMO, the problem with Redzone scoring is play calling. Also, I don't agree with the whole passing in the redzone idea. Certainly passing as a means to keep defenses off balance is important but we have sank a lot of money into this OL. We are a power running team. Our Offense is designed to go through Zeke. If we are suggesting that the pass is the way to go here, then we have bigger problems then Dak and his accuracy IMO.
I agree that we are a bad red zone team. I think there are multiple reasons for that. one of them is scheme, I have seen too many plays inside the 10 and 5, were WRs are just running to an area and kind of hanging out, not separating from CBs, etc. In that area you need to run some crossing routes, fade routes, etc. given the CBs are in a tight area and don't have to worry about the deep pass. With that said, Dak hasn't been able to hit the Recievers and when he does they have not made plays. against Titans, he threw and Int. against Atlanta Beasley couldn't pull it in. I think you have to have the threat of a pass in the redzone, because otherwise teams load up on the line and stop the run. everything is tighter in that area including running lanes.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ambar Garcia on "The Break" just diagnosed Dak Prescott perfectly. She said, "Dak just needs a better coach".

keysersoze

Reaction score
not sure why that's relevant. as I have said about 38 times already. every QB needs good players around them. its what they are capable of doing when they have those resources. those QBs take good players and make them great and elite. they do the spectacular. they push the boundries of greatness themselves.... Dak dabbles in the average.

you still haven't explained why your questions is relevant to any discussion here.....
It’s relevant because Dak is just now getting a receiver who threatens defenses. Witten was on his last leg and the Oline has shown signs of declining. Aside from Zeke he’s had less than you all claim he’s had. And he’s done well considering he’s a young 4th round quarterback in his 3rd season. But your agenda won’t allow you to admit as much.

keysersoze

Reaction score
So, FIH, your ok then with scoring in 1 minute, and letting the other team back on the field? In my world, and I may be the exception, but a good balanced offense, that goes out, burns the TOP, keeps the other QB off the field usually wins. We see this wild west gun it down field 40 yard passing attacks, Qb ends up with some 400+ passing yards and guess what.... most times, they lose. Can't have it both ways, we are who we are, a ground, smash mouth run you into the ground style team. Dak has shown PLENTY of times, when it's there, and doesn't lead to some dumbarsed try to squeeze it in anyway pass that leads to an INT, he is good hitting that receiver for whatever it comes to after the whistle calls it dead. I mean, it's complete *******ery to complain that Dak can't/won't throw the super duper breathe taking, gasp, gasp gasp deep ball that has a sub par % to complete and most likely turn into a int, then have him actually PROTECT the ball and keep his offense on the field. I prefer the latter anyday to a guy like another known and fanned over name on here who KILLED us with stupid INT's at about every crucial moment in a game. Nope, I'll take the squeak it out wins ALL day over the we gota throw deep 50 times a game for 25 picks any day. Run the ball, mix up the passing game and keep the opposing offense OFF the field. Just think back to 2016, how may of you 'give me the super duper, extra loooooong deep ball 200 PR 1000 yd gamers would LOVE to have just 30 or 40 more seconds OFF that clock handing the ball back to Rodgers? nuff, I'm done, when Dak beats the Saints come Thursday, come on back and trash him some more. I and other will be here waiting........
:hammer:Enough Said

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s relevant because Dak is just now getting a receiver who threatens defenses. Witten was on his last leg and the Oline has shown signs of declining. Aside from Zeke he’s had less than you all claim he’s had. And he’s done well considering he’s a young 4th round quarterback in his 3rd season. But your agenda won’t allow you to admit as much.
as parcells use to say, by end of year 3, you know what a player is and you have what you have.... this 3rd season stuff is BS.....

keysersoze

Reaction score
as parcells use to say, by end of year 3, you know what a player is and you have what you have.... this 3rd season stuff is BS.....
You cannot fairly evaluate a young quarterback when his line is injury riddled, he has no solid TE, his WR core is inadequate and his coaching is subpar. This is why a first round pick was traded for Cooper. To see if Dak can improve with a legitimate threat at receiver. So far, we are seeing improvement. Whether you and the others admit it or not.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree that we are a bad red zone team. I think there are multiple reasons for that. one of them is scheme, I have seen too many plays inside the 10 and 5, were WRs are just running to an area and kind of hanging out, not separating from CBs, etc. In that area you need to run some crossing routes, fade routes, etc. given the CBs are in a tight area and don't have to worry about the deep pass. With that said, Dak hasn't been able to hit the Recievers and when he does they have not made plays. against Titans, he threw and Int. against Atlanta Beasley couldn't pull it in. I think you have to have the threat of a pass in the redzone, because otherwise teams load up on the line and stop the run. everything is tighter in that area including running lanes.

I agree, and I think that this is what I was saying, or at least trying to say, in my earlier post. However, the fact is that you use the passing game to help the running game. We are a running team and our Offense needs to go through the running game. Until we commit to that, we are always going to have problems in the Redzone. The passing game has to be a piece of the puzzle and Dak's ability to extend and to use his size in the Red Zone is critical to that success but it's the run game that has to be the focal point IMO.

Dre11

Reaction score
and Dak didn't? and doesn't....again.... they make their teams great when given the talent....Dak goes from bad to average....

Lol...you're crazy, Dak was Rookie of the year with talent, fell off in 2017 without Zeke, was fine with him, struggled without a wr corps and so did Zeke early this year, got talent and now has looked fine.

Dre11

Reaction score
again, and again the love is blind bunch..... dak makes plays, but is inconsistent, far and few in between..... as I said. he is a bus driver and nothing wrong with that.... do you have picture of top less dak on your ceiling?

As I said 90% of the qbs in the league are bus drivers. You win with bus drivers...as I said he's in his 3rd year as a 4th rounder, never missed a start, 28-16 in 2 1/2 years.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said 90% of the qbs in the league are bus drivers. You win with bus drivers...as I said he's in his 3rd year as a 4th rounder, never missed a start, 28-16 in 2 1/2 years.

Hasn't missed a start cause he's worried if Rush get out there with the 1st team he just might not have a job to come back to.
Get ready for a replay of last season when we were 5-3 after the Chiefs game and Dak sunk us right out of the playoffs....the pain starts Tomorrow night....

Dre11

Reaction score
Hasn't missed a start cause he's worried if Rush get out there with the 1st team he just might not have a job to come back to.
Get ready for a replay of last season when we were 5-3 after the Chiefs game and Dak sunk us right out of the playoffs....the pain starts Tomorrow night....

Lol...you're crazy, Rush will be gone in a year or two...lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol...you're crazy, Rush will be gone in a year or two...lol

Make sure its not INEPT Dak who will be a distant memory.....and a BAD one at that....!!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You cannot fairly evaluate a young quarterback when his line is injury riddled, he has no solid TE, his WR core is inadequate and his coaching is subpar. This is why a first round pick was traded for Cooper. To see if Dak can improve with a legitimate threat at receiver. So far, we are seeing improvement. Whether you and the others admit it or not.
when you surround any player with other great player, they automatically become better. the question is given Cooper and a great OL and a Great TE, and a great RB can Dak take the team to an elite level or just better level. that's the difference between a great QB and an average one. that's the whole point. Other great QBs have similar weapons and they offenses are elite. and part of the issue with the OL lies with Dak. our running game doesn't seem to suffer, but passing seems to struggle mightily. Also, we are a running team first, not a QB driven team. this team is based on Zeke and what he means to the team. in games he rushed for less than 100 yards we are 1-4. we have been average passing when we lose or when we win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol...you're crazy, Dak was Rookie of the year with talent, fell off in 2017 without Zeke, was fine with him, struggled without a wr corps and so did Zeke early this year, got talent and now has looked fine.
Rookie of the year is for TV, ESPN and the fans. its meaningless. he was rookie of the year, so is there a sophomore of the year? and a 3rd year player of the year. this is a zeke based offense, no doubt about it. when zeke rushed for less than 100, we are 1-4. passing has been average when we lose or win. which simply shows its not about Dak or his abilities.

and when you surround any player with top talent, they obviously will become better. that's natural. the question is what can you do with them when you have them and make the offense elite. Given those resources to Goff, they are playing at elite level. given those resources to Wentz and the offense was top 5. Dak had those resources, he was average. now with cooper, a great WR, he is better, but still average.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so in your opinion, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Luck, Goff, Brees, are all bus drivers.....awesome......

he dropped to 4th round, because he had flaws in his game. in his 3rd year it doesn't matter what round he was drafted. Antonio brown was a 6th rounder. Brady was a 6th rounder and won the superbowl in his 3rd year. expectations change.

he is 28-16 in 2.5 years. he is 15-12 in the last 1.5 years...... and if he continues at this pace, he is rushing towards average after a 13-3 start that was mostly because of Zeke.

Dre11

Reaction score
Rookie of the year is for TV, ESPN and the fans. its meaningless. he was rookie of the year, so is there a sophomore of the year? and a 3rd year player of the year. this is a zeke based offense, no doubt about it. when zeke rushed for less than 100, we are 1-4. passing has been average when we lose or win. which simply shows its not about Dak or his abilities.

and when you surround any player with top talent, they obviously will become better. that's natural. the question is what can you do with them when you have them and make the offense elite. Given those resources to Goff, they are playing at elite level. given those resources to Wentz and the offense was top 5. Dak had those resources, he was average. now with cooper, a great WR, he is better, but still average.

You freaking still don't get it. You're comparing him to qbs that were drafted 1 and 2 in the first round, the reason they were was because they were seen more talented. Yet Dak outplayed both of them as a 4th rounder. Take those stars away that those 1 round talents have and you get 2016 results from them.

Dre11

Reaction score
so in your opinion, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Luck, Goff, Brees, are all bus drivers.....awesome......

he dropped to 4th round, because he had flaws in his game. in his 3rd year it doesn't matter what round he was drafted. Antonio brown was a 6th rounder. Brady was a 6th rounder and won the superbowl in his 3rd year. expectations change.

he is 28-16 in 2.5 years. he is 15-12 in the last 1.5 years...... and if he continues at this pace, he is rushing towards average after a 13-3 start that was mostly because of Zeke.

Again, you don't get it, I said 90%, the only qbs I see putting their team on their back would be Brady,Rodgers,and Brees.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You freaking still don't get it. You're comparing him to qbs that were drafted 1 and 2 in the first round, the reason they were was because they were seen more talented. Yet Dak outplayed both of them as a 4th rounder. Take those stars away that those 1 round talents have and you get 2016 results from them.
you don't get it. in his 3rd year it doesn't matter any more. you are who you are. the draft evaluations etc. are meaningless after you are in the league....so I am supposed to be giddy that a 4th round QB is playing average because he is a 4th rounder!!!! and those other QBs are more talented.....yes. that's the point. Dak doesn't have their talent. that doesn't make me feel better. and Dak hasn't out played them....he is trending downwards after his lucky first year....... those guys shot past him. Goff left him in the dust.

keysersoze

Reaction score
when you surround any player with other great player, they automatically become better. the question is given Cooper and a great OL and a Great TE, and a great RB can Dak take the team to an elite level or just better level. that's the difference between a great QB and an average one. that's the whole point. Other great QBs have similar weapons and they offenses are elite. and part of the issue with the OL lies with Dak. our running game doesn't seem to suffer, but passing seems to struggle mightily. Also, we are a running team first, not a QB driven team. this team is based on Zeke and what he means to the team. in games he rushed for less than 100 yards we are 1-4. we have been average passing when we lose or when we win.
Look here. I think Dak is good enough to get it done with the right pieces in place. I’m not enamoured with gaudy quarterback stats and such. I seriously only care about team success. We don’t need a 5000 yard passer to win a championship. If it takes a full team effort to win a super bowl, then so be it. By any means necessary.