News: Dallas Cowboys Receiver Cole Beasley: Stardom delayed

jday

Reaction score
Beasley would be beastly with Brady at NE. The short passing game at NE is used like a run. We just don't use him often enough since he is usually the 4th option and now maybe even the 5th once Zeke gets playing time. I don't expect a big year for him with Romo feeding Dez, Butler, Williams, Witten and Zeke.

I disagree. He's the new Witten on 3rd down for Romo. He's not overly fast, but he has a quickness combined with precise route running and excellent hands that makes him a premier target. Again he's not typically a threat to take it to the house, but he's awesome at moving chains... provided Romo is the QB.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
We all saw what he is capable of w/o Romo...so does he retire along w/Romo :D Seriously though, he is a good role player when Romo is healthy but he does that for a lot of WRs as was evident last year. Still can't believe that guy can dunk a basketball (super hops).

perrykemp

Reaction score
Edelman blows goats.
Oh come on, he's unequivocally a top 5 slot WR in the league and has the potential to break out, especially if one of our top WR's get injured.

ETA: It amazes me how many people dump on Beasley...I'm not even a huge fan but you have to give him credit for filling a niche position quite nicely

Beasley has averaged 363 yards receiving over his 4 years in the league.

I think he has been a tremendous value for a UDFA, however, his 5'8" height is always going to hold him back.

I barely know who might be considered in the top 10 for slots WRs in the NFL so I can't argue one way or another if he should be in the top 5.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The Cowboys offensive scheme and play calls are among the worst I've ever seen. I can't think of many teams that are as vanilla and predictable.

Beasley doesn't do well because the routes he's running and scheme to get him involved are terrible. Romo is the X. Factor because he does whatever he wants and gets things rolling. I have zero faith in Linehan and Garrett as offensive minds.

dfense

Reaction score
Lol, I like Beasley, but he's not close to the best slot receiver in the NFL.

Edelman and Cobb are guys that come to mind off the top.

That said, with Romo back, I'd expect him to have a career year.

Your right, Edelman is the best "pick play" slot receiver.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lol, I like Beasley, but he's not close to the best slot receiver in the NFL.

Edelman and Cobb are guys that come to mind off the top.

That said, with Romo back, I'd expect him to have a career year.
My immediate thoughts too. Add in Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, and others too. Sometimes the hype is mind boggling.
Just let Beaz be Beaz and have a nice year.
Forget the "best in the entire league" garbage....it's unnecessary.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys offensive scheme and play calls are among the worst I've ever seen. I can't think of many teams that are as vanilla and predictable.

Beasley doesn't do well because the routes he's running and scheme to get him involved are terrible. Romo is the X. Factor because he does whatever he wants and gets things rolling. I have zero faith in Linehan and Garrett as offensive minds.

Out of curiosity, if they're so vanilla and predictable, why do you think the offense is so successful then? Are our players (when they're in the lineup) just that much better than the other good players in the league?

Beastly is the real 'x' factor on this team. He makes it tough to double Dez on third downs. Adding EE to the roster hopefully gives us a 4th weapon in short yardage (including Witten). It really does make things tough to stop when you have protection in there and a QB who knows where to go with the ball and who can get it there.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, if they're so vanilla and predictable, why do you think the offense is so successful then? Are our players (when they're in the lineup) just that much better than the other good players in the league?

Beastly is the real 'x' factor on this team. He makes it tough to double Dez on third downs. Adding EE to the roster hopefully gives us a 4th weapon in short yardage (including Witten). It really does make things tough to stop when you have protection in there and a QB who knows where to go with the ball and who can get it there.

Romo makes this offense I think last year proved it. The only thing I give Linehan and Garrett credit for is commitment to run. But the passing tree and scheme is not that great.

Yes I think our players are just that good and is a big reason we're successful. But tell me why we rarely put Dez in motion, or line him up inside on crossing routes,slants etc.. where are the screens? I just see a simple offense that does well because it's talent and qb make things happen.

Look at the Steelers, Patriots and Cardinals and their offensive schemes and game plans. They put their weapons in positions to succeed constantly. Thy don't alienate their best wr on the outside all game.